What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Dar

Hyper Poster
I genuinely cannot figure out how this managed to happen? It's like the train stopped on the roll backs but the second car's bogey kept going? Either way there was a fair amount of force to pull it off, and bend the front bogey and catwalk.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The rumours are that Premier put the chain dog onto the wheel assembly, rather than the chassis.
That's kind of a dumb design decision if true, would have thought Premier would know better that a wheel assembly is significantly less strong to support a whole chain than the chassis.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The rumours are that Premier put the chain dog onto the wheel assembly, rather than the chassis.
I was so confused by the photos until I read this. It seems to be the only explanation that makes sense. Crazy! Looks to have caused a significant amount of damage.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Am I right in thinking that this is the first time Skyrocket trains have been used on a lift hill? I'd imagine they needed some small redesign in order to run with a chaindog attached rather than LSM fins.

Also I wonder what'll end up with the damaged track and catwalk, and who'll be footing the bill.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The problem I have with the chain dog theory is that the chain dog is on the left side of the track, meaning it would make more sense for the right-hand wheel bogie to break off. However, the anti-rollbacks are on the right side which makes me think that the train must have stopped on the lift hill, rolled back into the anti-rollback dog and that sudden force on the right-hand wheel bogie forced it to break away.

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
It would appear that Pandemonium at Drayton Manor is up for sale: https://www.interlink-lg.com/used-rides/double-hammer/

Very interesting... we’ll have to see how this story develops.
I always thought that pleasurewood hills would suit pandemonium if Looping group ever decided to do a ride rotation, or for them to use pleasurewood as a Drayton scrap yard...just like what flamingo land did with pleasure Island.

spicy

Giga Poster
Didn’t know where to put this but it’s about B&M and doesn’t really warrant it’s own topic but just watched this video:

Start watching from the 10 minute mark and you will see this.

4113ebc5ef50e02355c60a602bd06369.jpg

I thought B&M’s safety standards were higher than that and assumed there would be a sensor to check that both feet were secured before the train could be dispatched.
Apparently it’s down to the ride ops to visually check and the Six Flags ride ops just dispatched with his leg dangling down!

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
^ not sure B&M are at fault there. Looks like the leg guards are locked in, surely the coaster wouldn't be able to dispatch otherwise. It's down to the ride team to check everyone is secure.

The real question is how does a coaster enthusiast not notice their leg hasn't been secured, surely you'd have to be holding your leg up to avoid the shin guards?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I have several issues with that video. Both from Six Flags and Bybee.

I'm calling buffoonery on behalf of the riders - you'd have to be willingly or complacently stupid to not get your leg locked into those restraints.

Of course, doesn't excuse terrible operations, though. Sensors to detect a rider's leg would be a nightmare - you'd have to also then be checking that someone was in the seat. Generally the assumption for the manufacturers is that the operators follow the guidelines.

Either way, not a B&M issue.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
Six Flags over Georgia is my home park and I've ridden Superman Ultimate Flight 12 times this season. I almost had the same leg issue the weekend before this was filmed because the attendant was in such a hurry. In my case it was early in the day so it wasn't because they were ready to quit for the day. Operations for Superman have been notoriously bad for several years.

Superman already has enough problems that it frequently has multiple seats blocked and half the restraints have to be manually locked, adding sensors would only make it that much worse.

As to the policy about storing loose articles, it depends on the operators. Sometimes you can get away with just leaving them in the storage bins or even on the floor out of the way.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Moved these posts into another thread. Nothing to do with Disney.

(Yes I'm not blameless, but acting now :) )

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah, I have several issues with that video. Both from Six Flags and Bybee.

I'm calling buffoonery on behalf of the riders - you'd have to be willingly or complacently stupid to not get your leg locked into those restraints.

Of course, doesn't excuse terrible operations, though. Sensors to detect a rider's leg would be a nightmare - you'd have to also then be checking that someone was in the seat. Generally the assumption for the manufacturers is that the operators follow the guidelines.

Either way, not a B&M issue.

Agreed, does seem rather convenient that they rode separately, he was front row, and his friend just happened to be filming the train as it come into the station.

Six Flags can’t point the finger at them though as it’s still their fault for dispatching the train.