What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Magic-Man

Mega Poster

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
It caught fire during demolition. They were burning the wood after demolishing it and it got out of hand. The ride was doomed either way unfortunately.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
As for whether the park owner burned this down on purpose… I’m extremely doubtful that that would be the case, personally. Even if they weren’t the most fond of the coaster, I think starting a fire to get rid of it is a very extreme course of action to take, and an incredibly risky way of eliminating it.
you have not kept up with the adventures of Todd "**** your love for this place" Joseph

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
you have not kept up with the adventures of Todd "**** your love for this place" Joseph
Todd Joseph has already proven himself to be capable and willing of much shadier actions, from this management it is not unthinkable that they started a fire as an excuse to acquire emergency demolition permits for a coaster that the town has explicitly told them not to demolish.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Peet

Giga Poster
I hate to see yet another classic wooden coaster bite the dust, especially as I had plans to ride it back in 2020, but I suppose this one has been on the cards for a while.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I can't find any other source aside from 'that Dutch site', but the VR experience at Walibi Holland - NeuroGen - seems to be biting the dust: https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/18423/Walibi-Holland-haalt-VR-attractie-NeuroGen-definitief-weg.html

It didn't run in 2020 or 2021 because of Covid, nor did the associated alone Halloween experience The Clinic.

Interestingly, that part of the park is being rethemed to the Zero Zone (which includes Lost Gravity and the log flume), and the Looopings article does say that "We have come up with a new interpretation for this location [and]We will announce more about that later."
So it will be interesting if something new does come up in that space. And, more importantly imo, if The Clinic has treated its last guests...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re Blue Streak man - I don't get why he's going out of his way to be as cruel and disrespectful to those who loved and support the place as possible?

I understand parks relationships with attractions can at times be a testing one, but to be so blatantly revelling in publicly dismantling something people have cherished memories with seems specifically callous..it's like Disney villain levels of enjoyment. It's very weird.

Re The Clinic - that really sucks. The Clinic is probably the most terrifying and iriginal scare things I ever got to do, and I'm so glad I forced myself through it. It was a visceral, uniquely disturbing attraction and I'll mourn (pun intended) the loss.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Re Blue Streak man - I don't get why he's going out of his way to be as cruel and disrespectful to those who loved and support the place as possible?

I understand parks relationships with attractions can at times be a testing one, but to be so blatantly revelling in publicly dismantling something people have cherished memories with seems specifically callous..it's like Disney villain levels of enjoyment. It's very weird.

Re The Clinic - that really sucks. The Clinic is probably the most terrifying and iriginal scare things I ever got to do, and I'm so glad I forced myself through it. It was a visceral, uniquely disturbing attraction and I'll mourn (pun intended) the loss.

From day one he bought the place, everyone had him pinned on exactly what he would do. I think he didn’t like that everyone wanted him to be responsible and keep it open and proceeded to act like a child.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^The thing is, I get from a business perspective if the ride(s) needed to close. There could be any number of reasons, we don't know what the true state of the thing was, cost of upkeep (eg not just for immediate future but for say...10/15 years in the future, is it worth the investment if it's just going to continue to crumble?), uncertainty due to the panini, etc. I understand.

But from a PR perspective, the cruelty feels unwarranted, and like you say, childish. It feels like a grown-ass man doubling down and literally tearing down a coaster to prove a point. Or just to relish in upsetting people. Which again, from a business perspective, is absolutely bizarre?

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Should say that nothing has been said about Clinic, so it could in theory stay! Despite sharing an entrance, that and NeuroGen are in different buildings, so it's plausible that Clinic could stay and they do something else with the NeuroGen building. The idea still fits with the Zero Zone vaguely, so it's not an outlandish suggestion.

But yeah, if they do decide to get rid of Clinic, it'll be a sad day indeed.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
^The thing is, I get from a business perspective if the ride(s) needed to close. There could be any number of reasons, we don't know what the true state of the thing was, cost of upkeep (eg not just for immediate future but for say...10/15 years in the future, is it worth the investment if it's just going to continue to crumble?), uncertainty due to the panini, etc. I understand.

But from a PR perspective, the cruelty feels unwarranted, and like you say, childish. It feels like a grown-ass man doubling down and literally tearing down a coaster to prove a point. Or just to relish in upsetting people. Which again, from a business perspective, is absolutely bizarre?
I am of the belief the state will be investigating the fire, and I would bet that a lot of dirty laundry comes up.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
While the final outcome here isn't all that terribly surprising, it's still sad to see CL's Blue Streak meet its inglorious demise.

According to RCDB, there are only 26 pre-WWII wooden rollercoasters still operating on the planet, and that number can only ever go down as time keeps on slipping into the future.

Once one of them goes away forever, that's that.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A bid farewell to CL Blue Streak: