What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Xpress

Strata Poster
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron H

Dar said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgKjv6L3Ag[/youtube]

This one shows the brakes before the second lift in action! :)

That train is moving! Our Mountain has been talking about how the purple train has begun testing as well, shouldn't be long before they test all 4 trains and we have an actual dueling ride.

steel

Mega Poster

So they're going to have to dispatch a train about every 90-120 seconds to make the duel happen without deadly stacking on the second lift hill. On a coaster at SFMM... I think they're kind of dreaming there. Not the worst thing that could happen, but still an irritating downside to what otherwise looks like a completely stellar ride.

singforfood

Roller Poster

steel said:
So they're going to have to dispatch a train about every 90-120 seconds to make the duel happen without deadly stacking on the second lift hill. On a coaster at SFMM... I think they're kind of dreaming there. Not the worst thing that could happen, but still an irritating downside to what otherwise looks like a completely stellar ride.

As much as I hate having to buy lockers on rides, I think they would make a lot of sense for TC. Not having guests stumbling to put loose items into cubbies would cut the load/unload times a lot. Also, having to keep track of 4 trains worth of cubbies would make it easier on the Ride Ops.

John Knotts

Mega Poster

RMCs are notorious slow loaders, especially now with added seat belts. So it will be interesting to see how this works. I know with an airtime ride like this one, the ride ops will be lowering the lap bars and OSHA is going to require a strict loose article policy. So we'll see...lol

singforfood

Roller Poster

Oh God, I hope they don't lower them like Xcelerator used to. Or Bizarro at SFNE... staple city. My thighs were throbbing for an hour after the ride.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

singforfood said:
Oh God, I hope they don't lower them like Xcelerator used to. Or Bizarro at SFNE... staple city. My thighs were throbbing for an hour after the ride.

You gotta either make a big show of "I know what I'm doing" or sit forward in the seat when they come to staple it.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Yeah I was gunna say, surely I can't be the only one who sits in a way to give myself a bit of space.

That double down is messed up and oh so right :D It moves there quicker than I expected too, that is gunna be nuts!

Well, that is why we should try to get there opening season, when an attempt is made to race and stay true to the intent.
Eventually, probably quickly, I imagine they'll abandon the racing aspect since it seems probable to cause hassle.
And honestly, I'd rather take a ride that moves quicker and you're solo, than a racing one that really mucks up load times/waits

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

It will be interesting to see how SFMM creates protocol around train pacing, loading, and stacking.

Let's assume worst case scenario, that SFMM only runs two trains on TC. In this case, ride ops would have to hit just over a one minute load time in order for the train to be dispatched and sync up with the previous train's approach to the second lift hill (the shared video has around a one minute run time from the bottom of the first lift hill to the second lift hill, yet we can add a few additional seconds for the pre-lift trick track).

Should ride ops not hit that dispatch time, the trains would be out of sync, and not be able to race.

HOWEVER, as has been discussed in this thread already, should SFMM be able to employ variable chain speed with the lift hill (which they should), they could in essence use the entire second lift hill as a MCBR. That would mean a late dispatch of a train from the station could still sync up with the previous train, should the previous train be slowed to a creep up the second lift hill while the subsequent train goes up the first lift hill at full speed.

*Full Disclosure - this is all based on hypothetical assumptions, and involves no knowledge of TC's block braking design.*

This would especially be helpful when SFMM runs more than two trains, as a slow load time would most likely lead to the next train sitting in the final brake run. Rather than have the following train roar through the course, only to sit second in line in the final brake run creating a real stacking problem, let it slowly ascend the second lift hill to create a better chance of racing.

This is all super conditional with a lot of factors involved; pure and utter speculation on my part. If anything, categorize this under *roller coaster geek dream*. :wink:

Xpress

Strata Poster

The chain speed on the tracks is variable, testing videos have already proven that. It means that they have a large window to dispatch trains, all they have to do is let the system sync the trains up.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

I'm reading some early rider reviews and I'm hearing things like "all ejector" "smooth" yet still "throws you around" the 2nd lift isn't a pacekiller and indeed there seems to be sensors to vary the speed of the green lift, and when they have gotten perfect races supposedly it's made the experience even better.

This bugs me, because I talked myself out of going west for this, since I will have to give up some of my plans back east, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Word on the street is for TC to fully open to the public May 23. Looking forward to even more reviews on the layout - but can understand the "being thrown around" critique.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Hyde said:
Word on the street is for TC to fully open to the public May 23. Looking forward to even more reviews on the layout - but can understand the "being thrown around" critique.

Oops, my apologies for bad wording that was supposed to be a compliment actually!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

I won't steal the thunder of anyone here, but if you need a sneak peak I just saw the TPR video and my god that thing moves through the course. It's the big airtime the west coast sorely needs. I still think it may be lesser than WC just based on layout and flow, but this looks like it may be another RMC to be near the top.
A top 10 that may soon be dominated by RMC : D

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Good lord.

If I get doctor approval, may be taking my niece and nephew up on the next few weeks.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Hot Damn! My positive feelings about this ride can be summed up:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuypE6ISPag[/youtube]

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

I like the mini launch at the start, seemed to have some decent force over those pre lift shenanigans, wonder how it feels in back!?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

There are some reverse povs floating about that are just disgusting in terms of ejector.

That stall looks lethal.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

To me it just doesn't look as good as Wicked Cyclone. I am not really that impressed with it. Other than the fact you get to go around on the blue and green track and its a long ride it doesn't really do much for me. I can't wait until some people start to ride it and give there reactions on it.