What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Intricks

Strata Poster
Thanks to Knotts network over on Twitter, an image has been posted confirming that the King of Wooden Coasters will send its last ride on August 16th.

Is this the start of the rumored RMC conversion?

BpJEODvCYAAahmP.jpg

Edit: Of course typing on my phone WOULD result in a spelling error in my title -,-'''

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Reign of the Wooden King comes to and end.

What makes this the King of Wooden Coasters? Did it get all coup d'etat on El Toro's arse (or Outlaw Run in my case)?

But yeah, a RMC conversion wouldn't surprise me. It's about time Cedar Fair got with the programme.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Ian said:
What makes this the King of Wooden Coasters? Did it get all coup d'etat on El Toro's arse (or Outlaw Run in my case)?

But yeah, a RMC conversion wouldn't surprise me. It's about time Cedar Fair got with the programme.

Colossus is at Six Flags Magic Mountain noob. /snarky coaster comment

I find it odd that they wouldn't hint to a refurb or being "reborn". It hasn't been King for a good 15-20 years anyways, unless they are talking about just the state of California or something.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Ah right, I read "Knotts" in Intricks post and assumed it was there. It's not like it's in Thorpe Park or anything, so I have little need to comment ;)

Intricks

Strata Poster

The picture was posted by knotts_network on twitter originally Ian :3

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

To be fair, when SFFT were closing Rattler, the displayed sign seemed to hint at an indefinite closure too:
Rolling thunder never got so much of a send off.

P1080609.JPG

Therefore, considering the makeover possibilities with Colossus, which didn't really exist with Rolling Thunder, I would consider an RMC makeover inevitable. Also, if they were to completely demolish Colossus, why would they close in August?

I've never been to Magic Mountain, but my general perception of it is that they have a plethora of coasters, but save X2, Tatsu and maybe Superman, they don't really have any world beaters or the finest of the type, unlike somewhere like Cedar Point, for instance. Hopefully, this will change things! Maybe they could run a tamer side and a wilder side side by side? Either way, I'll be really interested to see what RMC can do with this...

Can RMC only produce two coasters a year? If they expand their business, we could be looking at:

2015 - Colossus? (Or 2016)
2015 - SFNE Cyclone? (Just a theory here...) Since Colossus would be such a big job, maybe they'll stick to 2 Iron horses?

2016 - Wildfire
2016 - Twisted sisters? (I believe the park map has it listed as opening in 2016..)

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Ian said:
^ Ah right, I read "Knotts" in Intricks post and assumed it was there. It's not like it's in Thorpe Park or anything, so I have little need to comment ;)

Exactly!!! You can only post comments on parks within a 50 mile (that's like 47,000 kilometers) radius or else!

:--D

bmac

Giga Poster

Colossus definitely won't be able to be completed in time for a 2015 opening, and I remember somewhere that RMC stated that they only had three projects in the works for the next two years. Wildfire, Iron Colossus, and most likely Cyclone (SFNE) since it's got markings absolutely everywhere the track isn't.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

This was rumored way back at Texas Giant media day, and it was said then it would be a two year project (like Giant was). I really REALLY hope they keep it racing, with one train backwards, but I expect it to be just one long track, with the return of the double down.

Also the title of this topic is very misleading, which caused me to make a second topic.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

So they are finally going to give up and use topper track for the last 1/3, huh?

;)

Intricks

Strata Poster

Yeah, but I didnt like the only other format of making this topic title being "SFMM Colossus dies in August".

I paid homage to the text on the banner :3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^^^ That is to assume, they were allowed to race before hand. ;)

P.S. Changed the topic title for better clarity.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
Re: SFMM Colossus to Close: Reign of the Wooden King Ends

Colossus actually wasn't too bad when I rode it about a month ago. Perfect for iron horse though. I don't see them tearing down the structure, just the track. I know this isn't about colossus, but please, DO NOT do iron horse to Cyclone. I have ridden it many times and it just doesn't have a good layout for it. It is very small and very short. Unless if they expand on it isn't going to be as good as any other ones. They should just get rid of the structure and start over. Just get rid of Cyclone and relocate flashback and built a RMC right there. The park already has one of the best steel coasters ever built. Give it a good wood coaster! Also, what do the markers look like around cyclone because I made sure to look for them when I rode the sky screamer and I saw nothing...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Colossus is indeed a very good wooden coaster - I actually have it listed as my 10th overall. What I was taken by was the surprising smoothness, and some particularly good pops of airtime.

Hutch

Strata Poster

CoburnJason54 said:
please, DO NOT do iron horse to Cyclone. I have ridden it many times and it just doesn't have a good layout for it. It is very small and very short. Unless if they expand on it isn't going to be as good as any other ones. They should just get rid of the structure and start over. Just get rid of Cyclone and relocate flashback and built a RMC right there.
I really hope they do it to Cyclone, it needs it (plus SFNE isn't too far from me). I actually do think they could do a good job with the layout. While the ride is compact, it's also quite big. And removing two coasters at once may seem like a bit much (though they should eventually relocate Flashback.)

Tomatron

Giga Poster

I thought it was rubbish. Was probably a good ride when it opened, but with Morgan trains, trimmed it to death and getting rid of the double dip, it was pretty rubbish.

Would have loved to have ridden it around the around when the Griswolds did, but at least RMC doing a rehab and making it good would be great to bring it back to the former glory it's supposed to have had.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster

Today on Six Flags Magic Mountains twitter account I saw they were retweeting articles from the local area about the future of Colossus. Many mentioning them combining with RMC. A good hint in that they will probably Iron horse it, because they are encouraging it closing, but nothing for sure I guess.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

It's the worst kept secret that this is an RMC conversion. There is no debate. It's as much of a slam dunk as a Brit being smug when an American says soccer. **** lock.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

Hyde said:
Colossus is indeed a very good wooden coaster - I actually have it listed as my 10th overall. What I was taken by was the surprising smoothness, and some particularly good pops of airtime.

I agree. I was shocked by how smooth it was when I last rode it in 2012. Quite sad because i thought it was a pretty good classic coaster, but excited for what it may become.