What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

It's got some neat elements but it doesn't look that solid as a ride. It's also pretty grey and sterile and machiney looking. Right, roller coasters ARE machines, but they can look pretty nice! This one just looks like it has zero effort put into it. And the sophomoric ad campaign kinda seals the deal. "SO FAST, SO XTREME, FULL THROTTLE, YOLO" ugh. Hand out free cans of Axe in line while you're at it. e.e

Martyn B

CF Legend

I think I agree with the majority, it looks good, but the **** is the backwards launch all about? Has to be the most pointless 'thing' on a coaster, ever.

tks

Strata Poster

YOLO.

Unless you're a buddhist.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

How can they make a silly claim like "First-ever Top Hat"? Just about every Intamin accelerator has one.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster

YOLO....Yes, you only live once....so go somewhere else and stay away from this waste of time coaster :lol:

Intricks

Strata Poster

Cause of how it is done. It isn't "first ever" as in first to do a top hat. It is more or less a first of its kind element.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

^ Then they should call it something new. If they're going to use the name of an element that already exists, they can't claim it's the "first ever."

It's really not a Top Hat anyway, it's basically just a big airtime hill. The Top Hats by Intamin, Premier, and Maurer Sohne all include a twist on one or both sides.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Whilr I agree with your first part, they already mislabelled the ride as the Worlds Tallest Looping Coaster at 160 feet. The got the right message across, but worded it wrong as Viper is a Looping Coaster at 188'.

False, Sky Rocket has a top hat and it is perfectly straight.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster

Can't tell if they're trying to say it is the tallest inversion ever...if so it won't be, because Gatekeeper will have a 170' inversion...and I don't like them calling the airtime hill/loop thing a tophat either because it is already an element that is on many coasters? I guess it just shows how Six Flags corporate sucks...lol

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

This thing looks mad.. I really need to get my skates on and ride this next year! :D
Well done Six Flags, really cool idea!

_koppen

Hyper Poster

UC said:
The backwards launch looks to make sense to me. Seems like they didn't have enough room for a strong enough launch into the hill from where the ride was, so by launching it backwards and forwards again you can add to the momentum of the ride and gain enough speed with a smaller launch track.

But the ride already has more speed coming in to the launch than it has after the backwards launch.
They could have just launched it through the first time. The backwards launch is just a gimmick.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Maybe SFMM fans that are disappointed should be taught a lesson and switch coasters with St. Louis :)

I would love this coaster at my park, even though we already have Mr. Freeze. Looks like some amazing airtime on that "loop-hat."

Naemuti

Mega Poster

gopats1479 said:
Maybe SFMM fans that are disappointed should be taught a lesson and switch coasters with St. Louis :)

I bet they won't care because they already have like 16 other coasters

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I really dig this ride concept.

The ride layout is rather short, but adding the back and forth launch as a MCBR adds an additional thrill that really changes the pacing of the ride. The top hat built into the loop also seems to be a very clever use of track.

Yeah, it's cool.

Also don't get worked up about the terminology. There is no universal coaster terminology database - each park's PR comes up with their own set. For instance, Cedar Point created both the Strata coaster and Giga coaster classifications.

bmac

Giga Poster

Face it, Premier is carving a nice little niche in the launch coaster concept. I really like Premier's thicker track pieces, it is so much more appealing to the eye than Intamin's 4-beam track. I really hope they offer a sight seeing spot where you can see the loop, it would be a crime not to offer a viewing spot.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ It is a highly visible area, guests will be able to see the coaster from the main causeway and Asian portion of the park on top of the mountain.

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-30%20at%209.32.44%20PM.jpg

Here is the official press release.

Six Flags Magic Mountain said:
Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces World’s Tallest and Fastest Looping Coaster for 2013

Theme Park Firmly Holds Coveted World Record of More Coasters than Any Other Theme Park on the Planet!

VALENCIA, Calif. — August 30, 2012 — Six Flags Magic Mountain today announced another world-record addition to their coaster dynasty with FULL THROTTLE, the world’s tallest and fastest looping coaster slated for the Valencia theme park in 2013. Unlike traditional coasters, this unique, one-of-a-kind triple launch coaster will take the coaster experience to the next generation as riders face a never-been-done-before launch up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of a world-record loop, towering 160 feet — plus a zero to 70 miles-per-hour acceleration on two forward launches and one backward launch into and out of a special effects tunnel. FULL THROTTLE will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy thrills through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in next generation thrills. And, bar none, Six Flags Magic Mountain leads the pack, offering the biggest and the best ... always,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain park president. “As we mark our 42nd anniversary of operation, we’re ready to take Southern California by storm, yet again, with the most comprehensive collection of thrilling roller coasters anywhere in the world.”

To begin their journey through the park’s distinct mountainous terrain, riders are loaded onto sleek black and silver trains, sitting two abreast, and are suddenly accelerated from zero to 70 miles-per-hour in the first of three launches, experiencing their first inversion and thrill of navigating a world-record 160-foot tall loop. Riders then enter into a high-banked curve to the right and then to the left as they approach the second inversion — a Dive Loop that drops them rapidly into a special-effects tunnel. While in the tunnel, the train is dramatically decelerated and stopped, only to be suddenly launched backward up to the high point of the Dive Loop. After a momentary pause, the train drops and is magnetically launched a third time, racing out of the tunnel and through a high G-turn to the left. Riders then race up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of the World Record loop, where riders will experience significant air time and a breath-taking view of the park before dropping back down, rapidly decelerating and taking the final 180-degree turn to the left and returning to the station where riders can catch their breath.

Notice they do not claim world first Top Hat in the press release.

There are also articles floating around interviewing Cedar Point on Six Flags reclaiming the "coveted" coaster title. What's more, it is interesting seeing how specific media interprets Six Flags' tallest loop vs. Cedar Point's tallest inversion.

Naemuti

Mega Poster

bmac said:
Face it, Premier is carving a nice little niche in the launch coaster concept. I really like Premier's thicker track pieces, it is so much more appealing to the eye than Intamin's 4-beam track. I really hope they offer a sight seeing spot where you can see the loop, it would be a crime not to offer a viewing spot.

My experiences with Premier so far have only given me bruises on my ankles.

Of course I've only ridden old Premier rides like Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster. Maybe their newer ones are better (read: NO ANKLE RESTRAINTS).

michaellll

Mega Poster

Hate it. Hate every inch of it.

I'm infuriated, just like some others, that this portion of land is being used for this. Is it interesting? Different? Probably a good choice for the park? Yes.

But it could have been so much more :|