What's new

Six Flags Great America | Maxx Force | S&S Air Launch

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
That's good then. Not that it will speed up operations that much as people will have barely got out the stacked train (unless it's a double length station like cheetah hunt, anyone know??) before the launched one is returning but it will hopefully make a difference.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
That's good then. Not that it will speed up operations that much as people will have barely got out the stacked train (unless it's a double length station like cheetah hunt, anyone know??) before the launched one is returning but it will hopefully make a difference.
Sadly, it's just the single station. One train waits on the brake run until the second train infront entirely leaves the station.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Here's nice a ridercam video of the coaster by ACE, the coaster looks to be going quick over the top!
By the way, it is confirmed to accelerate from 0-78mph in 1.7s, so the acceleration is almost identical to that of Hypersonic XLC (0-80mph in 1.8s).
For the record this is an extremely well done live stream, the timing, the replay, the cinematic shot- all very good

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
POV, anyone?

I've heard nothing but great reviews so far. The general consensus that I have found is that the launch is the best part followed by the heartline roll, the ride is crazy intense and glossy smooth, but also short (as expected), with some people thinking this is the best coaster in the park.

Last edited:

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I mean it looks to have great pacing, but there are what...three elements?... A very stingy layout especially given the speed of the ride.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I actually really like Alvey in the videos.

Yeah, I agree, launch coasters have too stingy layouts. To be fair the technology is expensive plus costly on energy and maintenance. But to be fair, it's mostly Six Flags. I don't get it. Cedar Fair parks tend to add longer, larger rides, albeit a bit less often, but with they're parks the same size as Six Flags parks. Cedar Fair charges only slightly more for tickets, yet they're not in debt.

Hutch

Strata Poster
But to be fair, it's mostly Six Flags. I don't get it. Cedar Fair parks tend to add longer, larger rides, albeit a bit less often, but with they're parks the same size as Six Flags parks. Cedar Fair charges only slightly more for tickets, yet they're not in debt.
Six Flags really screwed themselves over in the 2000s when they would invest in multiple large coasters a year. Their finances caught up to them a few years later and bit them in the ass. With all the debt they've created, they've now resorted to cheaper ride options nowadays.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
The launch will no doubt be epic, and I had no idea if the roll would be intense or so quick ya don't notice, seems like the former. But overall just idk.... the airtime hill seems like nothing and Im sure its fun but damn its not short its like WAY short. BUT Ill await all the reviews. Long as its intense, it will make up for these shortcomings. Regardless Ill likely go next year as part of my Hershey, KW, CP trip!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm currently uploading my videos from yesterday. Please hold off posting them here, as I would like to do that myself along with my opinion of the ride. Thanks
I'm guessing you weren't allowed to film a front row POV since the park filmed one themselves?

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Thank you for the reminder, I had thought they had recovered enough.

I don't think bankruptcy in the magnitude that SF was forced into can ever be fully recovered from.

People get angry at them for adding cheap, short coasters, but they're able to more quickly pay back these smaller investments. It's like using your CC to purchase dinner, and then paying it back at the end of the month. It's not glamourous, but it's far more practical.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm guessing you weren't allowed to film a front row POV since the park filmed one themselves?
That's correct, but their's is not up to our standards (even though I posted it for now) and I'm hoping to return to the park later this year to film one myself.
Of course I got the same multicam video as others...

But I'm the only one who got to ride with Joe...

He's such a down to earth guy. Too bad he hates being on camera, but at least I can always talk him into it anyway.
I also filmed a bit of off-ride footage, even though the area is rather restricted.

So the ride with Joe was indeed my first and my reaction was genuine. The ride blew me away and it's the first new coaster that I (almost) cared more about riding over and over again than filming the thing. That being said, my reaction in the multicam video is also for real. Four rides in and it was still mind blowing.
I know, it's too short. But I would rather have it as is than some mediocre crap that would have otherwise fit into the space available.
And it's a hell of a lot better than similar rides like Stealth, Xcelerator, Rita, etc. And Top Thrill Dragster isn't really any longer, but at least there's a bit more to this than that one.
As far as the launch and elements, all I can say is Wow! The launch is as good, if not better than anything I've ridden. Then there's that amazing double inversion top hat zero-g roll thingy. I've never experienced anything like it. Out of my seat at the top and then floated right back into place on the way down. What a brilliant piece of engineering!
There's also that last element that reminds me of a Norwegian Loop, but with a much better transition. And the whole damn thing is just so silky smooth. I could ride it over and over again. Well almost...
I didn't get to ride in the 2nd or 3rd row of the second car, but I did ride in the very last row. It was so intense that I had to take a break before getting back on. I almost greyed out in the zero-g climbing into the final element. So if you want a nice ride that you could do over and over, ride somewhere other than the back few rows. If you're only riding once, try the back!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
That's correct, but their's is not up to our standards (even though I posted it for now) and I'm hoping to return to the park later this year to film one myself.
Of course I got the same multicam video as others...

But I'm the only one who got to ride with Joe...

He's such a down to earth guy. Too bad he hates being on camera, but at least I can always talk him into it anyway.
I also filmed a bit of off-ride footage, even though the area is rather restricted.

So the ride with Joe was indeed my first and my reaction was genuine. The ride blew me away and it's the first new coaster that I (almost) cared more about riding over and over again than filming the thing. That being said, my reaction in the multicam video is also for real. Four rides in and it was still mind blowing.
I know, it's too short. But I would rather have it as is than some mediocre crap that would have otherwise fit into the space available.
And it's a hell of a lot better than similar rides like Stealth, Xcelerator, Rita, etc. And Top Thrill Dragster isn't really any longer, but at least there's a bit more to this than that one.
As far as the launch and elements, all I can say is Wow! The launch is as good, if not better than anything I've ridden. Then there's that amazing double inversion top hat zero-g roll thingy. I've never experienced anything like it. Out of my seat at the top and them floated right back into place on the way down. What a brilliant piece of engineering!
There's also that last element that reminds me of a Norwegian Loop, but with a much better transition. And the whole damn thing is just so silky smooth. I could ride it over and over again. Well almost...
I didn't get to ride in the 2nd or 3rd row of the second car, but I did ride in the very last row. It was so intense that I had to take a break before getting back on. I almost greyed out in the zero-g climbing into the final element. So if you want a nice ride that you could do over and over, ride somewhere other than the back few rows. If you're only riding once, try the back!
Was there any nice whip on the in-line?

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
Well, that is quite a favorable review! Makes me want to swing by as soon as possible. Thrilled to have this only a short drive away!