What's new

Six Flags Great America | Maxx Force | S&S Air Launch

bernatc22

Mega Poster
I'm guessing it will be a mini-version of Furius Baco's post launch hump, which means it'll probably give a little pop (probably won't full on whack you out of your seat like Baco does though)..

I'm really excited to see this thing in person in June, just gonna hope and pray it will open! I'm guessing the launch will be insane.
Don't think so, Baco's track literally descends a good 5-6 meters from launch height, whereas this looks like small, drawn-out increment in height. I'd be totally surprised if it does affect the forces, and even more so if it gives out some airtime.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm sure we've been through this before...

These straight (or notionally straight) sections on rides are all about taking advantage of our bodies' reaction to changes in force - not absolute force. Your body will suddenly have a reprise in the G-forces from the pull out, which will trick your mind into thinking it's experiencing airtime. OzIris' is a good example - the straight section after the loop feels like an airtime moment, but it's not. It's just a let-up in the exit forces of the loop before the entrance to the Immelmann.

aacceia

Yes the hump that's been built is much smaller than the original rendering, and yes that will soften the forces, but it wasn't ever going to be an insane ejector moment. This could still feel pretty great, especially as you'll be doing 80mph...

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I'm sure we've been through this before...

These straight (or notionally straight) sections on rides are all about taking advantage of our bodies' reaction to changes in force - not absolute force.

Yes the hump that's been built is much smaller than the original rendering, and yes that will soften the forces, but it wasn't ever going to be an insane ejector moment. This could still feel pretty great, especially as you'll be doing 80mph...

Well, it could also be for clearance/layout purposes, which seems to be the case on Yukon. I agree with you about tricking your mind with change of force though.

And really? Is that confirmed about Maxx Force's speed bump? If so, that sucks.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm 100% with Hixee here - those straight pieces of track are brilliant. Banshee could do with one... ;)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
NewsPlusNotes posted a decent article with a bit more information regarding the ride's status. Included are some photos from various Twitter accounts that show off what we've already seen and a bit more. The double inversion is much closer to Raging Bull than we realized, they have yet to build the entire middle portion of the ride, and even more concerning...the station is essentially a foundation still.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2...s.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

EDIT: Someone put a photo on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252Frollercoasters%252Fcomments%252Fbff5cz%252F

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
Will probably be the best element of Yukon Striker tbh… /s
Sometimes not posting is better than **** posting. Just FYI.

After the winter season they had, I'm not really that surprised that it's looking like it's behind schedule. Arguably, the most time consuming element to build is not complete, so hopefully we see it gain momentum.

Snoo

The Legend
Sometimes not posting is better than :emoji_poop: posting. Just FYI.

After the winter season they had, I'm not really that surprised that it's looking like it's behind schedule. Arguably, the most time consuming element to build is not complete, so hopefully we see it gain momentum.

Are you talking weather? The midwest was surprisingly mild this year. Yeah, had some bad days, but not nearly as bad as it has been previously. I mean THE example is Yukon Striker being finished by the two S&S creations at SFGam and Kennywood will both be delayed past opening day. I sense a trend.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Six Flags rarely has their new rides open for the season's opening day(with a few exceptions ofc). I think the last major ride that was open for the start of the season was Superman back in 2003. I'd expect this to open near Memorial Day, maybe mid-June at the latest.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'll chalk it up to poor project planning. We know that Six Flags is notorious for not having rides open even for Memorial Day weekend. As for Kennywood...why did a ride the scale of Steel Curtain go vertical in November? Poor planning.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I know it's a little boring how short this ride is and all, but from a logistics standpoint I can't help but admire how the entire ride is built around two tall structures, with the rest of the track being low to the ground. That means only two points of the construction process requires a tall crane. Maybe you could even get away with having to prepare only two sites for the crane(s) to stand, too. The low-to-the-ground stuff can be done with smaller, mobile cranes. Contrast Hixee's picture of Oz'iriz above, which shows at least four elements where track goes higher than ten meters or so, requiring the builders to move the big cranes around a lot more. That costs a lot of time, which is to say, a lot of money, since renting a crane is expensive.

As far as cost-cutting measures go, it's not particularly glamorous, but it's interesting to see how the ride appears to be designed around the fact.

MagicWeasel

Roller Poster
Are you talking weather? The midwest was surprisingly mild this year. Yeah, had some bad days, but not nearly as bad as it has been previously. I mean THE example is Yukon Striker being finished by the two S&S creations at SFGam and Kennywood will both be delayed past opening day. I sense a trend.

Ugh...... we got a **** ton of snow and had an entire week where it was -25*F. Considering how many days the local kids had off of school and I couldn't even get into work, I'm not surprised construction is behind. Then again, I highly doubt Six Flags ever planned to have this open by the start of the season

Snoo

The Legend
Ugh...... we got a :emoji_zipper_mouth: ton of snow and had an entire week where it was -25*F. Considering how many days the local kids had off of school and I couldn't even get into work, I'm not surprised construction is behind. Then again, I highly doubt Six Flags ever planned to have this open by the start of the season

Ew. We got that same week here in Ohio but it wasn't THAT cold. Chicago is a different beast of course. My thing is that this isn't an enormous install. Had they started sooner, they wouldn't be behind. But then I remember this is Six Flags and if they had not planned on opening it first day, like assumed of course, then any delays will set it back further.

Pear

Strata Poster
Seems a lot of the launch hardware has gone in though. Those are some big air tanks!