What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
bmac said:
It seems to be a little slow with no weight on it but as Sanchez said it's early testing. This ride probably will have the same threats of saddling as El Toro does when the trains are empty and the air is cold if they don't speed the train up.

Time to turn up that local gravity generator, huh?
:lol:

bmac

Giga Poster
I mean using different wheel configurations in order to increase speed but yeah if that doesn't work gravity manipulation will be the only thing preventing this from turning into another El Toro in the cold.

BBH

Giga Poster
Goliath had its third test run today:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nUPn-u_To[/youtube]

Courtesy SFGAm Evaluator on YT.

I was there today but didn't see it testing. So glad to see that space on the east side of the park filled. There was work being done around the ride and the lift hill handrails still need to be finished.

loveagiga

Roller Poster
Can a coaster perform voodoo? Cause Iron Wolf must be doin some sh**. What else could set you back? An earthquake? Lightning? A new plague? This ride is not the best with the press is it?

I give up Goliath, I'll see you after you open whenever the hell that may be.

Glad no one was hurt let alone the damage was minor but damn.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Fi ... 49481.html

Yet through all of this, they release a pov:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bZUdDdPsY[/youtube]

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Honestly, after watching the POV... I don't think the ride looks that great. Outside of the inverted hill, that I love the look of, this seems subpar to say, Outlaw Run.

Lofty

CF Legend
e449c999-e5a2-46a7-ba5a-cf7d0a1c184a.jpg

Seems there was a fire on the roof of the station...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...goliath-at-six-flags-20140606,0,5611171.story

loveagiga

Roller Poster
Do you guys read posts before posting? LOL I posted both the fire incident & pov in one post! ;)

I exchanged my "golden tickets" today at Thrillseekers gift shop for 4 exit passes which was nice to see the park still offering something to guests for the cancelled June 1st event. As for testing - The ride was cycling from about 6:30-9:25pm while we were in the park tonight. It def sped up a tad by the end of the night. I am so excited to see how this ride feels & runs, it's insane. I can wait but I honestly don't want to so I can't ;)

Lofty

CF Legend
loveagiga said:
Do you guys read posts before posting? LOL I posted both the fire incident & pov in one post! ;)

Well, seen as you edited the post after I'd put the pink anyway your argument is invalid ;)

BBH

Giga Poster
For those who don't know, Buccaneer Battle, a Mack Splash Battle, took the place of Déjà Vu in County Fair. When I first saw the top banner, I was incredibly excited. Then I figured it was probably a mistake...

UniItHh.jpg

loveagiga

Roller Poster
I'll give you that then ;D But I seriously have so many typos, I cannot type at all! At all. LOL

I rode Goliath on Saturday for the commercial shoot & I will say it is easily our greatest coaster here. For those of you worried about the length, don't be! The ride delivers on every single element & that zeroG Stall... my god, it is by far the craziest & oddest element I've ever experienced. For those if you able to ride it soon, enjoy! It is simply amazing!! Anywho, Here is some media coverage of this fantastic coaster.

The Weather channel-

http://www.weather.com/video/triple-rec ... ows%2Famhq

The Today Show-

http://www.today.com/travel/wheee-today ... 1D79814759

Intricks

Strata Poster
So I guess Media Day came to a grinding halt today for a short tine period. A wheel broke/got damaged on the train so they pulled the second to use while they replaced the wheel on the other train.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I've heard it's brilliant, looking forward to a full review on it.

Wheel requiring maintenance on media or opening day seems pretty rare considering it's only been used for testing not full day ops. Does it happen regularly then?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
They check wheels every morning, and while there may have been a wheel that was close to be needing changed, they don't change it until it is necessary. First day of the season results in wheel changes too, it's just a constant thing that needs to be changed. 15-30 minutes TOPS to change most wheels.

Mamba went through 20 wheels in a matter of four days(?) when it was over 100 degrees in the summer a few years ago. Fourth of July weekend it only had one train and then it was closed because they were out of wheels until a delivery came in the next day. The problem for that coaster is it was designed with same wheel assembly as Steel Force and Wild Thing, but it runs faster, causing it to eat more wheels.

If it were wheel assembly, big difference, but a wheel is a non story.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Its still alarming though. This is honestly the first I have ever heard of a wheel needing replaced during a media day. Afterwards I can understand, but during a media day in which the 2nd train was, to my understanding of posts from folks there, not even running on the tracks. I can ask several folks I know and see if I305 or Skyrush had to have a train sit out for a bit to have a wheel replaced during their respective media days, as those rides would have had a higher chance of an issue close to this happening than the recent B&Ms opening.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It doesn't matter that it's media day! They've still had to run it hundreds of times, the wheels wear down, they need replacing. They aren't going to replace EVERY **** WHEEL for a media day. That's just moronic, those wheels are **** expensive.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Intimidator 305 and Skyrush weren't run as often then? Im not entirely too knowledgeable on wheels, but dont they all use the poly type wheels? I know there could be different make-up of components for the wheels, but considering neither of the more intense rides had that happen til later, it is a bit of an extremely rare occurance. Which to me, raises my eyebrow.

I mean, that would be like buying a brand new car, and while driving it off the lot the wheel goes flat. It happens regularily throughout the cars life time, it would still make you wonder and raise a question.