ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
My buddy Scott posted another construction update video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9rUugtPJw[/youtube]

njn63

Mega Poster
Looks like it should be testing soon. Six Flags posted on facebook looking for riders for a commercial shoot on the 30th:
Volunteer riders needed for Goliath on Friday, May 30 for commercial shoot. Riders must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be available to be at Great America this Friday, May 30 at 8:30 a.m. OR 1:00 p.m.
- Be able to ride Goliath multiple times, back to back

If you are interested, send an e-mail with your head shot, height, shirt size, contact information and preferred time (8:30 a.m. or 1:00 p.m.) to OfficialSFGreatAmerica@gmail.com
Volunteer riders needed for Goliath on Friday, May 30 for commercial shoot. Riders must: - Be at least 18 years of age - Be available to be at Great America this Friday, May 30 at 8:30 a.m. OR 1:00 p.m. - Be able to ride Goliath multiple times, back to back If you are interested, send an e-mail with your head shot, height, shirt size, contact information and preferred time (8:30 a.m. or 1:00 p.m.) to OfficialSFGreatAmerica@gmail.com

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
What a great looking Steel Coaster this is.
I think Ben has a point and a pretty valid one at that. I know there's wood under those two strips of orange steel and it's therefore a wooden coaster, but with that much steel can you really say it's a woodie?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Voyage has more steel with its support structure, so how calling it wood and this steel makes zero sense to me.

bmac

Giga Poster
Wasn't there a debate about the wood being used that the running rails were placed on or something? If I remember right that's the reason why the I-beam is called a Steel-hybrid and why the topper track is considered a wooden coaster.

If it's too hard to understand:
New Texas Giant = Steel-hybrid
Voyage = Wooden-hybrid
Outlaw Run = Wooden
Medusa = Steel-hybrid
Goliath = Wooden-hybrid

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
tomahawk said:
Voyage has more steel with its support structure, so how calling it wood and this steel makes zero sense to me.
I wasn't talking about the support structure. I was referring to the two thick/wide strips of orange steel that's on top of the wooden running rails. The track defines whether a coaster is referred to as a wooden coaster or a steel coaster, regardless if it's a hybrid or not. Other wooden coasters only have a small/thin strip of steel on top of their wooden running rails and even Outlaw Run only has a single strip of steel on top of it's wooden running rails.
And I'm fully aware of Goliath being a wooden hybrid, but painting the steel strips orange sure makes it look like the company's I-beam steel hybrid coasters.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
There is no line between steel and wood coasters any longer, just blurring, so at this point it's more than fair if people place that distinction in different places.

Trying to force your definition of where that line is, is just being a ______.

Ben

CF Legend
BBH said:
Ben said:
What a great looking Steel Coaster this would be if it was one.
FTFY

Posted while reading your mind.

Oh, dear, did noone tell you the whole "FTFY" thing was over, like, five years ago? It was replaced by actual points and thought.

tomahawk said:

Yeah, as discussed by others, Voyage is widely labelled a hybrid coaster.

I would be more inclined to call this a steel hybrid coaster, like the evolution of things like Gemini, but, either way, you have to have the term hybrid in there, it's not a "woodie".

I wish I could be bothered to do long posts any more, but, just look at the thing. Really.

BBH

Giga Poster
Ok, allow me to add to the conversation. My mistake for reiterating that the topper track coasters are widely considered, including by the manufacturer, to be wood coasters.

There is wood that comprises the track structure. The stack cannot exist without it. People make the argument of "there's no wood between the wheels," but does that make this coaster a steel-grout hybrid coaster? No.

To me, wood coasters have different classification standards than steel coasters. If wood is part of the track, then it's a wood coaster, but only if the track is 100% steel is it actually a steel coaster in my apparently completely uninformed opinion.

Posted while reading your mind.

njn63

Mega Poster
Ben said:
Yeah, as discussed by others, Voyage is widely labelled a hybrid coaster.

I would be more inclined to call this a steel hybrid coaster, like the evolution of things like Gemini, but, either way, you have to have the term hybrid in there, it's not a "woodie".

I wish I could be bothered to do long posts any more, but, just look at the thing. Really.
gemini.jpg

8897742_orig.jpg

Yep, exactly like Gemini.

loveagiga

Roller Poster
Well now that media day has been pushed back to June 6th, I sadly cannot attend anymore. I was excited to see Jerry & everyone else I havent seen in a couple years. Very saddening but hopefully the commercial shoot still happens & I'm able to attend that event.

It sucks the dates have been pushed but if you have been in the park the last few days, you knew it in your gut that there was no way the coaster would be ready by Thursday sadly. Itll be here for years upon years, we're all just excited about this ride! ;)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Don't give up on the media day yet James. I still haven't gotten the email confirming the delay, so Ian and I still haven't worked out what's going to happen.

BBH

Giga Poster
You can only do so many cycles in two days; I honestly doubt it'll be ready by Thursday. In decreasing order of likelihood, here's what I see happening:

1. Media day is pushed back to next Friday and grand opening is pushed back to next Saturday.
2. Media day is pushed back one day to this Friday and grand opening remains the same.
3. The schedule is kept as is.

Most likely, it'll be option number one, but I wouldn't completely discount the other two with how much these guys are hauling some major ass.

D1993

Hyper Poster
Commissioning trains is also a major pain in the ass, that takes a lot longer than you would think.
I don't even feel like they'll be ready by June 6th. Six Flags ready, perhaps - but not ready ready.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I received a confirmation email from the park that "June 6 is our next target date" for media day and loveagiga (James) got a message that the commercial shoot has also been delayed. With the winter they had I guess it was to be expected, but they are really busting ass to get it done from what James has been telling me over the past three days he's spent at the park.
Here's another video update from Scott at Upstop Media:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8tjAkO3RKM[/youtube]