What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

That arch is ugly too, it looks like the Silver Jubilee Bridge.

I can't wait for Americans to tell me it's because we don't have one in Europe, totally ignoring the fact that we actually leave our countries so could just, go <3

What is with all the senseless bitching? If you don't like how the ride looks, then nobody's forcing you to go to the park and stare at it all day long. Tired of hearing all this bull ****. Enthusiasts, always needing something to complain about.

Personally I think the ride aesthetically looks great, but I like the look of wooden structures in general.

Posted while reading your mind.

Ben said:

I can't wait for Americans to tell me it's because we don't have one in Europe, totally ignoring the fact that we actually leave our countries so could just, go <3
When your countries are the size of our states it's kind of hard not to leave your country.

Did you mean to say continent?

Zumanjaro already has been delayed so I'm not holding out for Goliath to join the party, too.

njn63 said:
Ben said:

When your countries are the size of our states it's kind of hard not to leave your country.

Did you mean to say continent?

I didn't want to confuse you by using a big word.

tomahawk said:
Also Lofty, pretty sure if the wood didn't have to be there, it wouldn't. So have a nice **** day.

I'm not debating that at all, it's obviously there to be a structurally sound piece of support for the track, I'm saying it's ugly, that's all, not the functionality of it.

Lift structure in place (the track over the lift isn't yet though)

(image from their webcam)
1400313285921759.jpg

It DOES look ugly. It does look very nice too... just hope its open on time(ish).

I like how it looks. Very intimidating. Also, I like the massive structure for both the turnarounds and the immelman. The only problem is the ride lenght, but keeping in mind that Furius Baco was my favorite coaster (and would still be if it was running like the first year) and is even shorter I think I could live with having one of this near my house :lol:

SFGA posted a video of the topping off featuring drone footage by RCDB's Duane Marden:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CaTIuNYJBw[/youtube]

Duane's full drone video and check out the new RCDB update at the bottom of the site's home page. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFegSUL2ijE[/youtube]

Here's some more photos posted from the park's FB.

1979367_10152039711401356_2636627287605097710_o.jpg

1540505_10152039708711356_6604221116514598219_o.jpg

It looks like they just have to place a bit more track and hopefully get around to testing.
10295912_10152039710431356_5939870276493613624_o.jpg

When I saw the updated animation, I originally wasn't too fond of the appearance. But I'm gonna wait until it's completed and then form a proper opinion about it. The orange track is starting to grow on me.

As I posted on SFGAmWorld, the beginning of the drop has been installed:

1400398605640890.jpg

This coaster is gorgeous! Can't wait to hopefully get to Chicago next year to ride this!

One thing I'm interested to see is how they do the area around the ride. Anything would be better than the gaudy monstrosity that was YOLOcoaster's plaza, but with the Roman theming going into this, Six Flags has an opportunity to create something that could rival Cedar Fair's latest additions, so I really hope they take it and run with it.

2012Jarrett said:
This coaster is gorgeous! Can't wait to hopefully get to Chicago next year to ride this!

One thing I'm interested to see is how they do the area around the ride. Anything would be better than the gaudy monstrosity that was YOLOcoaster's plaza, but with the Roman theming going into this, Six Flags has an opportunity to create something that could rival Cedar Fair's latest additions, so I really hope they take it and run with it.
If you need a tour guide around the park when you come...well there's an old Black Keys song that goes "...then I'll be your man..." :lol:

I think it looks really good. I know people like to beef about how the structure looks and I can see that, but personally I think it's such an intimidating-looking coaster that was executed really well aesthetically.

^ Changing the supports for the first drop to steel and going with a minimal structure has done wonders for looks.

I want to dispel a major misconception about this ride: the structure was not changed between the release of the first and second video. I'm on mobile so I can't post the video right now but Coaster Crew's interview with Alan Schilke shows Alan hinting to this type of lift structure. It's been like this from the beginning but I'm sure SF released two videos for marketing purposes.

^ It can also be a case of the original video being developed before the final call was made on the lift hill structure - much more costly for a video developer to start from scratch on design than to continue with older plans.

Just look at Maverick's original animation video. While the barrel roll was obviously taken out, there were a number of thematic bits that never made it past the drawing board. Friends familiar with the construction of Maverick said those elements were cut in the early stages, but had been rendered before the final say was given.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjL86C6RJF8[/youtube]