What's new

Six Flags Fiesta Texas | "Iron Rattler" |Steel Hybrid

Ben

CF Legend
The drops look fab, but other than them it's just a load of corners and a Zero-G which no one would give a crap about if it was steel. Well, you know, totally steel. Causeitishalfsteel.

Such a gimmick and I just don't get it <////3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
At the end of the video you can see a stretch of little hills, which don't look like much, but if it is anything like Giant, it will be a lot better than it looks in the final stretch.

The drop after the turns will probably have some of the most extreme ejector anywhere.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Looks like the best ride of 2013. Hands down. The YOLO Coaster (I like that name for it) is a gimmick, Gatekeeper looks awesome but doesn't have that extra uniqueness besides being a wing coaster, and Gold Rusher looks even more amazing but (again) just doesn't have enough uniqueness to even be considered. Only competition is Outlaw Run.

andrus

Giga Poster
This sure looks awesome :--D Just hope there are some bunny hops at the end as well! It really takes advantage of the quarry setting, those two drops over the cliff walls look stunning!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
The drops look fab, but other than them it's just a load of corners and a Zero-G which no one would give a crap about if it was steel. Well, you know, totally steel. Causeitishalfsteel.

Such a gimmick and I just don't get it <////3

I'm not really sure if materials are that important in the big picture. The average park goer doesn't see "Woodies" or "Steels" like we do, they see "Coasters" and are happy with that. We measure and categorize the rides we have, keeping a clear difference between wood coasters and steel coasters, but to most people, that difference doesn't matter. It's a fun ride nonetheless.

I think it a wooden coaster fits better in some situations than steel coasters would. Wood coasters create their own sort of atmosphere, they fit in the "old and rickety" setting, and they stand out visually with their intricate structures and old-timey woodiness. They also provide fun rides, for the most part, but they can't do the insane things steel coasters are capable of. Traditionally, you build wood for "ricketyness" and atmosphere, and steel for a wild ride.

These coasters, however, bring out the best of both. They have the atmosphere of a woodie (in the public eyes, mind you), looking sort of old-fashioned while performing wild maneuvres. The roar of the woodie with the grace of the steel, so to say (It's past midnight. Bear with my posting).

I wouldn't call this a Hybrid coaster. I like the sound of "Composite coaster" better. You pick two materials with properties that compliment each other, and fuse them into one structure utilizing the best of both. Like reinforced concrete or fibreglass, you mix the best properties of your ingredients and get a product which can do both things. The result in this case is a woodie-looking coaster which can do inversions. Launches too, probably. It also doesn't age as bad as quickly, and load bearing elements can be reinforced with steel beams so you don't have to replace boards every other week.

I think it is a wonderful idea, and am for more composite coasters in the future. Woodies and steels are cool in their own right, but a mix every now and then isn't half bad either. After all, there are still a lot of "single-material" rides out there for purists.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Spot on! I really like the "composite coaster" phrasing! To me the RMC creations brings the best of two worlds and I don't understand the negative criticism some people are moaning about.. :?

Snoo

The Legend
^Especially when **** like the YOLO coaster comes out.. and people are hating on this? Silly.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Off topic: Wow. Yolo-Coaster is catching on.

On Topic: Don't understand the hate. It makes such perfect use of the quarry wall and the inversion looks like it belongs.

RMC is doing real well with these Iron Horse redo's. :D

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
That drop is the reason I think this will be making best new coaster of 2013. As for the rest of the ride outward 90* banked turns are epic and this will probably be the definition of a back row coaster, from that drop to the drop off the quarry wall into the tunnel. Also the trains look so open it's amazing.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
The Iron Horse redo would be great with The Boss. It's way too painful, plus the setting is amazing.

I personally think that the zero-g roll actually works quite well. Its place in the layout is perfect and it kinda breaks up the rest of the ride.

bmac

Giga Poster
558546_10151084309443145_1186699383_n.jpg

Given that this is a computer generated image it looks like there's going to be a lot more than just one barrel roll in there, lol. I'm sure that the other two in this image are just two of the four overbanks they were talking about.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I figured this would have more re-working than NTG because Rattler was such a horrendous ride, while NTG was kept largely the same and improved.

What can you say? Looks epic!

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^The variation in layout and the previous structural strength of the original rattler will also add to the build time.

Could we really ask for much more? I can barely find any adequate criticisms of any aspects of the ride! The vast blend of overbanks, hills and drops should provoke a unique and undoubtedly thrilling ride, in addition to the tunnel,which is a nice touch. In fact, the integration with the terrain is far larger too.

I'm glad they've omitted the pointless helix....however I'd love to see an Expedition Everest - esque low flying and forceful helix in the latter half of the ride.

joe3579

Roller Poster
I don't think I've been this excited for a Six Flags coaster since El Toro. It looks like It will have a really unique layout.

billybobjoebob

Mega Poster
that hill at the end of the old helix section looks to me like Toro's rolling thunder hill with an extended drop :shock: should produce a lot of airtime!!! :--D

Lofty

CF Legend
Immactuslly loving all the terrain interaction. It definitely is more lively to the meandering above 3x or however man times it used to do it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Whilst I do think this looks great, there is still waaay too much use of them banked turns. 1 or 2 yeah, but 4+ and it just gets a bit repetative.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas | "Iron Rattler" |Steel Hybrid

Martyn B said:
Whilst I do think this looks great, there is still waaay too much use of them banked turns. 1 or 2 yeah, but 4+ and it just gets a bit repetative.

This.

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas |

Intricks said:
Martyn B said:

This.

I wonder if people said the same when Millennium Force was being built...

I want to see what's happening on the other side of that tunnel myself.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Not really. People were still busy **** themselves over how vastly taller and faster it was than anything else in history.