What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Re: Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Wooden Hybrid Coaster

Antinos said:
Gazza and Ben, I'm fully aware of how topper track is built. Wooden coaster rails are made of nine to eleven boards of wood. Topper track only replaces the top two layers of wood. Even though there's more steel in rails with topper track than traditional wooden rails, they're still mostly wood. You both realize that - you stated it in your posts, so I don't see why you can't grasp that it's considered a wooden coaster.

[/beating a dead horse]
To me it's sorta as if the bottom layers of wood are "for show"....Obvs they have to perform the loadbearing function.
But at the same time the steel track and was all preformed and what determines the ride. The 6 or so layers of wood are just chocking up the track really... Could equally put bricks in the same spot and ride would feel no different.

I see those layers of wood no differently to the rubber dampers holding up an otherwhise concrete bridge.

It's definitley a "3rd category" coaster IMO.

Ben

CF Legend

UC said:
The wood is necessary to support the steel track. The toes do not.

Alright, I'd love to see it go round without the ties, then we'll see how not necessary they are.

This all stemmed from someone saying this coaster was all wood. I agree it should be a third category.

So, going right back to the route of this that has since been lost, if this is a third category of wood/steel hybrid thing, it's clearly not all wood. I never said anything about the track, I can see that's wood. My point was to say this ride is all wood is wrong. And that's stillllll true.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Personally, I think that if there's any amount of wood in the part of the track that the coaster runs on, the coaster's wooden. There's wood in this coaster's track, but the wheels don't run on it, so I don't think this is a woodie. I think it's a hybrid like New Texas Giant, but that doesn't mean that these rolls aren't extremely revolutionary. Can't wait to see more pictures!

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

I think we should hereafter refer to hybrid rides as a new name... like "Stoodies" or "Wosteels".
Just to avoid arguments if anything. Plus it sounds funny. :lol:

steel

Mega Poster

Why can't why just call it a hybrid? That's clearly what it is... I don't think anyone will try to argue that it isn't a hybrid.

bmac

Giga Poster

I wonder how much shorter this thread will be if we deleted the wood vs. steel discussions...

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

tomahawKSU said:
Do you consider coasters that have gotten topper track on them (Cyclone SFNE, Tremors Silverwood) to be steel, or are they still wooden? Nobody will argue those are steel...it's the same argument. This is wood.

None have 100% topper track replacement. All were built as wood coasters. Between blurring and grandfather clause, what's the issue?

See also: previous post about coaster tools like to argue.

marc

CF Legend

I have read through the fast few pages. As much as I just hope it's a good coaster etc for me this is a wooden structure but a steel coaster simply due to the train actually being locked into the steel track and not just running on steel tracks.

I'm not getting involved in the whole argument over this. But this also happens in the uk when people call the ultimate wood.

If its just the inversion that uses that much steel then I will change my mind, but if it's like the one in Texas then no it's not.

Intricks

Strata Poster

It is just the inversions. Plus, NTG uses their Iron Horse track, not the topper like this is getting.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

What do you guys honestly think "wooden coaster" means? Who made up this ridiculously specific idea in the first place? Being a woodie is a concept, a concept about coaster being made of wood. This is a coaster made of wood. Yes, it has steel coaster attributes, but it's still predominantly a wooden coaster. It looks like one, it's going to behave like one, it's going to feel like one, it presents itself conceptually as one. It's a wooden coaster.

marc

CF Legend

Joey for me a wooden coaster is about running free, just running on a strip of metal not held to the track by wheels under the train.

As said if its just the inversion with them steel tracks then yes it's wood.

That's my view on it anyway.

Last post from me.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Except for Scenic Railways/Side Friction coasters, Don't most woodies have wheels under?

bmac

Giga Poster

Gazza said:

Except for Scenic Railways/Side Friction coasters, Don't most woodies have wheels under?

Been that way for almost 80 years unless you're looking at what you've mentioned. Don't forget the flying turns!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Alright, this is running way too long. Let's get to the end conclusion and fast.

Wooden Coaster track is defined as running rails made of flattened steel strips mounted on wood.

Steel Coaster track is a track completely made of steel.

With regards to Rocky Mountain Construction, they make two types of track:

Topper Track - Similar to traditional Wooden Coaster track, this track uses a thicker piece of steel for the top portion of the track, which is mounted onto wood. The thicker steel allows for a smoother ride, more dynamic elements, and less frequent maintenance. Rocky Mountain has already converted numerous wooden coasters to this type of tracking. This is defined as wooden coaster track.

Track Before Topper Track Installation (notice thin strips of steel on top and sides of track)

69032_154376711266124_4102775_n.jpg

Track After Topper Track Installation (notice larger strips of steel on top and side, while track is still majority wood)

206343_197538593616602_6643522_n.jpg

Iron Horse - This model replaces the entire wooden coaster track structure with 100% steel (not mounted to any wooden tracking). Like Topper Track, coaster trains can perform more dynamic elements as more steel allows for a more rigid track. Since there is no wooden in the track, the coaster is considered a steel coaster.

33679_154374857932976_380004_n.jpg

Outlaw Run will feature Topper Track, which is a majority wooden track with thicker steel sections on top. As there is still wood present in the track, Outlaw Run is defined as a Wooden Coaster, as is made evident in Rocky Mountain's own definitions of its two track styles.

It is clear however that Outlaw Run is a non-traditional wooden coaster. This is in part because it uses a non-traditional track method, incorporating more steel than its wooden counterparts. For this reason it would be most accurate to define Outlaw Run as a hybrid coaster, taking advantage of steel elements while still relying on wood for tracking.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

1) Wood - wooden supports with steel tracks, in the 1900's I guess wood track may of been used
2) Steel - Only use steel supports & track
3) Hybrid - Wood supports with steel & wood track.

If you don't like a ride on how it's build then don't go on it, just be thankfully coaster companies create design's which push the limits in new directions etc.

AltonTowersFan

Mega Poster

^No, no and no. A wooden coaster is when the track and supports are wood (the track has a small amount steel), a steel coaster is made out of steel and a hybrid has a steel track and wooden supports, or a wooden track and steel supports.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ And in the case of Outlaw Run, it would be fair to still call it a Wooden Hybrid. While its track is steel pieces mounted on laminated wood (which is how every wooden coaster is constructed), the increased amount of steel in the track allows the ride to perform a wider variety of elements, many of which we find on steel roller coasters.

Outlaw Run is the next step for Wooden Coasters, as it is a wooden coaster. The use of steel-like elements reasonably bumps it into the class of Wooden Hybrid.

Snoo

The Legend

Hyde244 said:
Alright, this is running way too long. Let's get to the end conclusion and fast.

Wooden Coaster track is defined as running rails made of flattened steel strips mounted on wood.

Steel Coaster track is a track completely made of steel.

With regards to Rocky Mountain Construction, they make two types of track:

Topper Track - Similar to traditional Wooden Coaster track, this track uses a thicker piece of steel for the top portion of the track, which is mounted onto wood. The thicker steel allows for a smoother ride, more dynamic elements, and less frequent maintenance. Rocky Mountain has already converted numerous wooden coasters to this type of tracking. This is defined as wooden coaster track.

Track Before Topper Track Installation (notice thin strips of steel on top and sides of track)

69032_154376711266124_4102775_n.jpg

Track After Topper Track Installation (notice larger strips of steel on top and side, while track is still majority wood)

206343_197538593616602_6643522_n.jpg

Iron Horse - This model replaces the entire wooden coaster track structure with 100% steel (not mounted to any wooden tracking). Like Topper Track, coaster trains can perform more dynamic elements as more steel allows for a more rigid track. Since there is no wooden in the track, the coaster is considered a steel coaster.

33679_154374857932976_380004_n.jpg

Outlaw Run will feature Topper Track, which is a majority wooden track with thicker steel sections on top. As there is still wood present in the track, Outlaw Run is defined as a Wooden Coaster, as is made evident in Rocky Mountain's own definitions of its two track styles.

It is clear however that Outlaw Run is a non-traditional wooden coaster. This is in part because it uses a non-traditional track method, incorporating more steel than its wooden counterparts. For this reason it would be most accurate to define Outlaw Run as a hybrid coaster, taking advantage of steel elements while still relying on wood for tracking.

For those who missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.