What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Re: Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Wooden Hybrid Coaster

No matter what amount of wood they put in this, it cannot POSSIBLY "feel" like a true woodie.
It will be very, very smooth (too smooth), and it has INVERSIONS, for **** 's sake.
So why did they not just make an entirely steel coaster? I simply don't understand why wood even needs to be involved. Also, if this thing manages to test and open without a couple delays/problems at least, I'll be very surprised.

bmac

Giga Poster

IntaminToWin said:
No matter what amount of wood they put in this, it cannot POSSIBLY "feel" like a true woodie.
It will be very, very smooth (too smooth), and it has INVERSIONS, for **** 's sake.
So why did they not just make an entirely steel coaster? I simply don't understand why wood even needs to be involved. Also, if this thing manages to test and open without a couple delays/problems at least, I'll be very surprised.

aesthetics. It wouldn't hit as hard if the ad campaigns were "3 inversion steel roller coaster!" instead of "world record breaking, 3 inversion wood coaster!"

This ride is being built using a very similar prefabricated construction style which RMC has experience doing, I mean they did build El Toro, so there shouldn't be anything majorly wrong with Outlaw since they have built a similar (although less extreme) version of it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

IntaminToWin, you do point out a very good point in the midst of all this.

In many ways there is a diminishing return on these new processes for wooden coasters. For all of this effort you put into a wooden coaster to make it feel smoother and have more radical elements; does it really outweight the benefits of just installing a steel coaster?

This will be a very important pulse to follow in years to come as we most likely see more Rocky Mountain woodies being built.

Will the thrills and ride experience still outweigh the inevitable upkeep of a wooden coaster in 10 years?

Gazza

Giga Poster

The thing is though, SDC already has a sit down looper...This looks and feels very different.

Why did they build Gemini or mine trains with wood supports? It looks nice!

Same thing here.

kimahri

CF Legend

I'm agreeing on this not feeling like a woodie. Another dead coaster to me regardless of it actually being good or not.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Here is a nice documentary on Outlaw Run that interviews some of the park engineers behind the project.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zcePfwJeA[/youtube]

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

Wow it only cost $10 million, that has got to be a pretty great price for such a high profile ride especially for the prototype factor, of course I imagine that SDC got the trains for a reduced price since they're prototypes also.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I'm confused. Is there still some type of rail going on where the holes/pegs (I can't tell) are? or is it already done?

Jer

Strata Poster

Those rolls look they have have a horrible heart line, reminds me of the rolls on chiller, and we all remember what happened to those.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

I thought this ride would be weird and a bit stupid. It, in fact, looks sex.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

image_7.jpg

WHAT IS THAT?.... seriously.... something funky is being smoked at the RMC offices.

bmac

Giga Poster

I'm beginning to think that RMC is from htraE (aka Bizarro World)...

htrae.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster

So... I guess it'll give some airtime?

Lofty

CF Legend

I think it's gonna give some strange sidewards airtime, I like it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Just give it to me already. This thing looks amazing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Lofty said:
I think it's gonna give some strange sidewards airtime, I like it.

They'd be called laterairls? weeowww ;)

Lofty

CF Legend

****, I feel stupid now. I might as well take you up on that offer of the section of wooden coaster you're selling ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I've got some steel bolts form the construction of this due in today as well. Well, if I can make it to B&Q before they close ;)

I did actually deliberately misspell it by the way, because I think you're probably right actually.

While the feeling will essentially be like a lateral (as in "wham, bang into the side of the car"), you WILL also get some really odd sideways airtime mixed in with it. I'll bet it's the oddest pain anyone will ever feel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.