What's new

Silver Dollar City | Mystic River Falls | River Rapids

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
But whyyyy seat belts?
I'd assume it's because Mystic River Falls has an 82 foot drop; although the deceleration forces at the splashdown would merely throw you into the center of the raft without a restraint, that is definitely be something most parks would want to prevent.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
But whyyyy seat belts?
So I've had an evolution of thought on seatbelts, especially after riding Barge's Bilge Rats at IoA - while you can put me squarely in the anti-seatbelts-on-water-rides camp; seatbelts arguably allow for larger, elaborate layouts. This ride, Infinity Falls (SeaWorld), etc. do have seatbelts, but also have massive drops and water feature. So maybe... it's a necessary evil?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
But whyyyy seat belts?
Because standing up on the River Rapids might be the single most dangerous thing a guest can do at an amusement park, on par with climbing over fences to retrieve a lost hat. If a jolt sends you tumbling out of the boat, you can quickly end up under it, or between the boat and the trough, or be sucked towards the grates over the water intakes, or sent into the path of the next boat, or caught in machinery, or probably a hundred other awful places you could feasibly be stuck for the rest of your life. Might as well tie the guests down to prevent that from happening, particularly on the largest and wildest rapids attractions.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
One thing I really hope they have on this ride is center console plastic covers - huge godsend with stashing bags and keeping them dry during the ride, and (honestly) reduces the "entry barrier" for folks to jump on a water ride; having to pay for a separate locker fee can often be a deal breaker for hopping onboard.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
One thing I really hope they have on this ride is center console plastic covers - huge godsend with stashing bags and keeping them dry during the ride, and (honestly) reduces the "entry barrier" for folks to jump on a water ride; having to pay for a separate locker fee can often be a deal breaker for hopping onboard.
Preach!

Why are people so anti-seatbelts on these? I get that they cause a bit of extra faff or whatever but I have honestly never been on a rapid ride and been having a fab ol' time watching others or myself get soaked and thought "well, I have a seatbelt on so this actually sucks."

This looks amazing, and the lift looks terrifying! I don't care about the belts because it's not like they're constricting OTSRs or anything, merely a safety precaution. If I have to wear a belt to experience an awesome attraction then I am more than happy to do so.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’d imagine the seatbelt is very much necessary for the drop!

Everyone’s open to their own opinion, but I’d personally much rather a seatbelt than no rapids rides being built at all, which is probably the other option in this day and age!

cocoa

Mega Poster
**** i gotta get back to this park. I was last there when grand exposition coaster was new...

living in australia is way better than kansas city, except where rollercoasters are concerned