What's new

SFMM | West Coast Racers | Premier Quad Launch Möbius Sky Rocket

kenny cook

Mega Poster
land clearing and prep has already begun in cyclone bay for magic mountain's assume 2019 coaster, however, there's still a lot of speculation. here's what we know for sure, from the surrounding park area:
-walls are placed on the entire left side of the land
-no rides have been shut due to this closure, only practically abandoned gift shops and stores
-there's major construction work taking place inbetween cyclone 500 go karts and apocalypse: the ride
-the only non-upcharge attractions still running in cyclone bay are jet stream and apocalypse
-markers have been placed in various locations throughout the land
-apocalypse is themed to.. well, the apocalypse, cyclone 500 is themed to racing, and jet stream doesn't really have a theme

here's what's been stated through a source:
-six flags was looking at a mack rides coaster
-apocalypse would cost a lot to retheme due to the large amounts of money (over 1 million) they poured into giving it an abandoned theme in the first place
-aftermath 2: chaos rising (arguably the most popular maze for fright fest with a killer capacity) and has all it's sets bolted and cemented down in the area behind apocalypse where it has been for the past couple years

here's what i'm predicting:
-one of those mack rides spinning launched coasters, announced at IIAPA, inspired by the skyrocket II
-this said mack rides spinner will be scaled up, similar to crazanity, to make sure it's big, bad, thrilling, and most importantly, holds records of some kind (tallest and fastest spinning coaster in the world??)
-this coaster will be placed in the large strip of land where all the buildings are being knocked down, in the centerish of the new land
-due to the cyclone 500 racing attraction being next door, i predict it'll be themed to something hot rods (maybe under the trademarked name greezed lightning)
-apocalypse will be cut out from this newly themed land, they'll retheme the slingshot and restaurant across the way and make it its own mini land
-there will be a couple kiddie flats thrown into the new area to try and get the entire family back in their new thrill land

so here's my question, what do you think is coming to cyclone bay?? do you think it'll be a coaster?? what kind of theme do you think this new area will have?? do you think it could be split into 2 to exclude apocalypse?? let me know!!

Matt N

CF Legend
According to Screamscape, this ride could potentially have a racing theme, as a recent Six Flags survey has apparently asked guests about potential names such as Cataclysm, Sin City Racers, Speed Demons, Dynamo, MaxxForce, Voodoo, Twin Turbos, Catapult, Ricochet and even XLR8, which would be a nice homage to Six Flags AstroWorld and their suspended coaster, which I believe was the first successful suspended coaster (Note the word successful, as I am aware of the original Bat at Kings Island, but that's a story for another day). Anyway, I'm not personally a fan of too many of these names; my choice would probably be either XLR8 for the history links or Cataclysm, as I do actually quite like that. Dynamo is OK too. But some of the others... I'm not a fan. Seeing MaxxForce spelt like that made the inner GCSE English student within me facepalm!

What is interesting, though, is that many of these names are plural; for example, you have Sin City Racers, Twin Turbos, Speed Demons; all plurals. So maybe we could be seeing some kind of duelling coaster from this. Or maybe it was intended for another Six Flags project.

Also, Lance is saying exactly what many in this topic are saying about it possibly being Mack Rides. I'm not too sure, personally. I can see a compact Time Traveler-style ride working quite well at SFMM, so I'm intrigued to see what the next couple of months hold.

Peet

Giga Poster
Yeah I filled in that survey too, one of the questions was something like "which of these names sounds like a double/twin roller coaster?", with some of the options you mentioned there. There was also a completely crazy animation of a new ride replacing Superman using the same structure. But it was so ridiculous it wasn't even worth sharing.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah I filled in that survey too, one of the questions was something like "which of these names sounds like a double/twin roller coaster?", with some of the options you mentioned there. There was also a completely crazy animation of a new ride replacing Superman using the same structure. But it was so ridiculous it wasn't even worth sharing.
Is there any way that I might be able to fill out this survey to see the rest of it, out of interest?

Peet

Giga Poster
No it was incredible and everyone needs to see it
Ha fair enough. It was the quality of the No Limits work that amazed me, it looks like a 12 year old's first ever attempt at a NL track.

Is there any way that I might be able to fill out this survey to see the rest of it, out of interest?
I don't think you'll be able to access that survey again as it was a couple of months ago but you can sign up for the "Six Flags Advisory Panel" here to get future surveys:
https://feedback.sixflags.com/advisorypanel/joinpanel.aspx

Pear

Strata Poster
Screamscape is reporting that SFMM might be getting a new Mack coaster in 2019!

New Coaster / Cyclone Bay Update - Rumor - (7/2/18) The latest map being given out at Six Flags Magic Mountain confirms that the Cyclone Bay area will be home to the park's next major renovation and attraction(s) next season. The weird thing is that they have removed Apocalypse from the map along with a note that the "rides and attractions in this area will be temporarily unavailable while we build an exciting new project for the future". So does this mean Apocalypse is closed until further notice? Last I heard it was still open, though getting a bit bumpy and in need of some retracking. Stay tuned!
Oh... one more interesting note that helps back up the rumors that SFMM may be getting a Mack coaster for their next project... the one rumored to have some kind of racing theme. A documentary video in French goes on site to Europa Park and the Mack Rides plant as part of a lengthy video about their theme park operations. While there and looking at some video of that park's new Eurosat CanCan Coaster trains in the shop, they then walk into a nearby room and show off some new track being manufactured. They explain that the track is for a new coaster going to the US in California, and it sounded like it said the budget was around $20 million.
Of all the park's in California, the only park rumored to be getting a new coaster for 2019, let alone a new Mack coaster, is Six Flags Magic Mountain at this point. Meanwhile the only other known Mack coaster coming to the US in 2019 would be for Carowinds.

Here is the documentary mentioned in the post. The California part is mentioned a little after the 1:28:00 mark.

Cyclone Bay has also been shut down to prepare for the new ride and Apocalypse will be receiving some work as well.

db_2018_0701_SFMM_Map-ClosedCycloneBay1.jpg

I'm really excited to see what the park does for their big 20th coaster (even though they technically already have 20 if you count the 2 sides of Superman)!

Matt N

CF Legend
I think there's already a topic. But yes, I am also interested to see what Mack Six Flags might conjure up. Not sure if they'd spend $20million or not, though... although I suppose they might have wanted to do something a bit special for SFMM's 20th coaster, with $1million being put into the budget for each of SFMM's currently operating coasters! ;)

As for what ride type, Six Flags have apparently been eyeballing Time Traveler at SDC, although I'm not sure if a spinning coaster would fit the apparent racing theme. Very interesting... we will have to wait until Six Flags Day to find out! Speaking of which, when is Six Flags Day, out of interest?

Pear

Strata Poster
Oops I must have forgotten about it. I'll move everything over to that thread! If a moderator could delete this thread that would be great.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Threads merged. Please make sure to use the Search function before posting any new threads!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Who keeps coming up with these names? Not just the two permits, but all those other ones listed above as well.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
West Coast Racers s rumored to be for the mat racer water slide for SF Concord. Doubt Maxx Force will be used for SFMM.

I'm gonna be a spoiled millennial for a minute...they need something big. Not gimmicky big, but an actual great coaster. None of that Full Throttle ****. This is their 20th coaster. DC Rivals status big. Helix style big. Not a spinner. Although it would fit the lineup well with a spinner, since they shockingly dont have one. This needs to be a people eater with substance. Something truly jaw dropping.

But it's gonna be a **** spinner with awful capacity and they will run one train with 4 hour waits and name it after something super cringey with an awful tag line. Like Maxx Force, the power of harambe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
Speaking of Full Throttle - when did it permanently go to 1 train? Cause unless its storage bay is below the station (which it very well could be but i saw no elevator type structure for it on the transfer area), the ride is permanently at 1 train ops now.

Unrelated to SFMM, but somewhat related because it was seen the day before, but when has Xcelerator been down to 1 train?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Speaking of Full Throttle - when did it permanently go to 1 train? Cause unless its storage bay is below the station (which it very well could be but i saw no elevator type structure for it on the transfer area), the ride is permanently at 1 train ops now.

Unrelated to SFMM, but somewhat related because it was seen the day before, but when has Xcelerator been down to 1 train?

I saw something last week saying Full Throttle was back to 2 trains. Didnt it initially have 3? What a ****ing joke.

Xcelerator for years had one train, but then like a year and a half ago, they added a second that was on consistently.

So to answer both, extended maintenance in the summer because LA area is dumb with maintenance.