What's new

Serious incident at Silver Dollar City

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Can’t access the info in the UK but this link appeared on my last doomscroll on twitter before I went to sleep. Hoping there’s a reasonable explanation and it’s nothing fatal. Would someone with access to the article mind posting some info?

looks like it could be pretty serious with at least half a dozen ambulances on site.

bigmac1789

Roller Poster
The park railway derailed, seems to be minor injuries but potentially >100 people on board (no visible injuries or screaming in the video)
EDIT: Well, I say derailed but it looks like the wheels stayed put and the carriages just fell off the bogies?
Train bogies aren't attached to the train like a car or a rollercoaster train. The weight of the car keeps the bogies on

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 29

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
What the hell? How does that even happen?
Like other train derailments do, either a rail segment got loose and bent one way, debris on the track, or weight shifted to one side during a curve.
We rarely hear about train derailments now because most trains carry fright today at least in the US.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Like other train derailments do, either a rail segment got loose and bent one way, debris on the track, or weight shifted to one side during a curve.
We rarely hear about train derailments now because most trains carry fright today at least in the US.

Passenger train derailments where the carriage falls from the boogie are very rare nowadays. Passenger trains are built and balanced differently on modern trains. For a wagon to derail it usually is a track problem or collision. To me this looks like the centre of gravity of that train is way too high and the boogies way too small. It is also a narrow gauge with pretty wide wagons. A sudden load shift in a curve could cause that derailment.

Derailment nowadays are usually cargo trains with large cargo + badly aligned/maintained track.

140706-boeing-fuselages-jms-1758.jpg

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
What's the betting it was a bunch of goons all leaning out of the window on one side to get that elusive Outlaw Run shot? 🤔
Honestly, I'm starting to suspect something similar to that. Could easily see a scenario where a group of people/kids decided to do a funny moment, leaned to one side of a car at the perfect moment of a curve, and caused it. Maybe from that 2nd car based on the video.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I mean just based off speculation.... on Twitter it seems to be a general consensus that it was people intentionally rocking back and forth. Who knows though