What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
So I'm surprised no one has posted this yet but B&M has filed a trademark for "Surf Coaster".
image0.jpg

So what does everyone think about this, We haven't seen a new large B&M model since 2011.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I posted it in the small news thread yesterday but it might need a new thread. No idea what it is, sounds kind of cheesy lol.

Matt N

CF Legend
I've got an idea; I may be jumping the gun a little, but could this be an early indicator of what SW9 at Alton Towers could be? Alton Towers are well-known for building new B&M concepts; they created the Dive Coaster and Flying Coaster and built the Inverted Coaster when it was relatively new! I also heard somewhere that SW9 will be a water coaster, so could it potentially be this? It would certainly satisfy Merlin's need for a USP, and it would potentially give Alton a water ride!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I'll say it again what I said in the Small News in the Theme Park Industry thread. I believe the "Surf" aspect of this model will be a unique riding position, the complete opposite of what a flying coaster's would be. Whereas on a flyer you hang below the track held in by vests and such, on this new model you would basically be in surfing position - stretched out on a mostly flat surface with the track under you. I believe this would allow for tighter clearances (as the train's height would be drastically reduced from the normal 4-10 feet to something between 2 and 5 feet), along with a very cool sensation for the riders. On the topic of which park might be lucky enough to receive the first installation of the Surf Coaster, @Matt N raised a good point. The USP of this attraction combined with the naturally low-to-the-ground trains could make this the perfect fit for Alton Towers, or any other larger park with major height restrictions.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I'll say it again what I said in the Small News in the Theme Park Industry thread. I believe the "Surf" aspect of this model will be a unique riding position, the complete opposite of what a flying coaster's would be. Whereas on a flyer you hang below the track held in by vests and such, on this new model you would basically be in surfing position - stretched out on a mostly flat surface with the track under you. I believe this would allow for tighter clearances (as the train's height would be drastically reduced from the normal 4-10 feet to something between 2 and 5 feet), along with a very cool sensation for the riders. On the topic of which park might be lucky enough to receive the first installation of the Surf Coaster, @Matt N raised a good point. The USP of this attraction combined with the naturally low-to-the-ground trains could make this the perfect fit for Alton Towers, or any other larger park with major height restrictions.

That would make for some fairly long trains! haha

Ethan

Strata Poster
...on this new model you would basically be in surfing position - stretched out on a mostly flat surface with the track under you.
It might just be me, but the way you describe this sounds like a medieval torture device and it's not selling it for me...
Also, I just can't imagine what you're describing to be a particularly interesting or enjoyable experience. So you can call me out if I'm wrong, but to me this doesn't seem like a feasible concept for any manufacturer, let alone B&M.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster

I don’t think Alton would be the first to install it just because of the similarities to Galactica, but as a concept, I think your interpretation of it is spot-on.

The boarding is the thing that confuses me though. I’m assuming riders would board similar to a Volare, but lower to the track like one of the Vekoma Flying Dutchmans. It’s an interesting concept for sure.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Sounds intriguing! About time B&M do something different, i think with RMC now on the scene innovation is the key to stay alive considering the amount of limits and barriers pushed by RMC.

My guess for this model would be a water coaster as i feel like that is different from anything else in the B&M catalogue and they could even sell more family friendly variants (Mack seem to sell their water coasters fairly well).
If this is the case i would hope for a USP or two to make it different enough from the very popular Mack water coasters.

For where this would be debut, i bet on a merlin park.
Raptor, Air, Oblivion, B&M seem to have a very strong relations with Merlin so whatever the new model is i bet good money on Merlin grabbing it first.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Sounds intriguing! About time B&M do something different, i think with RMC now on the scene innovation is the key to stay alive considering the amount of limits and barriers pushed by RMC.

My guess for this model would be a water coaster as i feel like that is different from anything else in the B&M catalogue and they could even sell more family friendly variants (Mack seem to sell their water coasters fairly well).
If this is the case i would hope for a USP or two to make it different enough from the very popular Mack water coasters.

For where this would be debut, i bet on a merlin park.
Raptor, Air, Oblivion, B&M seem to have a very strong relations with Merlin so whatever the new model is i bet good money on Merlin grabbing it first.
I could also see this going to a Merlin park first. Any of the big 4, tbh.