What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Lofty

CF Legend
As useful as the grammar used to convey the idea i suppose. "SeaWorlds Opening Dates"
Taken out of context here, but ok. It was a direct conversation to the above posts, referencing the opening times.

Anyway, I'm excited for the official announcement, hope it has some good redness, or POV with the full layout (although there are some quite good estimations online).

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
It looks like a vast improvement on the original Stand-Up coaster, it should be a much more comfortable ride, especially with B&M being the creator 😍

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Does the word "pipeline" have some meaning I'm not aware of that has something to do with surfing? I associate it more with transportation of oil and gas...?
Pipeline is a name of waves out in Hawaii I believe? Or at least, remember a lot of surfer friends out in California talking about headed out to Hawaii to hit Pipeline. 😅

emoo

Hyper Poster
"Oh" and "What a dull name", is what I'm thinking before and mostly after the explanation.

Bouncy restrains are excellent to me, happy with that. The Milky Way already has a little bop to it and I do enjoy remembering that ride. Is that more or less what was expected after years of guessing and aliasing those patent plans?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Still a little unclear whether this will feel any different from their old standups, despite the moving seats. I think the layout will work for this model though, and I really like the look of paths surrounding it.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I'm not too sure about the moving seats; I understand the concept...but...in that video on the launched airtime hill, it looks like that seat posts getting nicely rammed up in between your legs?
I'm not sure that's a rational fear to be honest. If the seats are sliding up, it's because a force is being exerted on them. That force is going to be exerted on the rider as well, so it should probably be a pretty fluid motion between rider and seat. Plus, I imagine the vest restraints will help keep you pretty well pinned to the seat.

it's B&M so i'm sure it would never happen but my first thought as soon as I saw how that mechanism moves was
'damn i could really imagine peoples knees snapping over this'
Yeah, with how few risks B&M takes, I'm sure the concept has been well vetted. However, I won't be surprised in the least when somebody hobbles in there with a pre-existing injury and tries to sue SeaWorld for their torn ACL/meniscus/whatever.

spicy

Giga Poster
I can imagine they barely move really just with a little flexibility in the knees.

Very underwhelming to be honest, basically just a launched stand up and the restraint moves a small amount vertically.

dontbesuchamcbr

Roller Poster
I don't get what the advantage of standing up should be? To me it would be so much better, if you were sitting down and the seat would be able to move up and down a little.

fartsalad

Roller Poster
I am absolutely here for this. My main disappointments: track length and forcing this sudden Polynesian surf idea when they've been light on the Polynesian theming for years. I'd fawn over an extra 1000 feet at least.

Matt N

CF Legend
It looks really fun, and I look forward to hopefully riding it next June (provided all goes to plan)!

I’ll digress that I’m perhaps a little unsure about the bobbing seats and what effect they’ll have, but I have full faith that B&M have thought about every detail.

The layout itself looks great fun!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm not sure that's a rational fear to be honest. If the seats are sliding up, it's because a force is being exerted on them. That force is going to be exerted on the rider as well, so it should probably be a pretty fluid motion between rider and seat. Plus, I imagine the vest restraints will help keep you pretty well pinned to the seat.
From a mechanical perspective, I would expect the "seat bounce" to look similar to how your vehicle's suspension is designed - springs and dampeners that allow for the tire/suspension to move up and down with the surface of the road, but with enough counterforce applied to return the tire back to "normal" state. Essentially, enough wiggle room to make the rider comfy and account for the (horrid) original stand-up design that often had your nether-regions a little too close for comfort on the seat, but not an excessive amount of up/down movement.

I don't get what the advantage of standing up should be? To me it would be so much better, if you were sitting down and the seat would be able to move up and down a little.
The short answer? If B&M only built standard sit-down attractions, they'd have gone out of business by the late 90s. The onslaught of inverted, flying, stand-up, winged, etc. riding positions points to an industrial complex that never stops it's thirst for constantly introducing contrived, diverted options that only regress us away from the mean, giving coaster riders a dilluted sense of enthusiasm for the sake of filling the bottom line of coaster manufacturers. Who truly wins in this scenario? Amusement parks, eager to rotate their roller coaster lineup? Manufacturers, seeking to meet their quota? Riders, seeking the next big thing? No, I daresay noone wins; we are all but cogs in the machine of capitalism, playing our part with a hope for that which feeds our unquenchable thirst for excitement. But it is a mirage, a mirror reflecting what we want to see, soon to shatter to the realities of profit-driven markets. Everything is but temporary, with no actual ramification on the industry. Parks will rise, coasters with fall, but the industry always remains.

fartsalad

Roller Poster
From a mechanical perspective, I would expect the "seat bounce" to look similar to how your vehicle's suspension is designed - springs and dampeners that allow for the tire/suspension to move up and down with the surface of the road, but with enough counterforce applied to return the tire back to "normal" state. Essentially, enough wiggle room to make the rider comfy and account for the (horrid) original stand-up design that often had your nether-regions a little too close for comfort on the seat, but not an excessive amount of up/down movement.

The short answer? If B&M only built standard sit-down attractions, they'd have gone out of business by the late 90s. The onslaught of inverted, flying, stand-up, winged, etc. riding positions points to an industrial complex that never stops it's thirst for constantly introducing contrived, diverted options that only regress us away from the mean, giving coaster riders a dilluted sense of enthusiasm for the sake of filling the bottom line of coaster manufacturers. Who truly wins in this scenario? Amusement parks, eager to rotate their roller coaster lineup? Manufacturers, seeking to meet their quota? Riders, seeking the next big thing? No, I daresay noone wins; we are all but cogs in the machine of capitalism, playing our part with a hope for that which feeds our unquenchable thirst for excitement. But it is a mirage, a mirror reflecting what we want to see, soon to shatter to the realities of profit-driven markets. Everything is but temporary, with no actual ramification on the industry. Parks will rise, coasters with fall, but the industry always remains.
I am marinated with your thoughts right now. 10/10 would agree with hard again.