What's new

Rumor: Hollywood Studios gets Green Light for Cars Land

marc

CF Legend
Can you imagine the up roar if they did not include them areas though, its what people expect. I remember when DLP opened with no Space Mountain loads complained about it.

Cars Land will do will in Orlando as would the Monster Inc coaster that does not look like will happen now.

bmac

Giga Poster
marc said:
Can you imagine the up roar if they did not include them areas though, its what people expect. I remember when DLP opened with no Space Mountain loads complained about it.

Cars Land will do will in Orlando as would the Monster Inc coaster that does not look like will happen now.

Considering they did early prep work back in '08 before axing it (THANK YOU ECONOMY) it actually holds a lot more water than naked blue people, atm. Cameron is a fickle bastard, too.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU, I think your argument is quite under-researched and ill thought out... What about Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror? Casey Jr, Pinocchio, Peter pan, Star Wars, Mark Twain, Indiana Jones...? They are all film tie-ins, they are all old installations, they are all clones... Everybodies argument about Disney not being original and capitalising on film tie-ins onviously haven't done their research. Disney have been doing it for the best part of 50 years, they are not doing anything different... This is nonsense talk, and I think it's great business sense. Hell, a film idea was written with the construction of Pirates of the caribbean. It was supposed to go live together, but Disney didn't go ahead with the film as it just wasn't right for the time. (obviously it was rewritten for modern times)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yes, but every one that you mentioned is not its own area, it is just the single ride. They have been in talks for years about making a movie based off of Matterhorn. Pirates was a mega hit (clearly), and Star Wars and Indiana Jones are two of the most successful film franchises ever created. Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Casey Jr are all part of Fantasyland, meaning they are all apart of a much larger atmosphere. Tower of Terror, same thing, it's found at the studio parks (I believe most of them are at least) and that fits into the larger movie theme that those parks represent.

Of course Disney has done film tie ins, but when they do, it isn't for areas. The big issue I have with this rumor is that Cars Land was supposed to make California Adventure become what it was originally supposed to be. Simply taking that concept and moving it 3000 miles away to where a lot of their competition already exists is just dumb, and let's be honest, Disney west competes with Disney east for guests. Families with young children who want to go to Disney decide between the two, partially based on where they live, but also based on what is new to that area.

So yeah, they do tie ins, but they don't do them with expansion areas, just singular attractions.

Martyn B

CF Legend
This it what irks me the most though. Movie tie ins. Why? What is the point? Movie tie in were not what Walt wanted for his parks, yes he included some smaller rides featuring some characters, but all of his bigger concepts were completely original ideas, hence the wonder and brilliance people felt towards them. Hong Kong is getting Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point, two new original ideas which to me a scream what Disney is about. They're also getting Toy Story Land, which is absolute kak compared to the aforementioned other two. It just to me highlights the fact that the Disney company and the people involved with which ideas get approved are moong further and further away from Walt's vision and more towards a greedy, profit driven business plan, which is incredibly sad as the more obvious it becomes, the more magic is sucked out of the Disney parks.

Completely agree with this. With the exception of Hong Kong DL, there hasn't been anything original since... Everest (2006)?

Also agree with Marc... with Test Track around the corner, whats the point?

peep

CF Legend
I kinda see the whole why build the Cars Race Rally when Test Track is over the road but you could probably say the same about a lot of attractions. I suppose the two don't differ very much apart from theme? (never actually looked at either layout)

Sorry but why are we moaning about a business going for something they know will do well because the IP is commercially very successful over something un-tested and could result being a flop? During this sort of economic pothole of dung businesses aren't going to try something risky, it doesn't make financial sense and at the end of the day Disney is a business and it needs to make a profit.

I get the whole 'original' ideas thing, I'd love to see a new attraction non-IP related but we just won't be seeing one at the Disney parks for a little while because at the moment they're going to be more concerned about making decisions that are only low-risk.

With Hong Kong however their new attractions may look different and original but it's only Hong Kong's version of Big Thunder and Phantom Manor, staple attractions that all Disney resorts are expected to have. Don't forget they didn't even open the resort with It's a Small World, they're just playing catch up in their own way.

Also in regards to the Avatar expansion at Animal Kingdom, I get that no one likes the idea (apparently even the imagineers weren't happy) but just think what Disney could do with those lush landscapes from the film, it should be pretty cool. I've been reading that they're filling this new area with a lot of very new ideas tech-wise, trying to push the boundaries in some things. I quite like the fire-breathing Avatar bird things they've created (videos of tests were put online - not by Disney), they should look amazing flying over the area.

With Disney you've just got to accept what they're doing and not judge their decision until it's totally finished and open.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Sorry but why are we moaning about a business going for something they know will do well because the IP is commercially very successful over something un-tested and could result being a flop?

Its not moaning really, I think its more to do with frustration.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
peep said:
I kinda see the whole why build the Cars Race Rally when Test Track is over the road but you could probably say the same about a lot of attractions.

Space Mountain: Mission 2 and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at DLP spring to mind...

With Hong Kong however their new attractions may look different and original but it's only Hong Kong's version of Big Thunder and Phantom Manor, staple attractions that all Disney resorts are expected to have. Don't forget they didn't even open the resort with It's a Small World, they're just playing catch up in their own way.

They don't just "look different and original" though; they're completely different rides. They ARE different and original.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Again, I'm not saying it won't be done to the highest of standards, because Disney will make it amazing. But Avatar sucks cock and the land will just serve as a reminder of that.

And I prefer the 'secondary' parks to the Magic Kingdom parks for the most part. I loved DCA and DisneySea looks phenomenal, both are examples of what Disney can do outside of the movie tie-in/Frontierland, Adventureland, Fantasyland, etc frame. They're extraordinary at creating their own breathtaking landscapes without the help of some greedy nonce who wants to shove his beloved blue aliens down our throats and squeeze every last penny out of them (what was the message of the film again? Pot calling.)

STC

Mega Poster
I want to see the Cars ride in more parks just because it looks like a really great ride. Sorry if that's a bit simplistic, but I presumed that's how most people would feel, rather than getting all worked up and idealistic about it...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Martyn B

CF Legend
I know you could probably say this about quite a few attractions, but how can the whole Cars Land thing fit in a 'Studios' park?

Scoutn757

Roller Poster
How could CarsLand fit? The same reason that Lasseter MAGICally is not throwing a fit about it. It is appearing more and more to have been in the cards for some time now and designed to fit if need be.

LMA and Backlot and both about to be gone without looking back. Easily fit. CarsLand + something else.

Mark

Strata Poster
I get you Martyn. You mean in terms of theme right?

And I agree, I'm not sure what angle they are gonna take to make it work tbh

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
I know you could probably say this about quite a few attractions, but how can the whole Cars Land thing fit in a 'Studios' park?

Theme wise it doesn't. an attraction or two could fit into "Pixar Place" which right now is basically Toy Story Midway Mania and a shop. The whole land though, doesn't fit at all...

peep

CF Legend
I reckon they'll do a Paris and go 'we've given up on the working studio theme' and just make it about films in general, meaning attractions just based off films fits in fine.

bmac

Giga Poster
peep said:
I reckon they'll do a Paris and go 'we've given up on the working studio theme' and just make it about films in general, meaning attractions just based off films fits in fine.

Universal Studios Orlando did that almost 10 years ago, and the keeping up with the "backstage studio" theme is starting to wear out badly with the GP. There's already plenty of rides in DHS that don't fit the aforementioned theme anyways and they've been around for quite a long time, just there hasn't been a whole hamlet built to do that.

If we're really going to actually complain about places not belonging with a park's overall theme, Avatar doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom. There's no hamlet in the entire park that blatantly screams "This is 100% related to a movie, and is based off of a 100% fictional universe." Other than the shows the only ride that comes close to being in a fictional universe is Expedition Everest, only because it has multiple encounters with the fictional Yeti. At least the shows are based on actual living animals on the earth, just they don't talk.

Speaking of Avatar/Naked Blue People Land, there's probably going to be a coaster built with it and that's 99.99% going to be Vekoma. Motorbike Coaster or a Flying Dutchman anyone?

peep

CF Legend
^Someone hasn't been reading all the speculation about Shanghai ;) It makes me happy that at least somewhere in the World such a coaster will exist.