What's new

Room 101

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
My Dad is a lorry driver and so I often get to hear the other side of this argument.

Every lorry has a tacometer which logs the journey and speed very precisely. Companies often penalise drivers for breaking too heavily and using up fuel or for having too many/not enough breaks etc. Drivers also have to drive within very tight boundaries of speed and often have to make drops within tight time constraints. Most lorries have a built in speed restriction to 56mph (which is sometimes intentionally de-restricted by rookie drivers).

The problem then, comes on inclines. If a lorry is overlaiden or restricted too low (which apparently happens a lot on purpose, I suppose for economy) then he will be too slow and any lorry coming up behind will get in trouble if they don't overtake and try to keep exactly to their schedule/expected tacograph. Once over the crest of the hill, the overlaiden lorry often speeds up and the lorry in the second lane can't pull back because car drivers have taken up that space.

Basically, any decent lorry driver is just as annoyed with the situation as the rest of us and it just comes down to a few badly operated companies spoiling things for everyone.

Ben

CF Legend
Can't we put the whole of the A14 in?

It is the worst road EVER. We drove down single dirt tracks in Cambodia that were more pleasant than that THING.

To make it worse, it doesn't go ANYWHERE decent but it seems to crop up in loads of journeys. Just to be spiteful.

You just know that when a road starts at the Catthorpe Interchange, it's going to be awful.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
gavin said:
Mysterious Sue said:
My Dad is a lorry driver

How many prostitutes has he murdered?

This. Made. Me. DIE XD so good.

Completely agree, A14 is going into Room 101, no one likes it, and you're right, it goes to Felixstowe and no one wants to go there anyway.

Thank you Sue for letting us see the other side, so rather than just putting side by side lorries in Room 101 I shall change it to Lorries in general, then even the drivers won't get annoyed! ;)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
The Only Way Is Essex needs to go in! Saw a trailer for it today it's vile, just a bunch of plebs acting as if Essex is some sort of magic party planet completely different to the rest of civilisation. Who wants to watch it!?

Also local newspapers *cough cough Cambridge News cough* who have front page stories which just aren't news!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I'd like to put in the shop mnanagement in 3 shops who have decided that I shouldn't be able to buy a pair of gloves at the end of february, when the temperature is hovering around freezing, because it's "The start of the summer season", but, in one of those shops, I can't buy a TOWEL, because it's stilll winter! yes - noone uses towels in winter do they??

nadroJ

CF Legend
People who let their kids run around restaurants. *woops* was that a sizzling hot fajita skillet I just dropped on your kid's head? Sorry about that, maybe if you did some parenting that wouldn't have happened.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Parents seem to think that everyone else "enjoys" their kids and their antics as much as they do. WRONG. Really **** ing wrong.

Message to all parents: Nobody else likes your kids. Nobody. Even close family members only tolerate them to avoid family arguments.

nadroJ

CF Legend
A kid yesterday was sat in a highchair headbanging like a mad thing to the music and then he smacked his face on the table. It was amazing.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Another kid related one - parents who respond to just about anything with "how do I tell my children about this" (particularly the tripadvisor comments about cedar points fasttrack tickets)

Lottie.

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
People who let their kids run around restaurants. *woops* was that a sizzling hot fajita skillet I just dropped on your kid's head? Sorry about that, maybe if you did some parenting that wouldn't have happened.

And supermarkets! I swear at work I'm going to trip over one of them cause their running around whilst I walk to get something for a customer or put something back on the shelf. And it's not just me - I've had customers complain too.

Parents should at least try and keep an eye on them before an accident happens then start complaining about hazards and all sorts. The amount of times people try it on - supermarkets are NOT a :xcensoredx:ing playground!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
People who let their kids run around restaurants. *woops* was that a sizzling hot fajita skillet I just dropped on your kid's head. Sorry about that, maybe if you did some parenting that wouldn't have happened.

I hate it. I know that having to make an effort to keep your kid under control while you pretend to still have an adult life is hard, but you've got kids and it's now your life to spend all your time ensuring that the only person's life they ruin is yours.

gavin said:
^Parents seem to think that everyone else "enjoys" their kids and their antics as much as they do. WRONG. Really **** ing wrong.

Message to all parents: Nobody else likes your kids. Nobody. Even close family members only tolerate them to avoid family arguments.

I don't even like my kids ;)

nadroJ said:
Sometimes I trip them up on purpose <3

Both Madame_Furie and I are also guilty of this :)

The thing is, it seems frowned upon to leave mid meal or whatever with your kid because they're bored and getting all tense and hyper. One of us will just take them away because apparently beating your kid in public is also frowned upon ;)

I generally never let them more than a foot away from me - unless I'm queueing for the rapids at Alton where I'll just leave them completely :lol: But a theme park is a place where kids will be and they'll be hyper so tough.

Oh, noisy and unruly kids in cinemas, talking or kicking seats - gets my goat. My kids know proper cinema etiquette above all else. They may eat with their fingers, but they never make a noise during a film ;)

You can always tell a "decent" parent, because they at least have the good grace to look mortified at their child's behaviour - or at the very least pretty embarrassed. You can't always control them, but you can at least acknowledge they're being little turds.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
On the subject of unruly kids, can we add parents who let their children run across the lanes at a bowling alley?

Didn't even realise people were actually that stupid.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ It doesn't bother me in theme parks, zoos, parks etc. Anywhere that is designed primarily with kids in mind, where they can get excited and blow off a little steam is great.

Restaurants though? Just no. No child under about twelve belongs in a restaurant, not even a TGIs. As well as ruining it for people with the common sense not to have kids, it's also a waste of parents' money. The kid would be happier with a Parental Neglect Meal at McDonalds.

And on planes! Jesus **** ing Christ can't we get them banned from planes? At least perhaps heat the hold slightly and store them in there.

Martyn B

CF Legend
To be fair, I find that most adults can be just as annoying as kids on a plane.

Some twatty old scottish woman was **** ing rocking near enough the whole way to Orlando!