What's new

Rolling launch Vs. Standing launch

I think the better launch is ...

• a standing launch.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a rolling launch.

• both of them. Both equal in terms of thrill and fun.

• I have not done both types :'(

• Total voters

Emmett

Giga Poster
Peter said:
I'd take Anubis launch over any of the Intamin hydraulic launch anyday!

Agreed, that has been the best launch I've done so far. Formule X's rolling one was pretty good too. The only standstill launch I like is on the Vekoma motorbike coasters but the rolling launches are way more fun.

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Rolling launches are more unexpected as they can catch you off guard whereas standing launches you know it's coming and it builds the tension.

Wait... wut... How do you not know they're coming...? You hit the little white boxes, you go fast...? It's not that secret...

I honestly don't understand this "comes out of nowhere" thing everyone seems to be hard over...? You hit the launch track, and go. I'd argue it's LESS unexpected than a normal launch (without a countdown though).

I mean, Ka's is THE least unexpected launch I've ever been on. Sure you have the brake fins as an indicator, but, they're not THAT obvious.

I think Peter's right, it more comes down to the fact Gerstauler can make a decent launch with LSMs over the fact it's rolling. I mean, Fluch is like, 1.4 seconds or something? That's QUICK. But, still, not really related to the fact you're moving when you hit it...

I'm sorry, but, RingRacer's launch is blatantly going to be a LOT better than stuff like Anubis', even if it's not moving.

marc

CF Legend
Desert Race got me big time, were there lights as I did not see them? I did not hear a count down either neither did I feel the train catch the cable.

All I know is I sat down and we were off and I was not ready.

Rolling ones do give more of a kick as I said, but I still like looking up the track waiting for it.

Stealth for me is still the best launch that I have had, followed by Thunder Looper. Then come the 2 from Denmark which were fun and powerfull. Will they ever be able to make them go 200ft though?

I have voted for the both option.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ben said:
Ollie said:
Rolling launches are more unexpected as they can catch you off guard whereas standing launches you know it's coming and it builds the tension.
Wait... wut... How do you not know they're coming...? You hit the little white boxes, you go fast...? It's not that secret...
I said they 'can' catch you off guard. Not all of them. Most of the rolling launches I've done are done straight after a drop. On the likes of Lynet and Fluch you can't see the launch until you've gone down the drop and you're already on it by which time it's caught you off guard if you didn't know it was there. Especially on Fluch where it's in the pitch black so you can't even see the fins.

marc

CF Legend
It caught Pierre out as he did not know there was a launch, he has not been following the construction topic.

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Ben said:
Ollie said:
I said they 'can' catch you off guard. Not all of them. Most of the rolling launches I've done are done straight after a drop. On the likes of Lynet and Fluch you can't see the launch until you've gone down the drop and you're already on it by which time it's caught you off guard if you didn't know it was there. Especially on Fluch where it's in the pitch black so you can't even see the fins.

On Lynet? The launch that goes RIGHT next to a path? You think people will not realise that's there?

And Fluch catches people off-guard because it's dark, not just because it's rolling!

I still don't buy they're anymore unexpected than when they stop. Unless you're dense, or it's enclosed (true for ANY launch in the dark though).

nadroJ

CF Legend
Anubis and Fluch's rolling launches were breathtaking, Lynet not so much.

Stealth, Rita, RnR etc, I find the launches much more forecful and 'WOW!'

So, I guess I like both.

[/pointless]

Maverix

Mega Poster
Like many people have said before, each has it's pro's and con's. I find standing launches to have more force in them, and I find it really thrilling to going from a standstill, to, however fast the ride is. The tension is also very, very exciting.

Rolling launches on the other hand, are a lot more surprising, and fun. They can really add something to a ride if themed well.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I do prefer rolling launches, the fact you're alreayd moving then the sudden increase of acceleration, whereas the standard launches are the same acceleration from start to finish.