What's new

Rolling launch Vs. Standing launch

I think the better launch is ...

• a standing launch.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a rolling launch.

• both of them. Both equal in terms of thrill and fun.

• I have not done both types :'(

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm not sure if "rolling launch" is the correct terminology, but it's where the coaster train travels into launch, then lauches without stopping.

Having now experinced three rolling launching (Flutch, Anubis & Lynet) and several standing launches (Rita, Stealth, TTD, Velocity, Rock 'n Rollercoaster to name a few), I have a hardon for rolling ones. I guess Maverick has a rolling launch as it doesn't stop but it does slow to more-or-less of a standstill; a crawling launch if you will!

They seem to pack more of a punch and thrill me more. With a standing launch, you expect it. A rolling launch will (usually) take the rider by surprise.

There is a time and a place for standing launch such as in a racing themed coaster but I'm convinced that rolling rolling lauches are the way forward.

Do you agree with me? Which do you prefer?

Ali

Mega Poster
I haven't been on a rolling launch but I love the suspense and tension that builds up whilst waiting for the launch!

nealbie

CF Legend
Rolling launches seem to have far more of a bite to them and get to their designated speed really really quickly, which is awesome!

Standing launches, whilst as Patrick says builds up the tension, they seem to take an age to do as they are supposed to, which means somewhat of a let down.

This is not the case in the Audi of Love though, as standing launches are far superior to rolling ones :wink:

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Yeah I agree.

Mavericks launch is my favourite, currently. It does have more of an impact than the likes of Stealth or Rita or even TTD.

I suppose you'd have got the feel of the ride a little before, then to be pushed that little bit more comes as a little unexpected, giving that extra buzz.

Suppose you could count Wicked Twister aswell then? I found lots of little launches, slowley gaining the speed was more fun than a standing launch.

Ollie

CF Legend
Rolling launches are more unexpected as they can catch you off guard whereas standing launches you know it's coming and it builds the tension. Although after Fluch Von Novgorod's launch I can say I love them. Lynet's launch was good as well.

A

Anonymous

Out of what I have been on I think irn-bru Revolution is a better launch than Rita. Thats probably due to what it is. Not sure if I have been on any rolling launches so I cant really say.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
Rolling launches, as they seem to be more powerful and more of a surprise. Also rolling launches seem faster even when being launched at the same speed for some reason.

marc

CF Legend
I am in 2 minds tbh.

A standing launch for example on Stealth is scary due to the build up and the height for example.

A rolling launch you get a kick and its fun.

I do prefer a rolling one, but for something like Stealth Top Thrill etc I dont think it would be as scary if you know what I mean.

So it depends what ride really.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Well I've only done standing launches like Stealth, Rita, Baco, Velocity etc. but I will experience a rolling launch on the Incredible Hulk coaster next year. :)

So for now I don't think I'll vote.

Snoo

The Legend
Standing. Even though I do love Maverick's launch, it doesn't win because of the launch, but more for the experience I had.

TTD's launch is just.. beauty.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I agree with Marc that it depends on the coaster.

I think it depends how "big" a part of the ride the launch is. When it's the main focus, as in Stealth/Rita, a standing launch works much better, as the build up/tension is increased. When it's just a "small" element of of a ride, as in Lynet/Fluch, the rolling launch works better as it flows better and becomes part of the ride, not the whole point of it.

Peter

Hyper Poster
Rolling launch - it seems to give more of a kick in the backside compared to a standstill launch. That could however be something to do with the fact that all the rolling launches use LIM/LSM technology rather than something like a catch car.

I'd take Anubis launch over any of the Intamin hydraulic launch anyday!

Dragster and Ka are by far the two best launches I've had.. So forceful, and the suspense is fantastic when you're sitting there, especially when you watch the train in front of you get launched.

So, standing.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I haven't done both yet :( However, from what people have said to me, rolling launches do give a much more forceful and unexpected launch.

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Like others have said, rolling launches do give a kick and are very fun but they wouldn't work as well with rides like TTD.

Out of the rides I have been on, I prefer the rolling launch :)

Fluch and Lynet > Stealth and Rita

peep

CF Legend
I think rolling launches are much better. The way it just kicks in out of no where, the element of surprise wins over suspense for me.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I agree that it depends on the type of coaster. For example on USF's Revenge of the Mummy, you are in complete darkness and the rolling launch gives a kick which really takes you by surprise, just like Hulk. But on Stealth and Rita, looking down the launch straight builds up tension for the launch, and therefore I feel a standing launch is better for them. So, in my opinion, it depends on the coaster.