What's new

Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 discussion

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 - for Apple Devices Only

Give it a few weeks and it will be on android as well me thinks. I'll probably get it I'd that happens, even though but looks awful. Might have my sister get it for her kids since they love playing 3.

Casio

Mega Poster

Thought I'd finally have to get an apple product. Then I saw the video. Nope.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

It looks just like RCT2! Won't bother with this, wonder what excessive price they're charging/going to charge.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Ha....

Ha ha.....

Hahahahaha....

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

What the hell is that ****?! That is so god awful terrible that it honestly should not have the RCT moniker attatched to it in any manner.

Its so bad it is laughable.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

"You have just built 'Old game redesigned as a cash cow 1' "

"In game credits are too expensive"

"I don't want to go on 'Facebook to post to get me the materials I need to build a rollercoaster 1'"

"The queue for 'next free move' is too long"

"'Free to play model' has broken down"

Oh, I could go on... :lol:

VF15

Roller Poster

Very disappointing. If RCT4 comes out on PC, it had better be better than this. Until then, I'll stick with RCT3 and NoLimits.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I love this... Going back over things written about RCT4.

August 2011:
furie said:
There won't be an official release. Tired of repeating myself for complete and utter brainless morons to ignore.

I'm not going to lock this topic, but instead leave it open and ban the next person who mentions rct4 being released without a 100% proof of it happening.
sent from my bum via a fancy phone.

I wrote this in December 2011:
furie said:
Anyway, there's very little to zero chance of an RCT4 (no matter what the potential commercial success). The world has indeed moved on and I just don't think the series is commercially relevant in it's current form (or in it's new form either). The PC gaming market is a shrinking one, with most "casual" gamers who would have bought into the franchise now on consoles.

Sadly, I seemed to have foresight on that one - replace consoles with free-2-play mobile devices mind...

Obviously this is CALLED RCT4, but it's not RCT, let's face it - so little to zero chance was right...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28894&start=42

October 2012 about Frontier's "Coaster Crazy" Game everyone was so excited about at the time:
furie said:
It's just going to be another simple "place 'thing', wait until you have enough generated cash/energy, place other 'thing' - you can always buy more 'things' with real cash to speed up the process" game.

Why does anyone think it'll be anything different? They're the games that dominate the mobile market (or very simple pick up, flick the screen on a game that will not last for more than five minutes games) so why would they produce a proper RCT game on a platform that would be dreadful for designing things on.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34935

October 2012:
furie said:
It'll be utter turd, 100% guaranteed.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35094

October 2012 again - with reference to RCT for the 3DS:
furie said:
jjjjustin said:
If the game is done than, why would Atari keep pushing it back?

Because it's a huge steaming pile of dog turd?

First review is in. It's worse than the original RCT apparently; lacking pretty much everything that made the original game workable.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/16/rolle ... tle_screen

Everyone looking forward to the other new RCT games then? I'll bet you are now :p

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32366&start=14

Joy :lol:

Ploddish

Hyper Poster

I can only apologise for my industry. Still, I'll give it a whirl to see how much I can handle.

EDIT: I have no idea what I was even trying to say here before.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

According to the official RCT facebook page there is a PC version in the works too, thank god! Apparently the mobile version will come out first with the PC RCT coming out at the end of this year. Here's hoping it's not just a port, what with No Limits 2 they really need to up their game for this one.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Ploddish said:
I can only apologise for my industry.

You can't apologise enough :p

silenthillXD said:
According to the official RCT facebook page there is a PC version in the works too, thank god! Apparently the mobile version will come out first with the PC RCT coming out at the end of this year. Here's hoping it's not just a port, what with No Limits 2 they really need to up their game for this one.

As I've been on the money so much with this so far ,I'm going to bravely go out on a limb and say that the PC version WILL just be a port of this one.

Or if we're really lucky, a Facebook version!!! ;)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Theme Park Media have tweeted that RCT 4 is in development but it isn't just for mobile devices. I'll tag the tweet in here later.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^Here's a facebook post about it

RollerCoaster Tycoon is back and it's coming to mobile (first)! Rest assured, there is a PC experience in production now for release in Fall 2014. This is just the first step in bringing the series back to its fans this year! We are excited and hope you are too!

scw55

Hyper Poster

This is what happens when a video game company doesn't think there's a big enough audience for Theme Park management. They compromise and attract a different demographic. This could work or fail horrifically. It has a greater chance to fail. Especially since THRILLVILLE was the last "RCT" game made by Atari.

Oh and a "PC Experience" will be released in Autumn 2014.

At least the RCT3 community is still active (perhaps not on these forums, but elsewhere) and Theme Park Studio is coming along nicely.

And RCT2 still exists (I think someone has made a Wingrider for RCt2)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
More details in an interview here:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news ... -game.html

Key points:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on mobile adopts free-to-play mechanics, where the wait for new rides and attractions to be built can be expedited by spending in-game currency.

We can't share that much, but [PC] will definitely be a completely different game

While specific differences between the mobile and PC versions - such as whether it adopts the same structure and use of in-game currency - have yet to be confirmed, it will be an "online multiplayer experience" that won't run through Facebook.

Make of all of that what you will. The fact the PC game is coming so hot on the heels of the mobile game suggests to me that it's not going to be a great game. To be honest, I suspect that it will be RCT2 remade with 3D graphics - like almost literally. The mobile version is then a touch screen friendly casual version.

We'll have to wait and see... Hopes are not high.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on mobile adopts free-to-play mechanics, where the wait for new rides and attractions to be built can be expedited by spending in-game currency.

rofl ffs i was only joking about that, deary me :(

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So with the release of the game on IOS it appears that Atari have somehow made the gaming equivalent of Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull but worse.

On top of that the CEO of Atari just game out in defense of the game and sounds like a complete arse

The monetization tactic is also common to many mobile simulation games that are like RollerCoaster Tycoon. But Atari’s use of the RCT name, albeit without the involvement of the games’ original creator, Chris Sawyer, means many gamers came in with specific expectations, and having to pay repeatedly was not among them.

Chesnais said those expectations should have been different.

“Yeah, you have to wait a little bit, but so what?” he said. “The world was not built overnight. They’re reviewing a mobile game, and a mobile game can’t be a PC game. … People are mad we did not release the PC game first.”

By that, he’s referring to a new computer entry in the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise for PC, slated for release later this year, which Atari has already promised will be a “completely different game.” Chesnais said it would have “multiplayer and social features” but couldn’t say for sure if the PC version would use the same micro-transaction model as the mobile game.

“We have not made a decision on the PC game,” he said. “It’s entertainment, but it’s also business.”
http://recode.net/2014/04/18/atari-to-r ... -not-deaf/

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I need more desktop access to address this properly and I agree the game us a travesty but...

It's just mobile gaming. It's no different to hundreds of other popular pay to build games it there. It runs on a model which is only broken for people who don't engage in the model. Apparently the period of user investment vanishes after three days, do the publisher only need to produce a game that can be exhausted in that time as afterwards the model SP's working anyway. They're cash cow, plain and simple.

The issue is that it's using something some people care about, but people also care about lots of things the gaming industry is ruining with this model. It's an issue with the mobile industry and not Atari as such - they're just treating the public like the mugs they are.

In the bigger picture, don't blame Atari for making a quick buck, but the idiots who spend money on these games.

This week make money because despite the warnings, I'll bet loads of enthusiasts will still buy this. The PC game will be identical but higher res and will be so because so many people will by into the mobile version giving it justification.

People are stupid and there will always be business there to take their money :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk