What's new

Rita's Launch Cable Snaps

Nic

Strata Poster
Apparently they had a spare at the coaster within a couple of hours. Must've been on site already. There's a photo of it being winched off the back of a truck into the Rita area...

pinklottie91 said:
I did see on Facebook from an Alton Towers fansite that another cable has already been delivered to the park.
Link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

From TowersStreet's Facebook page (link above) -
527202_363771303693320_370744152_n.jpg

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
Last Hydraulic one opened in 2009...

2010 actually, Formula Rossa.

Martyn B said:
Side note: Perhaps its these incidents that have led to the increase in LIM accelerator coasters from Intamin? (iSpeed, Cheeta Hunt, Slag and Turkey next year etc)

they are LSM, and not LIM.

And it's the ability to now produce magnetic launches that can be used without breaking the bank.
They used to demand a huge amount of power to launch the cars, now they can launch the train with pretty much the same power consumption as your average amusement ride.

Plus there is a lot less maintenance work on the magnetic ones as well.
So there will not be any more Intamin hydralic launches unless you want a record breaker.

Edit: Also really glad no one was hurt, and I really hope it's just a coincidence that it snapped, and not because Alton was not inspecting it properly.

Twn114

Roller Poster
I sure do hope they have it running by next Wednesday! I love this ride!

I am really surprised how quickly they have managed to get a replacement! unless they already had a spare in storage?

bmac

Giga Poster
Intamin tells every park with a hydraulic launch coaster to keep one or two spare cables in storage just in case it needs replacing mid-season.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Second "snapping" that Alton Towers have had due to hot weather since I've had an interest in theme parks. (The other being the mine train several years ago).

Thankfully nobody was hurt and they appear to be repairing it quickly.

There's a free CoasterForce window sticker for the first person who posts a link/scan of a Daily Mail article overplaying this unfortunate incident.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Second "snapping" that Alton Towers have had due to hot weather since I've had an interest in theme parks. (The other being the mine train several years ago).

Thankfully nobody was hurt and they appear to be repairing it quickly.

There's a free CoasterForce window sticker for the first person who posts a link/scan of a Daily Mail article overplaying this unfortunate incident.

Are Alton's cables different to those used in hotter countries? I'd assume that Intamin supplies a model that works for all Accelerators, regardless of the weather...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Nice to Alton working fastly on this, but if they had been doing their mantance checks properly this event wouldn't have happend, the park is just lucky that nobody was hurt.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
owenrita121 said:
but if they had been doing their mantance checks properly this event wouldn't have happend.

Would you mind giving us the run down on the maintenance checks that Alton carries out please and expand on how they weren't doing them properly?

I have no idea about this stuff, so I'm happy for you to give us the exact details please.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
owenrita121 said:
but if they had been doing their mantance checks properly this event wouldn't have happend.

Would you mind giving us the run down on the maintenance checks that Alton carries out please and expand on how they weren't doing them properly?

I have no idea about this stuff, so I'm happy for you to give us the exact details please.
Exactly.

Obviously, something went wrong, but unless you know the full procedure for the checks it seems a little rushed to say they didn't do them properly.

Maybe I'm just cynical and really REALLY don't care about things like this, but stuff breaks. It shouldn't have, yes, but it did. Be thankful no-one was hurt and forget about it. ;)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Rita had broken down on sunday, with workers walking up and down the catwalks checking the cable, so surely if the park had checked it properly and noticed that their was a problem with this wouldn't have happend. It also broke down on thursday with workers checking the cable. So it's not like it just happend with them not checking it for a while, it's the fact that it had been having problems and they waited right untill the last minute to fix it.

Doesn't really make a park look good when things like this are happening, does it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So, you followed them, knew the reason for the breakdown and know all about coaster maintenance?

I'd assume that there is a standard check each day for "fraying" of the cable and any visible/noticeable wear and tear. Then I also assume that there is a scheduled "close check" every so often within the life span of the cable (it will have an estimated number of launches it can survive).

If there is a fault inside the cable that can't be seen and it's developed outside the in depth checks, then there's not a lot that can be done about it. As Hixee says, these things happen.

Although I really don't know, that's just what I assume, there may be more information about the lax maintenance, but I'd hope nobody was spreading rumours like that unfounded...

oriolat2 said:
Are Alton's cables different to those used in hotter countries? I'd assume that Intamin supplies a model that works for all Accelerators, regardless of the weather...

I seem to remember the RMT incident was caused by similar weather. They think the drastic changes in temperature over a short space caused the metal to weaken and crack inside.

That's what I seem to remember, but I can't find any sources for it now :lol:

marc

CF Legend
It does make me laugh when people straight away blame maintance.

I preform computer checks every day, it does not stop a disk failing 1 hour later. Same with car lights I can check them in the morning then on the way to work it blows.

It just happens people can only check so much. **** happens.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
But the ride had broken down twice last week, due to problems with the cable, so they must have knew that their was a problem with it. On Sunday the whole queue line had to be evacuated and the ride closed for around an hour.

ParkLogic_Chris

Roller Poster
I'd also like to back up the dicussion about the ride closing during the day, it wasn't a standard close/open check but the entire queue line evac'd and workers around the cable areas.

I'm not blaming maintenance but IMHO if there was any doubt, or any weird going on (hence the need to evac the queue line) then the cable should have been changed there and then as a pre-caution.

It's good to see the ride being repaired already but I can't see it opening for a while yet, depending on how much damage there is inside the ride launch area from flailing cables or the launch drum spinning out of control.

Best of luck to the team, I can't imagine it's an easy job at all.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
owenrita121 said:
But the ride had broken down twice last week, due to problems with the cable, so they must have knew that their was a problem with it. On Sunday the whole queue line had to be evacuated and the ride closed for around an hour.

So what exactly was the cable problem? Was it broken? Frayed? Splintered? Stretched? Were there tension issues? Was it catching on the trough?

Until you know exactly what the issue is, you can't say "bad maintenance". It could be, but you have to be careful about saying "that's what it was". Don't be absolute until you actually know 100% for sure. People have been sued for much less.

If there wasn't an injury, then we'll never know unless you get a direct quote off maintenance, but I can absolutely, 100% guarantee you that the ride would not have been reopened with a cable that was considered potentially dangerous or damaged. They had a spare cable at Rita in about three hours, if there had been any evidence it needed replacing, then it would have been replaced.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
owenrita121 said:

So what exactly was the cable problem? Was it broken? Frayed? Splintered? Stretched? Were there tension issues? Was it catching on the trough?

Until you know exactly what the issue is, you can't say "bad maintenance". It could be, but you have to be careful about saying "that's what it was". Don't be absolute until you actually know 100% for sure. People have been sued for much less.

If there wasn't an injury, then we'll never know unless you get a direct quote off maintenance, but I can absolutely, 100% guarantee you that the ride would not have been reopened with a cable that was considered potentially dangerous or damaged. They had a spare cable at Rita in about three hours, if there had been any evidence it needed replacing, then it would have been replaced.
Bingo! Needed to quote this to be sure it was seen too. :D

marc

CF Legend
Stealth on swarm opening day also had a full evac and workers looking at the cable. It was down for about an hour then reopened. From what's been said before its very common as these rides keep going wrong.