What's new

Rides You Can No Longer Handle?

Definitely anything that spins, even mildly. Or anything that has a significant amount of positive G's. I'll put myself through it if someone else wants to ride, but if I'm alone you won't see me riding intense inverts or flyers unless I need the credit (although I was so desparate to ride coasters that I rode the SLC at Wonderland for no reason this year other than I'm apparently a masochist). I'd gladly not ride another flying coaster again in my life if I'm being totally honest; Flying Dinosaur scared me off them.

Will

Strata Poster
I don't know if it's rustiness on my part, the fact that I'm now nearly twice the age the ride is, a poor night's sleep or the sun shining on my balding head for the first time in forever, but I rode Spinball earlier today and it's totally written me off.

I'm not prone to feeling yuck after a ride, but I ended up calling it a day at lunchtime! I hadn't ridden Spinball in AGES (social distancing milarky meant 'parties of one' were banned) and it will be a while before I do again without some sort of sickness meds on standby.

Nemisis

Roller Poster
Funny I came across this thread by complete coincidence after first day I have struggled at a park.

Beautiful sunny day at towers, coasters walk on or close enough if you know how to play the crowds.

I don't know if it's just age catching up with me (38) or it's related to POTS I have been struggling with (greying out when standing up) but man, we did a lot of rides and everyone was just an endurance effort not to throw up.

The only thing I can compare it to was the sensation of playing VR where there is movement.

Quite concerned this could write off coaster enjoyment tbh! Hopefully a bit of a one off. I've never so much as gone grey before.

I agree about water though. Dehydration is so easy at big parks. We walked 12 miles yesterday in the sun. Blood volume is hugely affected by hydration so I wonder if a low blood volume means it's easier for it to be pushed to the extremities leaving too little (and too little oxygen) behind where it is needed.

pvnks

Mega Poster
Had the spinal displeasure of compressing myself at the very bottom of SAW: The Ride's first drop at Thorpe Park yesterday.

Immediate ibuprofen.

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
Boy dis question just makes me facepalm because I was back then a total rapids and log flume junkie but now I get all frustrated when I get water on me XD I wish I went back to the olden days doe cuz water is so refreshing omg and on hot days I feel like I NEED it. still I get my water hate up my brain and I can't enjoy anymore

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Spinny stuff, more than one in a row is a total no-go. Nearly vommed last year after doing 4 spin and spews in a row. Clearly old now.

Will

Strata Poster
I managed two spinny rides AND Smiler yesterday with minimal ill effects (though walking through the Smiler's exit after the ride is still no joke!!) and we agreed I can still do them, so long as the weather is cold.