What's new

RCT4 being considered

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, they're making "Disney Wonderland for Kinect" or something like that. As soon as Frontier announced with the words "Disney" and "Kinect" I lost all interest.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
What I would like is a mash-up of RCT2, RCT3 and No limits. So it would be the Layout and graphics of RCT2 (Graphics could also be RCT3), The rides and Coastercam of RCT3 without peeps getting in the way of the camera, zoos, waterpark and hotels.

I would also like the unlimitedness of No Limits so you build the coaster the RCT way and then be able to modify it how you like to sort out unwanted G's or to make look better. Also, Brakes on a hill like Stealth or Kingda Ka would be good and if you could build the ride like explained above and then consruction teams turn up and build the ride like in real life.

That would be my perfect coaster game.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^That's not an official trailer. In fact, none of that footage is even from RCT or NL. It's the ride models/renders that the parks do.

:roll:

addy2503

Mega Poster
I think that a feature where you can become the ride operator and start ride cycles, check restraints...etc would be good :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
furie said:
They're making "Disney Wonderland for Kinect" or something like that. As soon as Frontier announced with the words "Disney" and "Kinect" I lost all interest.

You know, just in case anyone missed it and thinks that RCT4 is still on the cards... ;)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Oh dear, lets hope they'll be an official release sometime soon...

Also, Rct3 platinum is the best selling atari game at the moment (on Atari.com) and how long ago was that released?

Bit of an expensive hobby eh?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There won't be an official release. Tired of repeating myself for complete and utter brainless morons to ignore.

I'm not going to lock this topic, but instead leave it open and ban the next person who mentions rct4 being released without a 100% proof of it happening.
sent from my bum via a fancy phone.

kimahri

CF Legend
You think Rct will have a Fallout\Duke Nukem type thi g with a long hiatus between now and the next possible game?

Do we actually need rct4 anyway? Some dude made a near full recreation of thirteen with it's own custom track including the drop and transfer track. We have a recreation of Ben 10's layout and the junior boomerang trains as well. Granted they're a bit bumpy but there's been like... 4 attempts at this so they're bound to fix that. To the point, I think the community is keeping the current games alive and can do so for quite a while now.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There was a definite legal issue between Chris Sawyer and Atari, but I have no idea how that was left and where the RCT name was left.

There IS RCT coming to the 3DS though and "Thrillville" was released to try and build on the popularity.

The games (all three) have actually been massive commercial successes though. While it may only be enthusiasts who "keep the torch burning", the overall sales are very very good. Unfortunately, Atari underestimated their user base and produced Thrillville, which is a dumbed down mini-gameesque load of casual bollocks.

While RCT is a long way from realistic, it's still captivating and does a fine job of making you believe (and some people really do ;) ) that you can build and run your own theme parks. Chris Sawyer knows exactly how to make these strategy games, hence why he was so upset with what Atari did with the franchise with RCT3.

Anyway, there's very little to zero chance of an RCT4 (no matter what the potential commercial success). The world has indeed moved on and I just don't think the series is commercially relevant in it's current form (or in it's new form either). The PC gaming market is a shrinking one, with most "casual" gamers who would have bought into the franchise now on consoles.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Yes to all of the above. And as much as an RCT4 wasn't likely at the time, I still believe Thrillville was a really bad decision which may very easily have been the nail that closed the RCT coffin for good. I'd like to take this moment to call out to another one of my fallen heroes, Age of Empires. Stupid AoE Online. Terrible, terrible idea, and Ensemble Studios had so much potential with AoE 4 and 5 :-( R.I.P. RCT and AoE franchises.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'll agree there about AoE. It was brilliant and 2 still is but the new one is rubbish.

Same with RCT for some people though. I don't think RCT is dead though, not quite anyway. With the new one for the 3ds, popularity will be boosted and people will want a new one. Everyone knows it's business sense to give people what they want. ;)

reddude333

Giga Poster
Yes, it is good business sense...but then how did we end up with Thrillville. I don't really think anyone was looking for that.

RCT isn't dead completely, but it might as well be in terms of putting out a completely new game, not just sticking it on a mobile device and making it 3D (which I will admit it is pretty cool that they are doing). Honestly, I was very surprised to see this development so long after RCT3, so I'm not completely writing them off. I just feel that if they were planning on making an RCT4 (which is presumably what this topic is about) they would have spent all these years developing that, not a 3D version.

As for AoE, I actually really liked the third installment, its their attempt at an MMO that pissed me off, not to mention the visual graphics for the game went into the toilet with AoE Online.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I suspect with RCT3 being released on the 3DS that Atari have retained the rights to use the RCT name, or at least the rights to continue producing RCT3.

Thrillville was a 100% misjudged release based entirely on the fact that most big industries (certainly film* and games) are run by marketing more than they are by the people who know.

Somebody in marketing will have seen that RCT was massively popular. Hence games about theme parks are popular (and they've always sold well). Also, people want casual mini-games, they're selling by the bucket load on the Wii. So therefore if you mix the two, then you'll sell double the amount of games!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the same marketing department haven't suggested that FPS like Modern Warfare are popular, and so are games where you get to care for horses (they sell by the bucket load on the DS). So what we should be producing is a horse based FPS where you get to pick what ribbons your horse will wear into battle and get the groom it afterwards for kill bonuses.

*The film industry is rife with this stuff. Look at super hero movies at the moment, or the reaction to Pixar's popularity. American Pie also started a new craze. As soon as the films start bombing at the cinema, then it's officially classed as dead and the industry moves on. There's no question of quality, it's purely down to takings. Yeah, it's business but thankfully you have a few stand out individuals who buck the trends. It's why a lot of films feel so samey and underwhelming - it really is just "make this movie because they're popular right now".

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Did anyone ever think of the possibility that, kinda like SFMM is said to be doing, releasing a smaller-scale product (i.e. Green Lantern) first and then the big thing (rumored future coaster) a little while down the road?