What's new

RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - results ! (21 Oct)

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: portemine's Basic Coaster Contest !

It's not an issue.

And also I will post my entry by 23:59 gmt 29/09/12

gopats1479

Mega Poster

@BBH, I like it. It's smooth and the setting works well. The support work is great for a first-timer. I know that I wasn't that good when I started.

SoMuchWin

Mega Poster

Blaze. Tis' my submission.

2em4N.jpg

QJ9cV.jpg

Yyklt.jpg

EsLTe.png

0awL2

ZgOUZ.jpg

1x1Qh.jpg

F6OJ2.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2cEp_mH48&feature=youtu.be

I made a 2nd gen B&M hyper coaster. At a height of 218 feet, with a top speed of 75 mph, this mammoth of a roller coaster is sure to please any coaster enthusiast`s needs. Blaze is 5,482 feet long and has a max g-force of 5.3, and a maximum negative g-force of 1.4. This giant has six airtime hills and makes sure that you stay out of your seat for an entire 1 minute and 3 seconds. So, you like?

scw55

Hyper Poster

Dijinni- B&M Flyer thing where rider's arms are strapped down because human beings are idiots and will amputate themselves. I wasn't able to remove the UI because the park I used (you might recognise it) didn't have an entrance that spawned peeps to name.

Screenshots
Hcvuz.jpg

Station Building

sL0zj.jpg

Overview. Could the two trains be heading for a collision?

RYovf.jpg

First Drop

rMPnr.jpg

A swoop past a wall. I do love those

kLxV5.jpg

Mid section of the unique sequence. It's a shame the station hides the rest of it. You might be able to work it out on the PoV

THdIU.jpg

Mid-layout block section. Inspired by a Euro-fighter which was themed around a Mine. There was a block section and then up ahead was a heartline roll into a half loop. I liked the idea of pausing the ride mid-way, then in plain sight ahead is a rather intimidating element to go through especially at low velocity.

The ride runs parallel to itself quite a lot which meant support work was funky.

POV Video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4iaiDHDx-4[/youtube]

reddude333

Giga Poster

I know I am technically past the deadline but I have been working on this so I figured I would post it. I hope you will allow me to be a contestant in the running for the contest.

This rave green and blue coaster is called ECS and is inspired by none other than the Seattle Sounders and their loyal fans. ECS is a B&M dive machine utilizing an element currently unused by dive machines, the zero-g roll. It also has the iconic splash down and features a station with a special viewing window of the "splash zone". I understand the splash down may be considered theming but I felt it would be incomplete without it. If you wish to disregard it for judging portemine, feel free. The layout is compact and features a couple near misses. The unique twisting first drop adds a new dimension to the dive machine while staying true to many of the features we have all come to know and love. I hope you all enjoy your ride on ECS.

A train ascends into the sky
ECS1.png

Most of the layout is visible from this shot
ECS2.png

Station: features queue (with extended front row line), opening gates for loading, a control room, and a beautiful arched glass structure
ECS3.png

The station is especially designed so that people in the queue can get a glimpse at the "splash zone" before boarding...also the control room is visible in the back
ECS4.png

ECS POV
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbr-HFnVogs[/youtube]

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Alright. I've also been veryyyy busy lately so I've been unable to check this before.

reddude, though you've submitted your entry late, it'll still take part in the contest, with a 5% malus.

Time to judge the entries !
Send me an MP with your votes and commentaries. You have to rank your own creation if you took part in the comp.
Please use a 0-10 scale to assess every coaster, I'll work out the average. A small explanation to say why you've rated this coaster that way - based on the criteria mentioned page 1 - is also highly recomended.

Deadline for submitting votes : Saturday, 21st October

Reminder of entries :

SoMuchWin - Blaze (video link)
scw55 - Dijinni (video link)
reddude333 - ECS (video link) - 5% penalty as it was submitted late
BBH - Maximum Overdrive (video link)
Colossus - Stinger (video link)

Good luck everyone :) May the best win.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Re: portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - vote now ! (Oct 7th)

Hey everyone ! So far, I've only received one response. Don't forget to send me an MP with your assessment of the 5 rides above ;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

I will get a response to you. Just, things are happening so I haven't been able to do it yet. I like setting aside a good length of time so I have all the time I need to think. It looks tough deciding so I'm going to do it in detail, thus the need for a lengthy spare time period :>

BBH

Giga Poster

Got my response in, hopefully in the right format. :lol:

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Got all but one, but just realized that I made a scoring error on reddude's. @portemine, the final score is correct. and take off a 5 point penalty because he was late.

if any of the entrants want to see my responses, let me know. i'd be more than happy to share them with you.

BBH

Giga Poster

gopats1479 said:
Got all but one, but just realized that I made a scoring error on reddude's. @portemine, the final score is correct. and take off a 5 point penalty because he was late.

if any of the entrants want to see my responses, let me know. i'd be more than happy to share them with you.
I don't think I did mine right, so can I see 'em? :lol:

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

I've received many more responses now :)
Remember, even those who did not take part in the contest can vote !

Smithy

Strata Poster

Link for the first one links to an Offspring video.

reddude333

Giga Poster

I'm not getting penalized from everyone and from you am I? Isn't it just a 5% off the total score? I would hate to be penalized twice for a single offense (no double jeopardy here in the US :p)

gopats1479

Mega Poster

That's not what I meant, reddude. BTW, even if that did happen, if everyone agreed with me in their ratings, you would probably win anyway.

BBH

Giga Poster

Exactly, I think you illustrated perfectly what dive coasters SHOULD be doing: zero-g rolls and barrel rolls, not just Immelmanns, even if they are my favorite inversion.

scw55

Hyper Poster

reddude333 said:
I'm not getting penalized from everyone and from you am I? Isn't it just a 5% off the total score? I would hate to be penalized twice for a single offense (no double jeopardy here in the US :p)

Assuming everyone who contributed to the scoring penalised you, and then Port penalised you on top of that, the most your total penalisation would be:

7%.

40% of 5 = 2
2+5 = 7

So 7% at most

More penalised under one and a half times :<

reddude333

Giga Poster

This is true. Actually glad you did the math. I'm not concerned about it really, no worries guys :)

BBH

Giga Poster

I didn't deduct at all... crap.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Re: RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - vote now! (Oct

Fine. I finished my own rankings, worked out the total scores, and we have a winner :D

As with previous contest I will reveal positions one by one in order. Results will slowly show tonight !

Note : margin between first and second is again, pretty narrow at 1.6...