What's new

RCT3 Competition 1: B&M

nealbie

CF Legend
After an unexpected amount of interest I present to you the first of my series of RCT3 Competitions here on CF:-

B&M: Inverted/Flying

For this competition you have to build a B&M coaster of either the Inverted or Flying type, (On the game "Inverted Coaster" and "Flying Coaster") with the following limitations:-

• - 60x60 map
    - Maximum height above the standard ground level of 100ft (the first height marker above that is acceptable).
    - NO Custom Scenery!
    - Trains must consist of 7 rows for a flying type, 7/8 rows is allowed for inverted coasters
    - No MCBRs
    - Vanilla, Soaked and Wild theming is all permitted

Points will be awarded as follows:-

• - maximum of 5 points for layout
    - maximum of 5 points for realism
    - maximum of 5 points for theming
    - maximum of 5 points for a story linked to theming, etc.
    - maximum of 5 points for landscaping
    - maximum of 5 points for originality

There is another maximum of 10 points you can dish out in descending order of the rides that you would most want to ride in REAL LIFE! (ie- 10 points for most sought after, going down to 1 if we have enough entrants.)

If there are more than 10 entrants then only the rides perceived by the other competitors to be the top 10 will receive bonus points, but all are still eligble.

Total scores will be totalled and divided by the number of submissions in order to gain an average.

PLEASE NOTE:- All entrants will mark the other competitors' work. Making it fairer and a more level playing field for everyone. (Well either that or it will become more political than Eurovision! We shall see :lol: )

DEADLINE IS THURSDAY 26TH NOVEMEBR. By then please PM me with the ride's name and story along with 5 screenshots of your finished ride, as well as 1 overview of the ride in the day and 1 at night. All of the handed in screenshots and portfolios of your creations will be posted here on Friday 27th, when other contestants can view, comment and PM me with their marks. When all of the following has been received, I will publish the results.

Who's game? :p

nealbie

CF Legend
List of Entrants:-
  • - ciallkennett
    - divvie_dave
    - Falloutboy
    - Gladiator
    - jokerman
    - Jools
    - kimahri
    - Martyn H
    - Neal
    - Nemesis Inferno
    - NickkyG
    - silenthillXD

12 entrants UBER WOOP! :p

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I'll give it a shot too!

I assume no CS as it's just extra hassle, and gives unfair advantages to those with good sets. By 60x60, must we create a scenario, or can we just go into sandbox and just stay within the limits even though the park is larger?

Snoo

The Legend
I'm not gonna compete.. but I suggest letting people use the Support set.. just to give it a sexy exterior.. IMO of course.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I'm in! I will not start it right away, but rest assured, I will try and get my entry in before the deadline :D

jokerman

Giga Poster
I'm certainly up for this. I think the support thing is a good point. Will points be awarded for Custom Supports? I don't ever use them, so I will need to practice if they are allowed!!!

nealbie

CF Legend
I did consider allowing the Steelworx set for Custom Supports for aesthetic reasons Snoo. But then you end up with this:-

jokerman said:
I don't ever use them, so I will need to practice if they are allowed!!!

Which makes it unfair. And this comp is about people's ability with RCT3, not their abiliity to paint a pretty mask over their creations with CS. A decision that is seemingly quite popular. (Albeit Benin does object strongly :lol: )

I am happy so far with the turnout, more more more :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Damn right I object to it :p

Obviously the in game scenery can be used immensely well, but I look on the Atrai forums a lot for inspiration (My Boardwalk park being inspired by Shyguy's Laguna Beach park) and if you compare the way in which CS looks to normal scenery in many cases it is indeed better by a long shot...

My favourite bit of work I've ever done was my Chinese area in my last project, and that was all CS, even the coaster was custom :lol:

In most cases, CS is not the pretty mask you say it is, look on the Atari forums and see what makes CS so great ;)

jokerman

Giga Poster
But when you have the ability to create any scenery you want, it stops being a game, and simply becomes a theme park designer. You may as well just draw pictures.

nealbie

CF Legend
You've just answered my own point rather unwittingly it would seem Benin. :lol:

That's all CS is, to make it more aesthetically pleasing. I see it as more of a challenge to make a decent park without it. Yes, you can't get to the level you do using CS, but it makes it remain a game. Which it should be. ;)

Snoo

The Legend
Neal said:
I did consider allowing the Steelworx set for Custom Supports for aesthetic reasons Snoo. But then you end up with this:-

jokerman said:
I don't ever use them, so I will need to practice if they are allowed!!!

Which makes it unfair. And this comp is about people's ability with RCT3, not their abiliity to paint a pretty mask over their creations with CS. A decision that is seemingly quite popular. (Albeit Benin does object strongly :lol: )

I am happy so far with the turnout, more more more :p

Understood. ;)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
jokerman said:
But when you have the ability to create any scenery you want, it stops being a game, and simply becomes a theme park designer. You may as well just draw pictures.

Isn't the point of the game to design theme parks? This point makes little sense really...

I don't see how CS takes away the challenge of building and designing a park... Or how it stops it being a game...

CS makes it just as challenging because it still needs to look good, all it does imo is give us more options to play around with, and indeed make it more realistic overall...

Look at Imagineer John's work, then tell me it's a pretty mask Neal...

I'm just curious now as to why there has been a sudden shift on this forums, once upon a time no-one cared, but in my project people had a go at me about it... It confused me and hence why I haven't bothered with it anymore...

nealbie

CF Legend
Seismic Shifts - They're not for everyone. :p

I can see where you're coming from. But there is more of a challenge in using what you've got, instead of going; "I want to do this, but I can't just DO it with what I've got. It would involve effort and such commodities. TO THE INTERNET!" Which is something I disapprove of :lol:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Neal needs to try stuff like Steelworks or Moby's Steel Jungle, then realise that CS is awesome ;)

Also look at the Custom Rides they have and tell me they don't look 10 times better than what the game gives...

Hell half the time the CS is more confusing than the normal stuff, and yet people manage to make custom wooden supports, it's crazy stuff...

If you can tell me how it's possible to do a Chinese themed land well without using CS, I want pictures and examples please :p

I'm going off on tangents so will leave this discussion and let you get along with your competition, but believe you need judges, I don't know about this whole everyone involved judges others... It's weird... Do you think the judges would be swayed due to 'friendships' or sommat?

CMonster

Giga Poster
Just a quick question...

Would you be allowed to put a train type on a different track? Just because with the ingame flyer there are hardly any good elements, you can't even make a half decent pretzel loop, same with the invert.

Not that it matters, as I'm not joining (stupid computer. :evil: ), but still.

nealbie

CF Legend
I did say it might end up being more political than Eurovision I believe.

I'm not saying that they're (CS) not gorgeous, because they are. And I do use them sparingly as an easy way out to make stuff look better with minimal effort. Which is what I see them as.

Yes, you're parks are stunning, and so is the stuff using practically 100% CS on the Atari forums. But they feel stale and un-RCT3. It's horrid, yet pretty :lol: