What's new

Rank your Ridden B&M Inverts

DelPiero

Strata Poster
New in Bold. Moved in Italics.

1 - Montu - Full of force, with a wonderful layout and the Batwing, back row Batwing is amazing.
2 - Nemesis - Not far behind Montu really, if it had a Batwing instead of the turnaround it could be number 1.
3 - Black Mamba - More of a floaty invert rather than intense, much preferred the front of this than the back.
4 - Afterburn - Good, but not great, Batwing is the highlight obviously.
5 - Banshee - First ride was horrible, down the bottom of my list, but got a couple of great rides at the front later on. Won't ride in the back though, just constant positives isn't nice.
6 - Raptor - Re rode and it's gone up a bit, yes there's a couple of dead spots but the final helix is fab, it has a great first half and it makes a gorgeous sound!
7 - Talon - Solid invert, best ride in the park, with some force and a bit of airtime.
8 - Patriot - Very similar to Talon, best part was the airtime hill and a good drop, the Zero G was also good, but the rest was a bit meh.
9 - Batman (SFGAM) - My fave of the Batmans, better theming, atmosphere and I've ridden it backwards too.

10 and 11 - Batman (SFGAdv and SFStl) - Good rides, very forceful at the back, don't mind a quick spin on these, but can't do more than 3 in a row.
12 - Dragon Challenge (Fireball) - Quite liked the red side, but it's near the bottom of the list compared to the others.
13 - Great Bear - Not a fan really, the loop and Immelmann are good but that's all. Nice views of Skyrush tho.
14 - Nemesis Inferno - Poor compared to the others, lacks force, snap and the effects generally don't work.
15 - Dragon Challenge (Horntail) - Had a great Zero G but that was all I liked about it, felt like the drop was totally wasted, lots of dead spots of straight track or long turns, hence bottom.

15 out of 49 B&Ms mean that Inverts make up 32.67% of my B&M count and it easily the highest contributor, and it is the same amount of "Wild Mice" I've ridden.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
1 OzIris
2 Nemesis
3 Black Mamba
4 Nemesis Inferno
5 Batman the ride
5 Batman la Fuga

Can't decide on the order for:
Alpengeist
Dueling Dragons (Ice)
Dueling Dragons (Fire)
Raptor
Monster
great bear
Talon

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Love me a B&M invert :)

1. Banshee- Its huge, really forceful, like the theming especially the church and the SOB gravestone and it may be an onpopular opinion but I really like the restraints
2. Montu- To follow others a great layout and plenty of force. I wonder if I had rode this after Banshee I would rate it above
3. Nemesis- The legend, 'pound for pound' probably the best but just so much smaller than the 2 above and in my opinion a little less thrilling a ride
4. Batman (SFGA)- The clones get a bit of stick and I dont know if I caught it on a hell of a good day but this was on par with Nemesis when I visited earlier this year, did not expect it all, Nemesis has to go ahead for the theming but it was still great
5. Talon- Bit of a drop off to 5th place but Talon is still a good ride and is quite forceful
6. Great Bear- I actually really like the spread out layout compared to the others, a fun ride with some nice views and scenery but just not as forceful as some of the others
7.Raptor- Again a decent ride and quite forceful but I found it a little uncomfortable compared to other B&M's but that noise is impressive
8. Dragon Challenge Fireball- I thoroughly enjoyed this at the time but having ridden a lot of other inverts since I just cant put it ahead of some of the others
9. Dragon Challenge Horntail- Thought it was a bit flat compared to the fireball but still a decent ride, the testament to the quality of B&M inverts
10. Nemesis Inferno- sacrilege they put the nemesis name on this, such a boring ride. I always think when I see the inbetweeners episode where they go on this, wills face on it is akin to how I feel on it

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Banshee - Kings Island - it's an original design with so much g-force. My only qualm is not very re-ride-able, but by far one of the better B&Ms of recent history.
2. Afterburn - Carowinds - Man, they don't make them like this any more! Smaller, but lots of tight, small inversions.
3. Raptor - Cedar Point - Come at me; this is one of the best ideas Cedar Point ever had. It still remains a forceful ride 24 years later; a lesser second half compared to today's standards is easily forgivable. It still has one of the best zero-g rolls and cobra rolls out there.
3. Great Bear - Hersheypark - And you said Raptor has a dwindling second half? This ride is very underrated for it's quirky layout - I still really enjoyed its flow of inversions!
4. Patriot - Worlds of Fun - It's a perfectly fun ride, but like Talon, doesn't offer an edge over other inverts.
5. Talon - Dorney Park - Great ride, very standard.
6. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain - It's blue.
7. Batman the Ride - Six Flags St. Louis - not blue.
8. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Over Georgia - blue again.
9. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Over Texas - yellow!
10. Chinese Fireball - Islands of Adventure - Better than the other half, but still feels like half a ride.
11. Hungarian Horntail - Islands of Adventure - Just felt... slow.
12. Silver Bullet - Knott’s Berry Farm - If only they would have given it a real hill to gain speed.

Pear

Strata Poster
1. Alpengeist - Incredible ride with great speed, pacing, snap, and some of my favorite inversions. Riding this front row at night in the pouring rain is an experience I'll never forget.
2. Montu - Very intense ride and I adore the zero g and the batwing. A fantastic ride but doesn't quite match Alpengeist for me.
3. Banshee - Did not expect to like this as much as I did. Great positives and float on the top of the inversions. The final roll is really fun as well!
4. Black Mamba - Really forceful and snappy with a great finale that snakes through theming. Nice footchoppers as well.
5. OzIris - Very fun invert with good variety of elements with some really nice theming.
6. Great Bear - I like the helix at the beginning and the rest of the elements pack a good punch. It's a very fun ride though it dies a little at the end. Fantastic zero g roll though!
7. Batman Clones - Surprisingly forceful and packs a big punch.
8. Afterburn - Really snappy but also lacking some forces besides the batwing and pullout of the loop. Overall pretty overrated, but still fun.
9. Silver Bullet - Forceless but still fun.
10. Raptor - Boring. Good forces but it all kinda felt generic to me.

New in bold.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
1. Montu
2. Black Mamba
3. Nemesis
4. Alpengeist
5. Dragon Challenge 1 (can't remember which but they ranked similarly)
6. Dragon Challenge 2
7. Great Bear
8. Oz Iris (only for that zero g)
9. Banshee
10. Raptor
11. Talon
12. Nemesis Inferno
13. Batman (Madrid)
14. Batmans (SFGAdv) This was insanely intense for some unknown reason!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
1. Banshee - Kings Island - it's an original design with so much g-force. My only qualm is not very re-ride-able, but by far one of the better B&Ms of recent history.
2. Afterburn - Carowinds - Man, they don't make them like this any more! Smaller, but lots of tight, small inversions.
3. Raptor - Cedar Point - Come at me; this is one of the best ideas Cedar Point ever had. It still remains a forceful ride 24 years later; a lesser second half compared to today's standards is easily forgivable. It still has one of the best zero-g rolls and cobra rolls out there.
3. Great Bear - Hersheypark - And you said Raptor has a dwindling second half? This ride is very underrated for it's quirky layout - I still really enjoyed its flow of inversions!
4. Patriot - Worlds of Fun - It's a perfectly fun ride, but like Talon, doesn't offer an edge over other inverts.
5. Talon - Dorney Park - Great ride, very standard.
6. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain - It's blue.
7. Batman the Ride - Six Flags St. Louis - not blue.
8. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Over Georgia - blue again.
9. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Over Texas - yellow!
10. Chinese Fireball - Islands of Adventure - Better than the other half, but still feels like half a ride.
11. Hungarian Horntail - Islands of Adventure - Just felt... slow.
12. Silver Bullet - Knott’s Berry Farm - If only they would have given it a real hill to gain speed.

Double post but I find that really interesting. I didn't find Banshee to have much force at all, I assumed because of it being so big but I found it to be nice and floaty like Oz Iris. I feel like opinions are really divided on this coaster. I really enjoyed it but it was different to the traditional expected B&M invert experience like Nemesis/Montu/Black Mamba. I know some people hate it because it has "no force" but I just take it for what it is as a separate entity and it's enjoyable.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Double post but I find that really interesting. I didn't find Banshee to have much force at all, I assumed because of it being so big but I found it to be nice and floaty like Oz Iris. I feel like opinions are really divided on this coaster. I really enjoyed it but it was different to the traditional expected B&M invert experience like Nemesis/Montu/Black Mamba. I know some people hate it because it has "no force" but I just take it for what it is as a separate entity and it's enjoyable.
Definitely a good deal of hang time in some inversions, but I still found the series of positive g's at the bottom of inversions starting after the dive loop to be there. Overall, I do describe this as having more g-force than others.

Snoo

The Legend
New in Bold. Moved in Italics.

1 - Montu - Full of force, with a wonderful layout and the Batwing, back row Batwing is amazing.
2 - Nemesis - Not far behind Montu really, if it had a Batwing instead of the turnaround it could be number 1.
3 - Black Mamba - More of a floaty invert rather than intense, much preferred the front of this than the back.
4 - Afterburn - Good, but not great, Batwing is the highlight obviously.
5 - Banshee - First ride was horrible, down the bottom of my list, but got a couple of great rides at the front later on. Won't ride in the back though, just constant positives isn't nice.
6 - Raptor - Re rode and it's gone up a bit, yes there's a couple of dead spots but the final helix is fab, it has a great first half and it makes a gorgeous sound!
7 - Talon - Solid invert, best ride in the park, with some force and a bit of airtime.
8 - Patriot - Very similar to Talon, best part was the airtime hill and a good drop, the Zero G was also good, but the rest was a bit meh.
9 - Batman (SFGAM) - My fave of the Batmans, better theming, atmosphere and I've ridden it backwards too.

10 and 11 - Batman (SFGAdv and SFStl) - Good rides, very forceful at the back, don't mind a quick spin on these, but can't do more than 3 in a row.
12 - Dragon Challenge (Fireball) - Quite liked the red side, but it's near the bottom of the list compared to the others.
13 - Great Bear - Not a fan really, the loop and Immelmann are good but that's all. Nice views of Skyrush tho.
14 - Nemesis Inferno - Poor compared to the others, lacks force, snap and the effects generally don't work.
15 - Dragon Challenge (Horntail) - Had a great Zero G but that was all I liked about it, felt like the drop was totally wasted, lots of dead spots of straight track or long turns, hence bottom.

15 out of 49 B&Ms mean that Inverts make up 32.67% of my B&M count and it easily the highest contributor, and it is the same amount of "Wild Mice" I've ridden.

I just saw this.. Tom.. CONSTANT POSITIVES ISN'T NICE? I don't know if we can cuddle anymore.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

I just saw this.. Tom.. CONSTANT POSITIVES ISN'T NICE? I don't know if we can cuddle anymore.
Context dude.
I love positives, but has to have some variation, there was no floatyness or negatives at all, just positive after positive. Even the Batman clones vary the forces slightly. The only variation was the disgusting inline at the end which was somehow worse than the previous constant G's.
I loved my 2nd row ride though, was miles better.
Threatening to withhold cuddles is a trout slapping offense though. I expect Marc to wallop you with a large fish for me.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Context dude.
I love positives, but has to have some variation, there was no floatyness or negatives at all, just positive after positive. Even the Batman clones vary the forces slightly. The only variation was the disgusting inline at the end which was somehow worse than the previous constant G's.
I loved my 2nd row ride though, was miles better.
Threatening to withhold cuddles is a trout slapping offense though. I expect Marc to wallop you with a large fish for me.

Hold on - let me get my fishing rod. I've got a lake monster to catch ;)

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
1. Nemesis - Alton Towers
2. Montu - Busch Gardens Africa
3. Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Europe
4. Afterburn - Carowinds
5. Dueling Dragons - Islands Of Adventure
6. Raptor - Cedar Point
7. Talon - Dorney Park
8. Batman The Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain
9. Goliath - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
10. Batman The Ride - Six Flags Great Adventure
11. Great Bear - Hersheypark
12. Batman The Ride - Six Flags Over Texas

Duckphone

Roller Poster
1. Batman The Ride (SFMM) - Intense and has lots of whip.
2. Silver Bullet - Not very intense, but still fun.

Matt N

CF Legend
Unlike most of these coaster type ranking threads, I've actually ridden 5 B&M inverts, and my ranking of them is as follows:
  1. Montu - Amazing! Really intense, really smooth and nice and long, as well! Great invert and my personal number 3 coaster; Busch Gardens and B&M knocked it out of the park with this one, in my opinion!
  2. Nemesis - It may be 24 years old, but it's still brilliant! Similar level of intensity to Montu, although it's shorter and a little less smooth than Montu, in my opinion, so it is ranked a little lower. Still an amazing ride, though!
  3. Nemesis Inferno - I don't personally think the Nemesis name gives this ride the justice it deserves, because it's still a great ride, in my opinion, despite being inferior to Nemesis! It packs a punch, it's nice and smooth and generally a great ride all-round, in my opinion!
  4. Dragon Challenge (Hungarian Horntail) - While the queue was stunning, I wasn't particularly enamoured with either side of Dragon Challenge, if I'm being honest. I rode this side in 2014, so I rode it longer ago than I rode Chinese Fireball, and I don't remember either side of Dragon Challenge really doing much for me in terms of forces, pacing or just anything, really. They were also pretty uncomfortable, from what I remember; this one less so, which is why it's ranked higher than Chinese Fireball. Controversial, I know!
  5. Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball) - Same as above, but more jolty and a little more uncomfortable. I rode this one in 2016, so I rode this one more recently than I rode Horntail.
So there's my ranking of B&M's inverts! Bear in mind with Dragon Challenge that I never experienced them duelling, so that might have affected my experience of them.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
There's gonna be a lot of unpopular opinions and hot takes here, so be prepared!
  1. Raptor, Cedar Point; This ride is surely one of the best coasters I've ridden! It's very intense, very smooth despite it's age, and honestly, the headbanging doesn't really bother me that much.
  2. Banshee, Kings Island; Honestly, Banshee could be better than Raptor, but the rattle brings it down a spot. A very fun, intense ride nonetheless!
  3. Alpengeist, BGW; It's been a while since I've ridden this ride, but I remember it being very fun and smooth. I definitely need a re-ride to see if it would be higher though.
  4. Afterburn, Carowinds; THE single largest disappointment of my East Coast Cedar Fair trip, I found Afterburn for the most part forceless and a little bit on the rougher side, and not just because of headbanging. In fact, I don't remember banging my head at all! It was still a very fun ride, but like Alpengeist, I definitely need a re-ride.
I also need to mention that I only got 1 ride on both Alpengeist and Afterburn, and they were both in the 4th row, and both in the "Big Boy" seat, and I blame my sister for this as she said, and I quote, "NO ZACH I'M NOT WAITING IN THAT LONG OF A LINE" when the line was only 2 :emoji_zipper_mouth:ING TRAINS AWAY FROM US GETTING ON FOR THE BACK ROW! I was pretty pissed off about that.

sirloin

Roller Poster
These ratings will be totally shaky and often change with the day of the week, but let me see if I can give this a shot:

1) Batman-The Ride/Great White/Goliath: These aren't just my favorite inverts, but they're some of my favorite looping coasters anywhere. B&M at their most brutally intense, in a good way. I know they're, for all intents and purposes, identical, but Great White may be the best of the bunch. Goliath is definitely the worst because that missing seventh car and the ensuing weight loss seems to take a bit away from the ride's intensity (I'm amazed one car could make a difference, but there it is). Even though quality varies slightly from example to example based on theming and such, it's easier to lump all eight into one than try and rank them individually.

2) Afterburn: The only invert to challenge the above for the crown. It's B-TR scaled up with some great inversion variation to boot. Absolutely outstanding.

3) Flight Deck: For a ride I felt never seemed to get much attention, it's a gem. CGA has a real winner here.

4) Banshee: Despite having that feel of a newer B&M where inversions seem oversized at the expense of intensity, it actually worked here. It made the ride more unnerving than I thought it would.

5) Montu: A weak second half keeps this ride from sitting higher, but its first half that inspired Afterburn's first five inversions is sublime.

6) OzIris: Baby Banshee is still magnificent, and the scaled-down size helped in the intensity department. It's an absolutely stellar coaster.

7) Talon: One could argue it's one of the most generic inverts ever, but seeing as we're talking inverts, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's got a great amount of kick to it.

8) Silver Bullet: A shockingly good coaster that mixed the pacing of smaller inverts with the clutch finale of Raptor.

9) Alpengeist: A very, very good ride that unfortunately fizzles out at the end.

10) Raptor: I'm sure it's blasphemous of me to put this one this low, but despite some fantastic moments, I felt like it sometimes struggled a bit on pacing. My last laps on this were five years ago, though, so make of that what you will.

11) Dueling Dragons (Fire): A ride that would have been just as fine on its own. The wrap-around Immelman was excellent. Also, I know I'm using the original name, but as the ride is no more, I feel no obligation to call it by its final name. ;)

12) Dueling Dragons (Ice): See above, although a little less so. When dueling, these two rides would probably rank higher, but I'm basing these ratings off of their final incarnation.

13) Great Bear: Don't let the low ranking fool you. It's still a solid ride, and it will hold a special place in my heart given the role it played in my overcoming of my fear of coasters.

14) Patriot: Not a bad ride. Everything else is just better. It's Talon without the aggression.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
6) OzIris: Baby Banshee is still magnificent, and the scaled-down size helped in the intensity department. It's an absolutely stellar coaster.
Interesting you refer to OzIris as a "baby Banshee" - I really never thought of OzIris like that. I get the impression that OzIris is much more "twisty" that Banshee, which appears to just rely on the big elements.

Not saying your wrong, necessarily, but I've never heard the comparison before and others may disagree.