What's new

Rank the RMCs

Hutch

Strata Poster
It's honestly not bad at all though. The launch just stops like a train's length from the very top, and I don't even know if it's an actual trim. You slow down a little bit, but it doesn't feel like a trim.

The rest of the ride is still crazy and the first drop was fantastic.

Snoo

The Legend
Ooo. That's different. I didn't notice any true difference from the full launch and slowed down launch tbh besides a little more pop of air at the top of the lift.. which was never the highlight of the ride anyway.

iac17

Mega Poster
Ooo. That's different. I didn't notice any true difference from the full launch and slowed down launch tbh besides a little more pop of air at the top of the lift.. which was never the highlight of the ride anyway.
i felt no airtime on the first drop both in first row and last row

Hutch

Strata Poster
i felt no airtime on the first drop both in first row and last row
If you're talking about the first hill immediately after the launch, then I understand that (I got some air but its very minimal). If you're talking about the main drop, then I don't know what happened to you because my ass literally left the seat every time.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Does this site all of a sudden rank Lightning Rod as a weak RMC now because it's a little jostly and trimmed a bit? Isn't a bit of roughness what makes wooden coasters fun? And as for the trims, I haven't ridden it since March 2017, so maybe they ruined the ride, but I can't imagine they do that much damage.

Snoo

The Legend
Does this site all of a sudden rank Lightning Rod as a weak RMC now because it's a little jostly and trimmed a bit? Isn't a bit of roughness what makes wooden coasters fun? And as for the trims, I haven't ridden it since March 2017, so maybe they ruined the ride, but I can't imagine they do that much damage.

As I haven't been on it, I can't say.. but I know a few people who rode it late last year who do not say as much. As I said, I've ridden it both pre and post launch change and they were both still a wonderful experience and ultimately not the deciding factor. Even at the beginning, the drop wasn't blow you away but relatively good. I'll be riding it later this year so I can better tell you then.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I rode it last month for the first time and you can see it's my #2. I haven't done it before they changed the launch, but I can't imagine the rest of the ride was any different before, especially since the ride is already insane as it is. As for the roughness there's only a spot at the bottom of the drop which is a little rough, relatively speaking. That part isn't as rough as a typical woodie and the rest of the ride is quite smooth, and imo on par with the smoothness of an Intamin steel.

Don't worry about them ruining the ride. With the exception of a few people, this site still generally rates Lightning Rod as an excellent coaster. :)

Snoo

The Legend
I rode it last month for the first time and you can see it's my #2. I haven't done it before they changed the launch, but I can't imagine the rest of the ride was any different before, especially since the ride is already insane as it is. As for the roughness there's only a spot at the bottom of the drop which is a little rough, relatively speaking. That part isn't as rough as a typical woodie and the rest of the ride is quite smooth, and imo on par with the smoothness of an Intamin steel.

Don't worry about them ruining the ride. With the exception of a few people, this site still generally rates Lightning Rod as an excellent coaster. :)

I think others may be comparing it to Steel Vengeance as well.. which isn't good.. because its nothing like it. :)

iac17

Mega Poster
If you're talking about the first hill immediately after the launch, then I understand that (I got some air but its very minimal). If you're talking about the main drop, then I don't know what happened to you because my ass literally left the seat every time.
both the hill after the launch and the drop had no airtime wen i rode it and the rest of the ride was rough(i had an headache when i got of the ride for the first time...)
and yeah the quad down is good but the roughness killed it imo
maybe i just had some bad rides that day but it was not as good as i immagined it to be

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Are you high again? Those rides are not rough.

Source: I'm a bitch for anything with a rattle and rode both inside past 3ish months.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NTG is the closest thing I’ve seen to RMC roughness because of its lack of laminate. It does click when it travels from one rail segment to another. However, it’s just a minor tick and exerts no real force at all. The ride is still glass smooth, even for 7 years old. Gives me serious hope that they’ll all stand the test of time.

JSM

Mega Poster
Mind linking the post?
Haha 3 month late reply, somehow missed your comment. Unfortunately I couldn't find that post again but I'm sure if the wheels were switched back more people would've mentioned it so I doubt it

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
1. Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
2. Lighting Rod, Dollywood

Does it really matter after that? :p

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ooooh, I've actually got a few now. I'm not going to include Wonder Woman as it's a totally different type of coaster from the others.

1. Goliath - There's been a bit of time between this and the others, but I still think it would be top if I rode it again, mostly down to the huge first drop and zero-g stall.

2. Twisted Cyclone - I hadn't followed construction, so was surprised at how compact it was, but it crams a lot in. Some crazy, thigh-crushing airtime in there.

3. Steel Medusa - I was kind of expecting this to be the top one, but it didn't quite manage it. I'm not a fan of first drops that aren't really drops. It's a beast though.

4. Iron Rattler - I very nearly put this above Medusa since I actually found it quite a bit more enjoyable and a lot more rerideable. The setting on the cliff is fab and I love that you can't see much of it before you ride.

5. New Texas Giant - It starts off well, and I like the more drawn-out layout, but the second half is just dull unfortunately.