What's new

Rank the B&M Hyper coasters

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I can only comment on the shammy experiences I’ve had. I’ve been four times (ie four diff trips) and visited over a number of days over each trip and it’s always run like a dream.

I can’t say the same for silver star, it had a pretty solid vibration on it in places when I rode it last year.
Same here, but the opposite obviously :p
Silver Star hasn't disappointed me on either on either trip, whereas Shambhala was a major disappointment on my one visit.
I concede that I'm sure it will run better next time I visit but as of right now I would much rather plonk my ass on SS.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Silver Star hasn't disappointed me on either on either trip, whereas Shambhala was a major disappointment on my one visit.
I concede that I'm sure it will run better next time I visit but as of right now I would much rather plonk my ass on SS.
Bingo. Although only done a Europa trip once. Couldn't agree more.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Ha- entirely fair!! Don't get me wrong, I looove SS, she's till a babe.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Be interested to sample a few more soon. Doesn't really feel like I've experienced what the type is all about yet.
And the results are in.

1. Hollywood Dream (aided by backwards)
2. Nitro
3. Silver Star
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Goliath (SFoG)

6. Shambhala
7. Intimidator

Starting to have my doubts about that seating position and the size of the trains that come with it, seems to elevate that sluggishness to the next level.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
1. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia)
2. Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
3. Apollo’s Chariot
4. Diamondback
5. Intimidator (Carowinds)

Alex B

Mega Poster
nitro is at my home park and the ops consistently **** up and I try to go 2 x per month it’s amazing except for when u accidentally staple yourself

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
  1. Mako
  2. Goliath (SFOG)
  3. Behemoth
  4. Leviathan
  5. Apollo's Chariot
  6. Nitro
  7. Diamondback
  8. Goliath (La Ronde)
  9. Intimidator (Carowinds)
  10. Raging Bull

Better update this - things have changed!
  1. Fury 325 - not only the best hyper coaster (by product line), it's B&M's finest creation to date.
  2. Mako - excellent ride with great pacing and some serious airtime.
  3. Goliath (SFOG) - probably the most airtime oriented out of every hyper B&M has built with a great helix to boot. Seriously awesome ride.
  4. Behemoth - it's going the route of Millennium Force and aging like a fine wine. Pacing and airtime has improved with each visit.
  5. Leviathan - great ride, but it just didn't hit quite as hard as my first ride back when it first opened.
  6. Intimidator (Carowinds) - whatever the park is doing to this coaster (and Canada's Wonderland to Behemoth), it's working. The ride was running great last month when we were down there for the Live.
  7. Apollo's Chariot - still gives a pretty strong ride and the terrain interaction helps.
  8. Nitro - it's been a decade but I remember Nitro giving a strong ride.
  9. Diamondback - REALLY lost its luster over the years, which is a shame because it was a great ride for its first few years of operation.
  10. Goliath (La Ronde) - good ride set in a beautiful location, but it cannot compete with the rest due to its size.
  11. Raging Bull - please take off the trims...pretty please.

Also, I'm beginning to realize how spoiled I am with my list here. Out of 17 listed hyper coasters by B&M, I've been on 11. One hasn't even gone vertical yet (Candymonium), one may never open (Hot Go), one more just opened weeks ago (Music Coaster), and the remaining three are a matter of visiting their parks (Hollywood Dream, Silver Star, Shambhala).

Matt N

CF Legend
As this thread is the main thread for B&M hyper discussion, I just wanted to ask; is it true that B&M hypers don't tend to age very well, as a rule of thumb? I'm only asking because I hear comments about tons of B&M hypers reportedly aging badly for a variety of reasons e.g. becoming rattly, becoming slower. From reviews I've heard, I get the impression that multiple hypers have kind of soured with age, including:
  • Diamondback: Is reportedly weaker airtime-wise and has gained a significant rattle.
  • Goliath SFOG: Again, I've heard that it has weaker airtime than it used to and rattles quite badly in some of the valleys.
  • Raging Bull: Many report that the airtime has grown weaker.
  • Shambhala: Again, I've heard many report that the airtime has grown weaker.
  • Nitro: Quite a few people say that they got very weak airtime on it and that it's quite rough now.
  • Apollo's Chariot: Is apparently rougher than it used to be.
I've even heard people call Mako rough. I must admit, all these comments about B&M hypers not aging too well make me slightly worried about reriding Mako, because I rode it last in 2016 and I remember it being glass smooth with tons of insane airtime!

Is it true that B&M hypers tend to age badly, from you guys' experience?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
1) Fury 325
2) Nitro
3) Mako
4) Goliath SFOG
5) Apollo's Chariot
6) Raging Bull
7) Intimidator

I was genuinely surprised that a hyper could be worse than Bull. Almost impressive. But other than that, the top 3 were all very good, with them all providing some really nice airtime with solid forces. Apollo and Bull were close, mostly because Apollo was reportedly running like ass when I rode.

Bull still has the best drop of them all.

Last edited:

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
As this thread is the main thread for B&M hyper discussion, I just wanted to ask; is it true that B&M hypers don't tend to age very well, as a rule of thumb? I'm only asking because I hear comments about tons of B&M hypers reportedly aging badly for a variety of reasons e.g. becoming rattly, becoming slower. From reviews I've heard, I get the impression that multiple hypers have kind of soured with age, including:
  • Diamondback: Is reportedly weaker airtime-wise and has gained a significant rattle.
  • Goliath SFOG: Again, I've heard that it has weaker airtime than it used to and rattles quite badly in some of the valleys.
  • Nitro: Quite a few people say that they got very weak airtime on it and that it's quite rough now.
I've even heard people call Mako rough. I must admit, all these comments about B&M hypers not aging too well make me slightly worried about reriding Mako, because I rode it last in 2016 and I remember it being glass smooth with tons of insane airtime!

I wouldn't say this is true, actually IMO Silver Star rides a lot better than it used to. Shambhala i would say hasn't really changed a bit since opening year, its still a smooth floater airtime machine of a ride. Raging Bull i have only rode in 2019 but i honestly think the rides layout isn't really focused on airtime to begin with, the ride is just in general weak.

Alex B

Mega Poster

Nitros not bad in the slightest it has good floater and even flojector it has a minor rattle but it doesn’t take away from it

Matt N

CF Legend
1) Fury 325
2) Nitro
3) Goliath SFOG
4) Apollo's Chariot
5) Raging Bull
6) Intimidator

I was genuinely surprised that a hyper could be worse than Bull. Almost impressive. But other than that, the top 3 were all very good, with them all providing some really nice airtime with solid forces. Apollo and Bull were close, mostly because Apollo was reportedly running like ass when I rode.

Bull still has the best drop of them all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you also say you've ridden Mako?
I wouldn't say this is true, actually IMO Silver Star rides a lot better than it used to. Shambhala i would say hasn't really changed a bit since opening year, its still a smooth floater airtime machine of a ride. Raging Bull i have only rode in 2019 but i honestly think the rides layout isn't really focused on airtime to begin with, the ride is just in general weak.
Nitros not bad in the slightest it has good floater and even flojector it has a minor rattle but it doesn’t take away from it
Ah right, good to hear! Thanks for the clarification, guys!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you also say you've ridden Mako?
You are absolutely right! Updated my list accordingly.

But yeah, I really don't think the Hypers are getting that bad. Obviously stuff gets old, but they're still some solid rides. If anything it's just some people complaining that it's not the butter smooth airtime machines that lots of enthusiasts think they are.

Matt N

CF Legend
You are absolutely right! Updated my list accordingly.

But yeah, I really don't think the Hypers are getting that bad. Obviously stuff gets old, but they're still some solid rides. If anything it's just some people complaining that it's not the butter smooth airtime machines that lots of enthusiasts think they are.
I will always happily sing the praises of the B&M hyper ride type; I've only done Mako, but when I rode it, it was absolutely outstanding... outstanding enough to take my number 1 spot and still have it close to 3 years later!

Pear

Strata Poster
1. Apollo's Chariot - Rode this back row with a ton of room and was flying out of my seat on all the hills. Easily one of the best hypers out there.

2. Behemoth - Great ride, especially when trimless and full of great floater airtime. Decent 2nd half as well.

3. Intimidator - Rode this when it was running extremely fast and got very good airtime on all the hills and some good forces in the turnaround. I wish it had a longer 2nd half though.

4. Silver Star - The first half was okay but the trimless 2nd half was so good in the back row. Great air off the MCBR and on the hills after it. Very fun ride!

5. Diamondback - I got this when it was running slow I guess since apart from the drop my butt was in my seat for the entire ride. It was very boring, but like I said it was probably running slow. Hopefully next time I'm at KI it'll be better.

6. Nitro - Very boring ride. There is barely any airtime and the 2nd half is slow and stupid. I do not get the praise for this ride since I find it extremely overrated. I understand that there are some days where it runs well but that just makes the ride very inconsistent.

Guess it's finally time to update this

1. Mako
2. Apollo's Chariot
3. Behemoth
4. Diamondabck
5. Intimidator
6. Silver Star
7. Nitro

If Mako is anything to go off of Candymonium will be quite good.

Jstanich

Roller Poster

I wouldn’t say they really age that badly. I got 6 laps on Apollo’s Chariot last week and it was was running great. It’s the first hyper they built. Great drop, good floater on the first airtime hill and the next one down towards the Rhine. Good forces in the helix after that. The drop off the MCBR and the next airtime hill were ripping me out of my seat. I rode it about 6 or 7 years before and had a high opinion of it and still do. That ride is 20 years old and it’s still great.
I rode Diamondback for the first time last August and it was giving plenty of airtime. There was some significant jackhammering coming out of the hammerhead but that was the only point of the ride that I noticed any roughness. Wasn’t enough that I didn’t enjoy the ride though. Though I never rode it when it was newer so I can’t compare it to what was it’s former glory. But I really liked it.
Rode Nitro last August also for the first time. Don’t have anything bad to say about it. Was running good when I rode it.
Mako on the other hand. I don’t get all the hype for it. Maybe I caught it on a bad day or I was expecting too much from it. But it did literally nothing for me. I got 4 laps on it back in February. It was smooth as silk, I’ll give it that, but the only time I got any air was on a back row ride. And it was only on one hill and it was pretty weak really. Other than that it just kinda felt like it was just meandering around. But I’m planning on getting on back there next year and giving it another go before giving final judgement on it.