What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

U.K Thrill Rides

Roller Poster
There is a possibility that a new major ride will be coming to Thorpe Park in 2019. This is because I'm the current place where loggers leap is there is plenty enough room for a big rollercoaster. Also Loggers Leap has been closed for 2 years but no work has been going has been happening on it. To me this could mean that Thorpe are adding something in the place that loggers leap is currently in. In addition, this is the only big place left on the island for a rollercoaster and their last rollercoaster was added in 2012. So they should be adding a new rollercoaster soon. If they did get a new rollercoaster a wooden one or a RMC would be amazing there!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
>Thorpe Park's next big thing is due in 2020.
>There's plenty of other places for a major roller coaster to go aside from Loggers Leap. The island between Swarm and Stealth. The plot of land next to I'm a Celeb and Slammer's site. Tear down Storm Surge and there's an ideal spot. If they ever open up their 'proper hotel', the Shark Hotel land too.
>There's no reason that they 'should' add a new roller coaster soon. Yes, coasters are what Thorpe do best and attract the most attention. But as proven with Ghost Train, they can create hype with other ride types too. I'm sure they could spin a huge new log flume if they wanted to.

So yeah, it's possible they might get something on Loggers' site in the future. But not a major coaster in 2019.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I've heard from someone that there will be a new "Steel Coaster" within the next two years for Thorpe. Finally learnt their lesson with DBGT apparently as they had to replace most of the ride system over the winter break.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
The OP sums up everything embarrassing about the current UK enthusiast scene. Just lots of chatting nonsense about wild theories like they'll most likely be a thing.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
No new big attraction for Thrope in 2019 as it's already been confirmed for 2020, and Chessington or Legoland is due a large investment in 2019.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Nice to see a little enthusiasm. The OP lists no sources, but as JoshC, Crazycoaster, and Bert2theSpark say; there are credible (or even confirmed?) rumours out there. A little sad to see that nothing is expected for another two-and-a-half years, but hey, 2018 looks nice enough for the UK as it is, and there may yet be pleasant surprises in store for 2019 too.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Who knows maybe we could have potential new attractions Merlin wise in the next 2 years before the large scale development.

Astro61201

Roller Poster
Unless there are surveyors markings or what not in the area, I'd find it improbable for a rollercoaster o be in this location because:

A.) There were plans a few years ago floating round for a coaster next to swarm island, so Thorpe has been looking to build there for ages now (however they may not use this space for definite ).

B.) This side of the island suffers from bad ground which has caused Saw to somewhat subside over the years, which some would argue has resulted in a rougher ride than other Eurofighters, I doubt Thorpe would want to risk this happening to another ride, if they did build in this area they may have to/ want to reinforce the ground to protect the 'new' coaster and Saw from further subsidence.

Lofty

CF Legend
There's so much nonsense being put in this topic about what is going to be built etc, the reality is that the next large investment SHOULD be in 2020 by the rule of thumb of low, low, medium, high investment (standardised Merlin Parks investment structure). But, there's still no information as to what that product will be yet - mainly because even MMM don't know just yet. So, everyone saying they have credible sources is all well and good, but if those credible sources are gaining information that's also not factually correct, it's all a bit redundant.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Would you say Heidi's "Ghostbusters" is a medium investment?

Heide and Chessington were still operating under Merlin's old 3-year investment cycle (low, medium, high...or medium, low, high, can never remember which way round) up until this year. Hence why Heide got Ghostbusters and Chessington got Gruffalo.

Assuming they continue with the 4 year cycle, their next major investments will be 2021. That fits with Chessington's recent long term development plan they revealed recently. I guss Heide might be different if Colossos gets the axe for good though.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Chessington have thrown that cycle out the window and adopted one of low low low slightly less low low low low more :emoji_poop: low low low

You know what comment I will make about Parques Reunidos here, so this time I won't even bother making it.

Also, I know I appreciated the enthusiasm of the thread starter in my post above, after all one can assume with some degree of certainty that some new coaster will come to Thorpe in the next three years, but adding the tag "RMC" to the thread is too much, even for me.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
All I need now is "Merlin's investment plans changed after the Smilier incident" and "The guys from Mack were seen there the other day" and I can call Enthusiast Bingo!

Tbh, although I have a little bit of faith in this Merlin investment cycle bollocks that people spout every so often, I think the reality is nobody knows exactly what will happen. I am confident that the Merlin parks are individually allocated a varying sum of cash every year and the nature of the business dictates that every other year or so they must have something big to maintain interest. But this big, big, small, medium, big, small etc whatever stuff seems like bollocks. Mr Varnry probably says to Mr Thorpe or whatever, "In 2020, we're going to give you £20,000,000 to spend". Does that automatically equate to one kick ass coaster? No. It could be spent on several flats or perhaps infrastructure. Yes there is probably a MTDP, but that is just a wish list. In reality, it is a business that has to adapt and react on a frequently changing basis due to cash flow, visitor numbers, sponsorship deals, the wider economy and other external factors. This investment cycle was probably true a decade ago but nowadays it is nonsense and it drives me nuts!

On the surface of things, the opening post is correct. Thorpe Park is due a new coaster and it's been a while since they had one. There might not be any substantial evidence but, yeah, 2019 seems like it could be a possibility. Those who have followed coasters and park companies for years, know that isn't going to happen, but the sentiment is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.