What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Yes because mountain villages are designed and spaced out by professional architects... I think it looks more realistic when cluttered and all over the place tbh. <3

Mike T

Mega Poster
Yea because mountain villages consist of two large steel roller coasters that dead-end with each other at the back of the park. It's not so much a thematic issue (although they could of done a lot better spatially), it's an issue of cramming your two biggest attractions in the same general space. It's cluttered.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Mike T said:
Yea because mountain villages consist of two large steel roller coasters that dead-end with each other at the back of the park. It's not so much a thematic issue (although they could of done a lot better spatially), it's an issue of cramming your two biggest attractions in the same general space. It's cluttered.

The issue of having two big rides in the same area has been discussed over and over again in the past. I am not keen on the idea either, but, oh well... I guess PA are still doing a great job making Shambhala area look as nice as it could be. I mean, how many rides of this caliber get that much amount of themeing around them? Not even Busch themed Apollo's queues that much...

peep said:
Yay for on-ride cameras? Meh, each to their own I suppose.

Wow, that bridge connecting the cattlepen of doom to the station looks really odd, not sure if I like it. Still sounds like testing could begin soon which is good.

Let's see how long they last :S Spaniards are such vandals! About the connecting bridge, I think they have to add the finishing ageing touches. Who knows? Maybe they'll make it look as it was made of wood... In fact, the whole "cattlepen building-bridge-station" scheme is really like Dragon Khan's queueline...

Can't wait for testing! Here you are some more detailed pictures of the queue building and station:

rollercoaster2012-319.jpg

rollercoaster2012-320.jpg

rollercoaster2012-321.jpg

rollercoaster2012-322.jpg

rollercoaster2012-323.jpg

rollercoaster2012-325.jpg

rollercoaster2012-324.jpg

Source: DjJavi5x from PAFans.com

Mike T

Mega Poster
My point being that they had 20 acres to the right of Khan to build on, and they chose to build on top of their flagship attraction.

Ethan

Strata Poster
The location is clever. The parabola of Shambhala represent the mountains of the Himalayas, with the Chinese dragon (Kahn) in the foreground. I think it looks FAB <3

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Finally, the moment of truth:

th720d02dc622d0423163f1.jpg

Although it's weird. I thought B&M didn't do pull-through tests... and this looks like one :roll:

Source: CAPTE.org

spicy

Giga Poster
Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

I think B&M normally do pull throughs? I swear Swarm had one.

Still means testing should be happening very soon, can't wait to see how it runs.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Can't what... :)

Yay those trains are awesome! Can't wait to get on it, the view will be fantastic. Can't wait to see the theming finally finished either!

Lofty

CF Legend
Damn me for changing my mind half way though posting as to what I was going to put. "I can't wait to see it testing". Is what I meant to put.

Coasterlover

Roller Poster
Re: Port Aventura |

spicy said:
I think B&M normally do pull throughs? I swear Swarm had one.

Still means testing should be happening very soon, can't wait to see how it runs.

I don't think Swarm had one but I may be wrong, they definately had the 2D Safety Envelope though.

BTW that lift-hill looks HUGE :shock:

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I'm guessing that B&M doesn't do pull throughs unless they think there's a possibility of a collision. For instance, if it's a big, open floorless or hyper in the parking lot with a nice, spread out layout, then they'll just use the PVC envelope. However, if it's designed to have near misses like Swarm, large trains (I heard somewhere that SheiKra had a pull through), then they'll use the actual train. In Shamby's case, I think it's all the tunnels and the interaction with Kahn.

Just a guess, but I think I might be right. It's the only logical reason I can think of why they would do pull throughs on some rides but not others.

Lofty

CF Legend
Mike T said:
My point being that they had 20 acres to the right of Khan to build on, and they chose to build on top of their flagship attraction.
Just realised what you'd actually posted. I personally think it's a great choice to put this here, it's actually leaving more open space to add new attractions/new areas to the park in the future.

AltonTowersFan

Mega Poster
2012Jarrett said:
I'm guessing that B&M doesn't do pull throughs unless they think there's a possibility of a collision. For instance, if it's a big, open floorless or hyper in the parking lot with a nice, spread out layout, then they'll just use the PVC envelope. However, if it's designed to have near misses like Swarm, large trains (I heard somewhere that SheiKra had a pull through), then they'll use the actual train. In Shamby's case, I think it's all the tunnels and the interaction with Kahn.
I think it's the other way arround, if they think there is a possibility of collision, they use the metal envolope to not damage the car/train.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I don't think the car will get damaged at about 5mph.

Anyway, the detail going into those buildings is amazing. Makes the area look very nice and themed.

Looks like the on-ride camara has been installed on the the front of one of the trains.
th720_91e036d869fb4db5dfd1e35e33dd418c.jpg