What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

marc

CF Legend
Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

Maybe this is why it did not need trims.

Maybe they will use different wheels or maybe that's the speed of it.

Not sure what everyone expected its a B&M that gives floater, at that speed though not sure what you will get.

Bit sad it goes through that nice turn around so slow.

It's sort of doing what many expected it to do tbh.

Maybe it will speed up when it's worn in a bit, let's hope it does as it's a great looking coaster.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Everybody thinks coasters run slowly their first time around. I remember last year that Cheetah Hunt barely made it through its heartline roll and now it goes through it at a pretty good speed. Same thing with Wild Eagle and The Swarm this year. Shambhala should be no different. I expect it to pull a few positive Gs around that turnaround on opening day.

Lofty

CF Legend
As I said to Oriol, it just is a beautiful looking coaster, no matter what it turns out like, it's still a new coaster to fill the time and with a first drop like that, how can it not be fun?

Snoo

The Legend
Exactly what I thought it would be.. incredibly mediocre. I'd like to think this will let the fanboy juices dry, crust up, and fall away but.. alas.. it won't.

Cheers to positivity!

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't understand what the problem is with fanboys thinking it's good and enjoying it? Just because you don't think it's gonna be good and it's mediocre doesn't mean everyone has to think that way? :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You're right Lofty but... you can't say that it wasn't really disappointing to see it running like that.

I'm more than aware of how this is a perfectly natural thing to happen on an initial test run, but let's face it, that looked lame. Like... really lame.

I think Shambala looks fantastic, but you are giving the impression of being a bit of a fan-boy at the moment Lofty and it's a bit frustrating. ;)

Tim

Roller Poster
Didn't they state at some point that they were going to advertise this as a family ride?

Well they better had...

Lofty

CF Legend
Hixee said:
You're right Lofty but... you can't say that it wasn't really disappointing to see it running like that.
I did say that though Matt, I said it looks very sluggish, there's no denying that and if anybody does say otherwise, they need to be beaten with a big stick.

I think Shambala looks fantastic, but you are giving the impression of being a bit of a fan-boy at the moment Lofty and it's a bit frustrating. ;)
I do really like PA, I'll admit it, but I'm not exactly a cloudy eyed fanboy. I can see the flaws in anything really, they've actually made some BIG mistakes in the past couple of years (in my eyes). If people want to get frustrated because of what I say or my enthusiasm for wanting to enjoy a new experience, let them, I actually find it quite amusing people would take that much notice of what I say to get affected ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not quite sure what you were all expecting, we knew it was never going to fly through the hills, and it only looks fractionally slower than I was expecting (close to stalling on one of the hills), was anybody truly expecting to fly through each element?

It still looks incredible.

Kebab

Giga Poster
It's not slow... They just forgot to disable improved friction (Requires NoLimits 1.6 or newer)...

I wasn't expecting it to fly through the elements, they're huge! Whereas on Khan, they're a lot more compact for the train to fly through, it's mostly perception. I do hope it picks up more speed though.

Snoo

The Legend
Lofty said:
I don't understand what the problem is with fanboys thinking it's good and enjoying it? Just because you don't think it's gonna be good and it's mediocre doesn't mean everyone has to think that way? :)

I never said it was a problem, just pointing out the obvious. ;)

Hixee said:
I'm more than aware of how this is a perfectly natural thing to happen on an initial test run, but let's face it, that looked lame. Like... really lame.

Of course, what more could you expect? Hypers never REALLY deliver and even at an accelerated speed.. the likelihood of epicness is barely there. We can only hope though.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Diamondback was amazing until that **** trim...this just looks like a disappointment. Visually, it looks fantastic, but for everyone saying its only the first test run it will get better, don't hold your breath, it will probably "feel" faster, but it won't get much faster.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Second test. Although it looks about the same, it shows other angles (and some lame shooting skills lol).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USFuIvFhfOE[/youtube]

Biggest bummer so far is seeing the ampersand element being taken SO slowly...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Hmm it is a tad slow, doesn't really seem to compete with Diamondback or Behemoth. Though I think I see now why they might try and market it as a Family ride, it'll have great theming and it has that majestic and elegant floater on the tops of those hills. I'm a little disappointed with the turnaround it seems like a waste :/

Lofty

CF Legend
We all kind of knew it was gonna be slow, but that's SUPER slow. From that angle, the Ampersand doesn't look AS bad as the first one, but it's still bad ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It does indeed look slow, but then Leviathan's pov after a good looking start did too.

All the huge lift hill coasters are slow. Not in terms of actual speed, but they don't convey a sense of a speed. I can only assume it's because their drawn out nature and the fact they stay so far away from the ground means there's less of a comparison to static objects. It's like being on a plane. When you look out the window, you have no sense of traveling at speed. This applies to watching coasters offride too, as again, you have no sense that a plane is moving fast when you look up. I couldn't believe how boring Millenium force and I305's drops were. It was like a powered mine train. No sense of acceleration or speed what-so-ever.

But, Shambhala does look even slower. And when you consider it'll be warmer in Salou right now than Ontario... Hm.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
A net is being put under Shambhala's first drop.

th720_993c5c910059f76e7e8db904b1249851.jpg

I assume this will be done in all area where the paths go under Shambhala's track or where DK and Shamby interact.

To throw another object of speculation: could Shambhala get a Silver Star treatment on its first drop? (So, ending up with a sound wall :evil: ).

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
oriolat2 said:
To throw another object of speculation: could Shambhala get a Silver Star treatment on its first drop? (So, ending up with a sound wall :evil: ).

I can assure you, that's not gonna happen.
If PA had problems with noise from roller coasters, Dragon Khan probably wouldn't have that amazing roar <3

Oh, and another test video has been released! This time the quality is much better, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DALnwS7Hk#!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It seems strange that they are adding the netting now? Don't they usually attach that to the track before hoisting it up into place, like on the lift hill?

As for the scream wall, that seems just like ridiculous speculation, along the same likes as me saying "Shambhala might have a backwards train!"