What's new

Phantasialand | Taron | Intamin launched

Ethan

Strata Poster
I know it doesn't have inversions or go high, but the theming, track colour and speed/nature of the ride don't scream "family fun" to me at all. It screams thrill ride to me!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
A behind the scene video on the rock theming, interesting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQmRv272FY[/youtube]

Plus a load of new pics here

DSC00733.jpg

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
That looks insanely in depth and beautiful. Oh Phantasialand how I love you so <3

I cannot wait to ride this next year...if it is open.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
That's some of the best rockwork I've seen. I need to haul my : dontswear: out to Germany.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Phantasialand <3 One of the few parks that make the effort of theming massive coasters in its entirety, rather than just the station and queue.

peep

CF Legend
Ha, yep. I saw a really nice image last night taken from the top of that swervey piece of track, it looks amazing.

There's also a Digital magazine with a nice article and they say there are more surprises on the way. #hypetrain

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I mentioned this to Peep the other day and realised I hadn't vocalised it here...

Don't get me wrong, this thing looks incredible, but it's my instinct to be overly critical. There is no such thing as perfect, greatness is about weighing up negatives. :p

The choice of rockwork inspiration here is... weird, imo. Ya know how we still use a floppy disk for a save icon? Well, that's the same reason all theme park rockwork kinda looks the same and not quite like it's real life counterparts aside from colour and general structure. It has to be easily read as a rock, as a natural formation, as something ancient or exotic - stereotypically so. And I'm not sure this is. Those kind of rock structures don't look real in real life, they're famous for that very reason. Just a little awkward imo.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
hexagonal rock structures can indeed be found in the real world, but as you said Joey, they are a rare sight. I've been to the Devil's Postpile in California, and I know Northern Ireland has a basalt formation of the same type:

giants-causeway-00.jpg

Taron does specifically resemble Devil's Postpile, with short stumps of hexagons and loger, swooping columns of rock:

Devils_Postpile-011.jpg

Certainly not a regular occurrence.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Indeed, it's clearly meant to be Devil's Postpile - I think that fits in with the dark mystery dragon they're tying the theme to.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Yeah, they're definitely trying to resemble some sort of basalt formation. They can be found everywhere around the globe in the vicinity of old volcanos. There's actually a place quite close to me with these dark grey/blackish hexagonal rock shapes!

I'm not 100% certain what the theme is yet, but maybe it has something to do with volcanos? Or it's simply just another way of making a rock formation... Love the look of it though <3

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Another picture which I don't think has been posted yet...

Taron-Schienen-Eingepackt-03.jpg

Really can't wait to see trains flying round that track! <3