What's new

Phantasialand | Chiapas | Water Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

fefa

Mega Poster
Re: Phantasialand | Chiapas?| "Water Ride"

Joey said:
I'm angry that my questions have been lost under this really menial argument.

I don't know how Phantasialand gets enough people visiting to make any money.

They have on avarage 2 million visitors each year and earn money through variaty shows outside of opening hours too.
The 2 hotels which are as stated before very expensive and often used for business trips/location may help too.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

That is not true. It never makes the Europe top 10 in attendance. Alton barely gets 2 million people.

My point is that, whilst somewhere like Alton, or even Europa, have higher gate figures... They don't push money into theming like Phantasia. How did Phantasia afford Black Mamba whilst the best Merlin could do was Swarm?

The answer can only be that Phantasia are simply taking less profit? Or perhaps, as Phil argued in another topic, the long term investment in quality pays off, because it encourages repeat visits because the existing attraction is so good, rather than a need to rely on new ones.

I heard once that if Disney do not build anything new, it would take 7 years for it to affect attendance. Can't remember the source for that, and whilst I think the Disney ip does most of the work, perhaps Europa, Efteling and Phantasia are evidence if the contrary.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

marc

CF Legend

Maybe they own the land and don't have to pay rent like the Merlin Parks do?

Maybe they don't have to pay out share holders like Disney and Merlin?

So anything they make is actually theirs to re invest?

nadroJ

CF Legend

Maybe they've got something like DLP going on where one of the shareholders just pumps a load of money into it because they've got nothing better to spend their money on XD

But I reckon you're onto something, Joey, in that they take less profit.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Phantasialand | Chiapas?|

Joey said:
That is not true. It never makes the Europe top 10 in attendance. Alton barely gets 2 million people.

Maybe - like Blackpool - they don't release official gate figures? So we'd never know the visitor numbers.

Although checking the visitor numbers for 2011 - they had 1,750,000 and came in 12th :p

Joey said:
My point is that, whilst somewhere like Appylton, or even Europa, have higher gate figures... They don't push money into theming like Phantasia. How did Phantasia afford Black Mamba whilst the best Merlin could do was Swarm?

The answer can only be that Phantasia are simply taking less profit? Or perhaps, as Phil argued in another topic, the long term investment in quality pays off, because it encourages repeat visits because the existing attraction is so good, rather than a need to rely on new ones.

Well obviously, they're doing the good long term view thing ;)

I can't find much on Phantasialand in terms of ownership. If it's a simple company/person set up with no investors/share holders, then they could reinvest their profits much more efficiently.

They don't need to skim profits to pay dividends, or to keep a high profit/bank balance to keep shareholders happy - they also don't have shareholders to go begging to to get every single penny approved.

That's conjecture though, does anybody know the business set up and ownership details?

Joey said:
I heard once that if Disney do not build anything new, it would take 7 years for it to affect attendance. Can't remember the source for that, and whilst I think the Disney ip does most of the work, perhaps Europa, Efteling and Phantasia are evidence if the contrary.

Definitely the quality over quantity factor ;) All three parks give a "Disney quality experience". That's why people return (or flock there in the first place), so yeah, proof you just need quality - though I doubt they'd manage 7 years without investment :lol: And Europa, Disney quality experience? Did I really just say that [/slaps self]

I think the answer is probably what fefa has been saying, that the park is making money outside of park hours too. You have the park as your "core attraction", but make the real money with shows, hotels, dining, etc. Without the stunning park, you are just another ents provider - with the park, you're a world class destination for business and pleasure.

How central to major German cities/towns is Phantasialand? Imagine if Alton Towers, with the hotel, conference centre and area for live shows was were Thorpe is? Or on the site of old Belle Vue in Manchester? They'd make a killing outside of park hours.

fefa

Mega Poster

Joey said:

My point is that, whilst somewhere like Alton, or even Europa, have higher gate figures... They don't push money into theming like Phantasia. How did Phantasia afford Black Mamba whilst the best Merlin could do was Swarm?

Ok since it's "not true" lets bring out the facts and sources:
http://wikimapia.org/15467/Phantasialand

A former well known acquaintance of mine, a german coaster enthusiast also happens to be a business manager of Phantasialand so without wanting to sound "mister-know-it-all-ish" I'm quite confident in the information I have.

Phantasialand owns the land of the park but leases the land of the parking space (which is larger than the park itself if you look it up on google maps) from a local farmer.

All other information I gave is facts found online, so who does not believe can feel free to google :)

Yet how the park manages to invest 15 million on a yearly basis - I do not have a clue.

Edit: Phantasialand is owned privately (just like Europa Park) founded by Gottlieb Löffelhardt who also founded Mirabilandia and owned that park until early 21st century. The current owner is Robert Loeffelhardt, Gottlieb's son who took over the park in 1998. I can imagine that by selling Mirabilandia Gottlieb will have received a good amount of money which is now being invested into Phantasialand.

Lofty

CF Legend

fefa said:
Ok since it's "not true" lets bring out the facts and sources:
http://wikimapia.org/15467/Phantasialand

A former well known acquaintance of mine, a german coaster enthusiast also happens to be a business manager of Phantasialand so without wanting to sound "mister-know-it-all-ish" I'm quite confident in the information I have.

Phantasialand owns the land of the park but leases the land of the parking space (which is larger than the park itself if you look it up on google maps) from a local farmer.

All other information I gave is facts found online, so who does not believe can feel free to google :)
Wow, you're right, every single source of information you've got is the epitaph of trustworthy and concrete.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Well.. In 2011 they DID have 1,750,000 visitors. Not 2 million, but they could have had that in 2012 (I didn't check).

And while not everything on the internet is true, a lot of stuff is :p

It does also help explain the ability to invest heavily :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Okay, if they are getting 2 million people a year, how the hell do they fit busy day gate figures of say 16k in those small streets? Physically, I fail to see how the park can hold a huge gate figure. Granted the almost year round opening helps, but...

fefa

Mega Poster

The park has got several events like Asia Nights that start from 7pm - a lot of day guests will have left the park by then and other guests only come for the Asia Nights meaning there'll be sort of 2 shifts of visitors during summer days. The park gets really packed on some days, not denying that. I havent visited the park since 2007 but used to visit it very often as we have family in Cologne but I remember some really crowded days there, even way before Black Mamba or even Wuze Town opened where even Hollywood Tour (which no one seems to know of as it's hidden by itself in the deepest corner of the park) had queues of up to 30min. I remember queuing 2 hours for Space Centre in 1994 - so since I remember the park has always gotten really packed on some days.

Who would have thought that tiny, tiny Legoland Windsor gets 2 million visitors being only open during summer season ..... so why can't Phantasialand all year around which at least has got really good capacity rides (Galaxy 3800 p/h, Silbermine 3700 p/h, Geister Rikscha 3600 p/h, Colorado Adventure 2300 p/h, Space Centre 1800 p/h, Winjas combined 2000 p/h, Hollywood Tour 2.400)?

peep

CF Legend

Yeah Phantasialand have rides with high capacity and they invest in quality attractions. It may look like a complicated mess but it's very well designed and crowds do tend to even out across the park.

The fact the park is in Bruhl which is a city that sits next to an even bigger city (Cologne) and with easy public transport options etc it has a very close and very large audience straight off. When I've spoken to people in Bruhl they all seemed to absolutely love the place. The park even has a day once a year where all school kids get to have the day off to visit the park for free. Maybe this is their secret? Invest into great environments people want to be in and keep the locals very happy which in turn will create multi-year visits etc.

The shows and special events must be a massive input into their success too.

There must be something we're still missing though because it does spend obscene amounts of money on a yearly basis. I love them <3

nadroJ

CF Legend

It's just colossal! Think this is the most excited I've ever been for a log flume haha XD

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

The construction pics are so confusing, but still I bet this'll end up being one of the best log flumes in the world! I love the effort that goes into all of Phantasialand's attractions, big or small.

fefa

Mega Poster

Jamesss said:
The construction pics are so confusing, but still I bet this'll end up being one of the best log flumes in the world! I love the effort that goes into all of Phantasialand's attractions, big or small.

I doubt that this layout or entire area will be any less confusing than the entire park :lol:

Just gotta love this park, they always manage to squeeze something into a tiny piece of land and make it look massive lol

fefa

Mega Poster

Screaming Coasters said:
The rocks on the pathway remind me of Disney, but the thing in its entirety looks so ghetto.

A bit premature to say during it's construction phase don't you think?

The reasons the rocks along the pathway look Disney and the rest doesn't is because not all rocks and scenery have been completely painted yet.....

fefa

Mega Poster

Found this stunning picture of phantasialand from air including the construction site.
Phantasialand_Br%C3%BChl.JPG

Oh btw. I saw in a different forum that they've started painting the temple today that "Screaming Coasters" has nothing to moan about lol ...

Status
Not open for further replies.