What's new

Paultons Park | Tornado Springs | New Area | 2021

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
Is it worth a 5-hour drive though?... For me personally it's a resounding no, simply because they aren't targeting my demographic very much (yet, although Cyclonator is a start). If I visit London and the south parks however, I will more than likely go the extra hour or so to Paulton's as well.

On its own, maybe it isn’t worth a 5 hour drive. But if you’re already in the South East it is worth the hour down the M3. Plus, although the rides may not be your demographic (which is most of us), there’s no getting away from the fact there are a fair few of them. For such a small park in terms of physical size, there are/will be 4 high quality themed areas, 6 rollercoasters and the park claim to have over 70 rides and attractions. I definitely rate Paultons higher than Chessington and I would say that’s a comparable park for target audience

Niles

Giga Poster
While I agree the coasters are not targeted towards us they are all pretty fun, due to the pig whenever I have gone the other areas only get busy-ish at the end of the day when the kids are dragged out of the pig land, meaning everything outside the land has been a station walk on which is so nice.

It’s also nice to go to a park where the staff are happy, it’s well themed, well maintained, has great natural areas, has good animal exhibits and cares about there history e.g keeping there train and working it into there new land and restoring there water wheel at the edge of the park.

I like to support a park that cares about the customer and itself, Paultons does this while other UK parks don’t give me this feeling.

I think it’s worth a trip for 6 creds, Dino and Cat are just ok but Pterosaur and velociraptor pull some fun positive gs. I’m sad to say after staying on Peterosaur 4 times I got light headed 😅 Cobra gives a good ride with some nice pops of air at the end and Storm chaser will be a pretty great mild thrill coaster if it’s anything like the one at knotts.

Throw in a London park for a little trip and I think Paultons is a easy must visit especially if you have never been, ill go to ride Storm chaser as soon as I can get a day off 😁

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
It's 3 1/2 for me (about 45 minutes more than Th*rpe or Chessie) but when you've not been to a pleasant park that isn't Alton/Blackpool since 2019, I'm quite prepared to make the trip. Missing a cred in Southsea as well, come to think of it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Living in Gloucestershire, I’m actually very conveniently placed for Paultons; according to Google Maps, it’s 1h 58m from where I live, which is actually one of my closest major theme parks!

Will

Strata Poster
^
My reaction was the same, but google is your friend :)

Apparently, it's the rotating sphere water feature thing at the main entrance :)

82961302_10156595263196603_7457621581724909568_o.jpg

Not to be confused with a Kegel ball, which is very different.

(This topic is getting very silly, suddenly!)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ain't nothing silly about kugel balls, dude, these are serious items. Indeed, shortly after fondling the one at Paultons for a good hour or so on the CF Live in 2016, Hixee jetted off to Virginia specifically to fondle the biggest kugel ball in the world.
Ain't that right, Hix? 😉

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ain't nothing silly about kugel balls, dude, these are serious items. Indeed, shortly after fondling the one at Paultons for a good hour or so on the CF Live in 2016, Hixee jetted off to Virginia specifically to fondle the biggest kugel ball in the world.
Ain't that right, Hix? 😉
I mean, something like that. It happens to be in between Fury and I305, and only a stone's throw from Alpengeist.

Can't say it was the main reason I went. Although wasn't not.

What I want to know is how on early you remember that? :p

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Can't say it was the main reason I went. Although wasn't not

Oh now come on, you know you went just for the kugel ball.

What I want to know is how on earth you remember that?

I see everything, I know everything, I remember everything. 😉

But seriously, I think that may have been the moment we met! 🥰
Admiring the UK's largest kugel ball at Paulton's.
"Where's the biggest one in the world, then?" we said.
<some quick Googling>
"Some museum in Virginia, apparently."
Next thing I know, Hixee's off to Virginia to fondle the big one.
Therefore in my mind, the name Hixee will forever be associated with kugel balls. That's how I remembered.

Last edited:
^
My reaction was the same, but google is your friend :)

Apparently, it's the rotating sphere water feature thing at the main entrance :)

82961302_10156595263196603_7457621581724909568_o.jpg

Not to be confused with a Kegel ball, which is very different.

(This topic is getting very silly, suddenly!)
My kids spent far too long playing with that when there were rides to do! They'll learn...

Will

Strata Poster
I'll be making the trip on my day off that week - I'll see if I can sweet-talk work into giving me the Monday, but if not will be later in the week :)

Will be first decent new cred since late 2019!

I also realised today that they had a Gyroswing (no idea how that's slipped under my radar) so that made me happy :)

EDIT: I'm there on the 12th :)

EDIT EDIT: I've just realised Storm Chaser will be my 500th steel coaster :)

Last edited:

Niles

Giga Poster
Coasters on the coast did a Q&A with Paulton's and it is an interesting read if you have the time.

Some of the points from the Q&A were:
  • Originally they considered a Wild west area taking up half the size, but due to the pig expansion and Little Africa they thought they should aim for a older audience with there next project, so they came up with the larger and more thrilling land of Tornado Springs.
  • Before they changed the theme to Tornado Springs they were considering a Woodie being built.
  • Depending on how the the Zamperla Discovery is received, it will have an influence on there future attractions possibly being more thrilling.
  • They have added more theming than the original project due to Covid making them push the date back.
  • The new unknown build will be part of Tornado Springs as a 2022 expansion, it will be a highly themed ride for younger guests.
  • After all that, the attention of future developments will go to the other side of the park for the next few years.
Quote from the park: The timescale has undoubtedly changed due to the pandemic, but our ambition and drive have not. Our mission is to be the best family day out in the UK and we certainly see adding new themed areas with fun, exciting, and unique rides being a big part of us reaching and maintaining this position.

I love their passion and while Covid has set them back they are still pushing and thinking of the future, nice to know a woodie was at least thought of, hopefully they will do one in the future. Also the next develop will be on the left side of the park and I wonder what they will come up with and I cannot wait to find out, keep it up Paulton's 😍

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
Interesting points there. Not that I need to say it, because I think we're all thinking it, but I do think Paulton's is the most promising park in the UK. Not just because they're adding to and expanding their offerings at pace, but because said offerings seem to have thought and genuine care/creativity behind them.

Not that Merlin doesn't have some fantastic minds in it's roster. I do imagine Paulton's though, whilst with a smaller budget perhaps, have many less obstacles to climb in terms of bringing ideas to reality without Varney's way of doing things, plus the shear volume investors to please.

Will

Strata Poster
Not nearly as much spinning as I was expecting judging by that video, but still looks great.

Bring on Monday morning! (I don't think I've EVER said that before...)