What's new

Paultons Park | Tornado Springs | New Area | 2021

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
From Zamperla's ride page:

"As well as the full, adrenaline pumping experience, the Discovery Revolution offers for a slightly less excessive ride can choose to try the ‘less extreme’ programme which swings and rotates but doesn’t include the full 360 degree element."

This would work very well at a "family" park. I've seen other flat rides offer different levels of intensity (different queue line or timing) and it seems to have worked well.

Lofty

CF Legend
Because then there's the option to operate it at full potential once the demographics of the park spread wide enough to include more thrill-seekers, meaning they do not need to buy another ride to fill this gap? It just opens more opportunities.

It could be related to cost, too? Who knows.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
If they don't want it to work then why don't they just get a regular Discovery?
You've massively missed the point. You have the OPTION of running it both ways, so you can keep it more family friendly while offering something more thrilling for those who are ready for it, perhaps by using two different queue lines and running in on alternate cycles, or, say one intense cycle for every three family-friendly cycles depending on queue length/demand for each option.

I've seen it done with a Zamperla Air Race to pretty good effect. There were two queue lines: one for the full, intense ride, and another with the cars swinging out to about half height, so not inverting.

I'm not saying that this is at all what IS happening, but I thought it was interesting to note the different operating modes if this does turn out to be a Zamperla model.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If you're Zamperla adding that option is a no-brainer really. Gives any potential customers so much flexibility with how to operate their ride - like the examples Gavin gave.

Sort of thing I could see Paultons doing, actually. They seem to be pretty switched on to these things.

At first I thought it would be a Gyro Swing but when the teaser came out, I thought more on the lines of a Midi Discovery. Now the only questions left to answer is...
Mack Spinner or Mack Xtreme Spinner (Family Version)?
Wave Runner rethemed or Raging River rethemed and relocated?
Is one of the drop towers a relocation of Magma?

Peet

Giga Poster
I think the "May 2020?" written on the cardboard is a hint at the opening date too.

The "300 km/h" is probably not the top speed for any of the rides though!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I love the way Paulton's are teasing this, I love the theme and I love the name Tornado Springs. Easily the most exciting development going on in the UK right now. If Paulton's have been bold and ordered a decent sized coaster as part of the package, then, well... who knows where it could lead?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"Class F5 Fujita" in the upper left refers to the biggest type of tornadoes. Funnily enough, wind speeds of 300 km/h is actually in Class F3, as F4 doesn't begin until 333 km/h and F5 starts from 419 onwards.

Niles

Giga Poster
I was also just looking at what that top left box was all about . Learnt about the fujita scale and found a squall is a

“a sudden violent gust of wind or localised storm, especially one bringing rain, snow, or sleet”

Can’t wait for Sunday ☺️

Ethan

Strata Poster
Everything about this marketing campaign is making me smile because it's Paultons and we all want them to succeed <3 Glad IMA Score will be seemingly involved though, can't go wrong with that!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I look forward to the info we will get on Sunday. I'd like to see more of the spinner, so we can tell if it will be a family or thrill coaster.