What's new

Paultons Park - Cobra & Edge have no planning permission

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
As we live in a democracy, I reckon that everyone should be allowed to vote as to whether these things get the planning permission or not.

I reckon the dozens of employees and their families and the people affected by unemployment if the park had to close would soon sign - compared to 5 nimbys voting against it :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Statement from the park:

The New Forest National Park Authority Planning Committee today has voted unanimously to approve Paultons Park’s application to regularise the land on which the Park stands as an Amusement Park in planning terms. This confirms Paultons Park’s status as a Theme Park.

There was also unanimous support for a new 9,000 sq ft building to house an indoor play area.

The Planning Application to regularise the site in planning terms that Cobra and Edge stands on was narrowly turned down by the Committee even though the application was recommended for approval by Officers. The Directors of Paultons Park are currently reviewing their options as to the next course of action.
Both the Cobra and Edge Rides will be open for the October Half Term.

So the good news is that Paultons is now an official theme park and can develop further with less hindrance. The Cobra/Edge dilemma remains.

Peter

Hyper Poster
It was just the top news article on BBC South Today and they did a live report from the park.

Apparently the only options for Paultons now is to appeal, and if that isn't successful then they'll be forced to take down the rides. I couldn't care about Edge, but I really don't want to see Cobra go - it would be a huge blow to Paultons too. :(

jokerman

Giga Poster
This has actually got me quite worried. If both have to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Paultons never recover.

And Ian, can you change your post at the top of the page. It's very misleading, and gives false hope.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
furie said:
As we live in a bureaucracy, I reckon that anybody should be able to stop any project, as long as they raise their voice enough.

Fixed.

Really, is it that bad over there? Endless red tape, votings, protests and everything else Dante described in his comedy? The rides were built, created jobs, drawed tourists, people didn't complain notably, then suddenly they are demanded to be taken down because the land isn't regulated for such things.

Only in Britain...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Oh this is horibble news, something like thic could easily kill the park.

Is there anything stopping them from taking the rides down then applying for planning permission for them to be re-built? But then I suppose they'd just get refused, or else they wouldn't need to take them down in the first place. Duh.

Dave

CF Legend
Thing I'd the rides are built semi permenant. They can be taken down in days, which kinda makes you wonder. I find it strange as you can't see or hear it unless you right inside the park, nearest village/tower is Ower and then it's not visible. I can't see who is voting against it?!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
28 days to remove the attractions if no appeal is filed?
:eek:

I'd say they'll file an appeal just to get more time, because that's rediculous.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I would guess that the people who are rejecting are fussy idiots who work for the Council, who are basically being childish, "because the park didn't do it properly, they cant have it at all".

Hopefully the park will fight this to the very end. I'm pretty sure they have all of our support.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
This is why I hate England. I hope they suffer the fact it will knock down on the local benifits. These are the type of people I'd like to see drop dead, ****ing killjoys. I bet they are all old, stuck up, bastards too. Its a struggle enough to find jobs nowadays, and they just killed a bunch more.

I think we should all strap ourselfs to the rides. (Shotgun the lifthill ;) ) OR they could just tell the council to **** right off. Thats what I would do.

Thats my useless post of the day done. :--D

Jake

Strata Poster
^ To be fair though, the park must have been aware that they were breaching these restrictions, and must have decided that it was worth taking the risk. So, to be honest, IF they have to close/remove one (or both) of these rides then nobody can really complain.

I agree that people complaining are pathetic, but as you pointed out, everybody knows the UK is petty when it comes to planning, so isn't that MORE of a reason to actually take such restrictions into account?

Meh, it IS just a glorified Wild Mouse anyway :p

Ollie

CF Legend
A-Kid said:
This is why I hate England. I hope they suffer the fact it will knock down on the local benifits. These are the type of people I'd like to see drop dead, ****ing killjoys. I bet they are all old, stuck up, bastards too. Its a struggle enough to find jobs nowadays, and they just killed a bunch more.

A-Kid said:
OR they could just tell the council to **** right off. Thats what I would do.
Would you really? I doubt it.
I understand your opinion but don't you ever think you sound harsh and gobby when you go around calling them "old, stuck up bastards" and hoping they drop dead. Yes it's annoying but that's hardly the attitude to take for any anything.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've just seen on the local news that today is the appeal hearing. The Planning Dept. and the Park are pushing for for a "yes, it's fine" vote. I just hope the council sees it that way.

Darren

Roller Poster
Apparently Cobra and The Edge have been granted retrospective planning permission. It's good news as they aren't going anywhere! :--D

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Well that's the biggy. A nice relieved sigh for Paultons there!

Surely if worse comes to worse with Edge they can relocate it? They have climbed the biggest mountain so it would seem?

Dave

CF Legend
Well Edge could easily be moved to the other side of the park. As its not as if its gonna change much in that area.