What's new

Parc Astérix | Toutatis | Intamin Launch Coaster | 2023

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars definitely does not stop on the lift hill before dropping backwards over the switch. (Unlike Everest) also, I'm sure the LIM/LSM are used as a redundant Fail-Safe.I'm sure if the ride detects the switch isn't in place before the train hit a certain point in the launch it goes into an automatic slow down or after the stall...it will stop like any other shuttle launch

But the switches on Grizzly work while the train is slowly going up a lift hill. This is using a rolling launch at what seems like 60 mph, and in the meantime the switch will have to do its job in a matter of seconds! I bet this is going to be the technical challenge of this coaster. I am really shocked to see something this scale landing at Parc Astérix.

It had been years since I had been THAT impressed by IAPPA announcements. The Belgian and French Intamins are going to make a lot of American (let alone British or European) enthusiasts book their tickets to come visit good ol' mainland Europe!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think it launches forwards up the first spike, and if the switch track hasn't fully switched by the time the coaster hits the backwards launch then the train will halt at the bottom of the valley.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Mate you live in England your bucket list should extend a bit further than Northern France!
It does though? But I actually almost went to Parc Asterix this year as my family can actually afford to go there, but we chose Europa instead.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Honestly this seems like a mix of many Intamin rides. Maverick, Soaring with Dragon, maybe even a little bit of Steel Dolphin at Ocean Park!

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
First off, this is amazing. [Ditto everything everyone else said]
Second, are we thinking that the launch is built on the airtime hills, Copperhead Strike style (since it’s not shown in the animation)?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yeah, this is the potential Achilles heel. Intamin is boldly attempting an on the fly switch. I can't think of a ride that switches without the train parked in a block brake. I can't imagine how many datums, sensors, and redundancies they're going to incorporate into this piece of hardware to ensure it's aligned. If this ride goes down for maintenance, it will almost certainly be caused by this switch track.

While there isn't a ride open yet the new Potter ride features the exact same technology for its switch system. While its certainly smaller in scale the time between passing the switch forwards and backwards again is probably similar.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
While there isn't a ride open yet the new Potter ride features the exact same technology for its switch system. While its certainly smaller in scale the time between passing the switch forwards and backwards again is probably similar.

Ah! I did not realize that portion of the ride was going to operate as such. I guess I anticipated a full stop and a show scene.

Regardless, it's brilliant!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Well damn wasn't expecting that. When they announced this saying they were inspired by Taron I thought this would simply be another amazing multi launch like Taron or Taiga. But this is ... something else. Looks insane. Shame we have to wait until 2021. :confused:

Also just thinking about it overall the next 3 years in Europe are seriously going to be exciting since we're getting:
Walibi Holland's RMC,
Linnanmäki's Intamin Multi-Launch,
Phantasialand's Multi-Launch new Vekoma flying coaster,
Gerstlauer Infinities in Bobbejaanland and Walibi Rhone Alpes,
Efteling's 2020 and 2021 coasters,
Energylandia's RMC (and whatever else they'll knock up in those years),
Europa Park's 2021 one of a kind major coaster,
Grona Lund's B&M Invert,
Walibi Belgium's Intamin Mega Coaster,
+ this Intamin launcher in Asterix.
And god knows what else is still to be announced. Got a lot of saving for trips to do :D

Last edited:

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
All good and well this coaster, but I got a bit of a feeling that it is like "Let's throw 30 special elements together and it will work out". I miss a bit of consistency in this coaster. I'm not sure if it's clear what I mean.
It will be an unique coaster with loads of different forces, but people already calling it the nr1 coaster in Europe (and even the world) is far too soon.
Maybe I'm a bit too sceptical ofcourse

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ok this is totally Maverick 2.0.
Exactly what I was thinking too! Even disregarding the colours, this coaster clearly reminds me of Maverick. Not only in execution, but also in spirit, if that makes sense. It is clearly a "a bit of everything" coaster in the same way as Maverick. It has a regular launch, moments of airtime, a beyond-vertical drop, a triple halfpipe launch, a few inversions and a vertical spike, but doesn't seem to promote any of it as its main feature. It's the whole package that counts, the collection of elements other coasters would feature as their sole gimmick. It combines stuff used before, there's really nothing in it we haven't seen elsewhere, but the way it's combined breaks a few conventions. I really have faith in this being a world-class ride.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Well **** me sideways.... how did I miss this POV?

This looks incredible. I don't know which one looks better (this or the Walibi one), but both have vast potential to be amazing. The launched airtime hills look absurd and there's so many quick low transitions... gonna be insane. I also like how this has an old school top hat thrown right in the middle. 2021 is gonna be a long wait... although I have no idea when I'd be in the area over there though.

It's really cool to see other manufactures take a crack at some RMC style elements. Intamin is clearly going all out here on these two new coasters with the funky banking and "cram as much airtime in as you can" thinking, but we're already seeing other companies like Premier and S&S try out some stalls and whatnot.

What a time to be alive.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Well damn wasn't expecting that. When they announced this saying they were inspired by Taron I thought this would simply be another amazing multi launch like Taron or Taiga. But this is ... something else. Looks insane. Shame we have to wait until 2021. :confused:

Also just thinking about it overall the next 3 years in Europe are seriously going to be exciting since we're getting:
Walibi Holland's RMC,
Linnanmäki's Intamin Multi-Launch,
Phantasialand's Multi-Launch new Vekoma flying coaster,
Gerstlauer Infinities in Bobbejaanland and Walibi Rhone Alpes,
Efteling's 2020 and 2021 coasters,
Energylandia's RMC (and whatever else they'll knock up in those years),
Europa Park's 2021 one of a kind major coaster,
Grona Lund's B&M Invert,
Walibi Belgium's Intamin Mega Coaster,
+ this Intamin launcher in Asterix.
And god knows what else is still to be announced. Got a lot of saving for trips to do :D

Don’t forget Walibi Belgium has another big coaster planned after they finished their 5 year plan...which is somewhere around 2024. During a Q&A, they said they wouldn’t say no to a RMC conversion of Loup-Garou...so that might be an option?

After the reveal of their Mega Coaster, you never know how they might surprise us again!