What's new

"Occasionally I doth venture south" - Thorpe Park & Chessington October 2021

James F

Hyper Poster
It's been over 4 years since I have been to our nations capital and in that time the world has changed; we've had two general elections, you can no longer get a last minute Christmas gift set at Debenhams and now you can literally get anything delivered to your home; none of these changes however were as impactful as the pandemic. It is now 2021 and like many of you on here it's been a while since I have gotten on any new credits, plans to go to Poland were botched and I couldn't move my work holidays (this is not to gain sympathy I know people went through pure hell recently)

I felt it was best to stick to the UK and with that in mind felt a trip to Thorpe Park and Chessington was in order. I had not been to Thorpe Park since 2016 (before DBGT opened) and I had never been to Chessington despite being curious about it for many years.

This won't be the most exciting trip report you'll read on here, but I hope you enjoy it anyhow.

Day 1: London (October 3rd)
20211003_161005.jpg20211003_160600.jpg
After a quick 2 hour train journey from Wigan, I had made it so a (mostly) sunny London. As I was getting the train from Waterloo station in the evening I felt that it made sense for me to walk from Euston and see some of the sights on the way. The first place I stopped was Leicester Square. I have gone to the M&M World on previous visits, but given the huge queue outside I gave it a miss, The new Bond film was playing and with the queues of people outside it looks like the film may actually make it's money back (imagine spending millions on a marketing campaign and then have it all go to nothing) I know this is unrelated, but I thought it was a solid entry into the Bond franchise (I have done a quick review on the 'now showing' thread)
20211003_163220.jpg
Looks great but It was just a bit out of my budget.
20211003_163621.jpg
The London Marathon was taking place, it was great to see so many people involved, the picture doesn't but it seemed every other person was taking part.
20211003_163719.jpg
20211003_163725.jpg
The views from Waterloo Bridge.
20211003_164533.jpg
Waterloo Bridge from Southbank.
20211003_165547.jpg
London isn't complete without Merlin's cash cow. (I did it back in 2007 and I have no plans to spend £30 to go on it again)

Day 2: Thorpe Park (Day one of two)
20211004_092544.jpg
Here's the main reason I came down to the south east. Following @jayjay's advice I walked it from my hotel in Chertsey which only took about 25 minutes and it was quick and stress free entry into the park.
20211004_093047.jpg 20211004_093050.jpg
I have always loved the entrance to Thorpe Park, while it might not have the majesty of Towers Street it does do a great job at hyping you up as you see the coasters on the horizon.
20211004_101723.jpg20211004_142203.jpg
I started my day off with Colossus. It's my least favourite of the big 5 coasters at Thorpe, but it often gets the biggest queues, got straight on and did a front row ride. As a tall person I find the Colossus trains to be horribly uncomfortable, in fact I was very close to having to do the dreaded 'walk of shame' I had to push pretty hard to get the OTSR to lock, I have put on some weight this year, but I know it isn't just me. I don't find the actual ride to be that rough and I like the layout, it's mainly the trains and restraints which mark it down for me, still a decent coaster overall.
20211004_102712.jpg20211004_102644.jpg
I was excited to get back on Saw as I hadn't been on it since 2013 as it was down during my last visit. I was pleasantly surprised by first ride in the back row, it was smoother than I remembered, however this was short lived as a re-ride later in the day at the front confirmed my fears that this ride had only gotten more painful, but it some ways it adds to the torture theme. I will still take it over Colossus though!
20211004_103206.jpg20211004_104410.jpg
Okay now it's time for the "good" coasters. Like almost everything else that day Inferno had a walk on queue so I got my initial rides in and yep, it's still a solid invert, it's gotten more intense (if slightly rattley) each time I go on it. I love the atmosphere this ride has as well, the music before you dispatch out of the volcano always makes this ride that bit more exciting.
20211004_104618.jpg 20211004_110716.jpg
Now we have my favourite at the park Stealth!, it's my second favourite coaster in the UK (after Icon) and my 10th favourite overall, It's very short, but it makes every second count. One of the best launches out there and there is some great airtime especially at the back as you come off the top hat. The best thing was that I didn't have to leave the station for re-rides they kept the gate open so you could just keep going on as many laps as you wanted! I did 4 before I came off for a break as the intensity was starting to give me a headache.
20211004_105508.jpg20211004_123939.jpg
I went for a ride on Detonator, I would say it's the 2nd best tower ride in the UK (after Apocalypse), it's forceful and the open feeling of the OTSR makes for some great airtime. It's my favourite flat at Thorpe for sure.
20211004_112133.jpg
I got some currywurst for lunch, while it tasted good I was disappointed that there was no bun considering I payed an extortionate £5 for it, plus I got curry stains on my jeans.
20211004_114455.jpg20211004_123222.jpg
I was really impressed at how good my rides on the Swarm were during my visit, I think I may have overlooked this ride because of it's short length, but similar to Stealth this ride does a lot in a short time period. Not to mention that it's still one of the smoothest coasters in the UK. The theming is top notch, Merlin really pulled the boat out here, I got plenty of rides in, I think I did 8 on the first day alone, also even though the park was quiet the ride ops were doing a great job with quick dispatches while the ride was running a two train service.
20211004_122459.jpg20211004_123229.jpg
New Credit unlocked! While I have been to Thorpe a few times, I had never ridden the flying fish, but I secretly wanted to. It was hard to convince any family or friends to ride on this coaster aimed at children, so now that I am on my own, what better time to bring shame to myself. It's was okay, it was a bit jerky actually, it is what it is.
20211004_133702.jpg
Considering I had nothing better to do, I went on Rumba Rapids, it was pretty lame.
20211004_165558.jpg
Despite not even filling a full row due to low crowds, Rush was running both sides, it's a great flat although it is a shame about the short cycle.
20211004_161126.jpg
I ended my day with a soaking ride on Tidal wave as I was wet from the rain anyway (plus I was staying on site) I love the early 60s Americana theme,
hearing those amity radio songs makes me feel like in Universal Studios Florida about to ride Jaws (R.I.P)

I hope you enjoyed part one of my trip report, part two will include the Thorpe Park Cabins, Black Mirror Labyrinth, DBGT and Chessington.

Last edited:

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
20211003_160600.jpg

The first place I stopped was Leicester Square. The new Bond film was playing and with the queues of people outside it looks like the film may actually make it's money back
Well, there's a coincidence! If this was early afternoon there's a chance I'm in this photo, drinking beer outside the Wetherspoons on the right (I was up town to see The Windsors with Harry Enfield).

Couldn't believe the size of those Bond queues!

James F

Hyper Poster
Well, there's a coincidence! If this was early afternoon there's a chance I'm in this photo, drinking beer outside the Wetherspoons on the right (I was up town to see The Windsors with Harry Enfield).

Couldn't believe the size of those Bond queues!
Damn, It's a small world. I was there about 3ish.

James F

Hyper Poster
Day Three: Thorpe Park

20211004_173041.jpg
Since I travelled a fairly long way I chose to treat myself to staying on-site at the Thorpe Park Cabins. This is a terrible photo, but you get the idea. I found it to be quite comfortable, but if you are travelling with more than two people I wouldn't recommend it. You can link your phone up to the TV if you want to watch Youtube or Netflix, of course you can just watch live TV. The room had plenty of facilities and the bed was bigger than I expected.

The first night was good, the only downside being the thermostat light not turning off, but I just put a pillow over it. The second night was another story though, they had a function going on about 50ft away from the cabins so you could hear all the loud music until past midnight, they didn't tell me that this event was happening and call me an old man, but the fact it went on past 11 when you have paying hotel guests trying to sleep next door is a bit out of order in my book.

20211004_110710.jpg20211004_103434.jpg
20211004_102647.jpg20211004_122307.jpg
As a hotel guest for the first hour of the day you get unlimited FastTrack from 10-11. The park was dead so this made no difference to me, but on a busier day this would be a great way to get some rides in! I did plenty of re-rides throughout the day, mostly on Stealth, The Swarm and Nemesis Inferno.

Black Mirror Labyrinth: Review
Despite all the pictures I took I forgot to get one of the latest attraction. 🥴

While it's no £20 million pound roller coaster, Black Mirror Labyrinth is perhaps the most immersive and impressive mirror maze I have done, so well done Thorpe Park, maybe you'll get a golden ticket award for "Best Mirror Maze", I did really enjoy this for what it was though. The theme is legitimately creepy and does a great job at capturing the feel of the series. I did get lost a few times and being there on my own, in complete darkness while a voice was screaming "you must get out! hurry! It did actually make me believe I was going to be trapped in there. There is plenty of effects in there from air cannons, strobe lights and projection mapping. It's a solid walkthrough attraction and I hope they keep it longer than just a few seasons unlike "I'm a celebrity"

20211005_142048.jpg
Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Review
I had just missed this ride during my visit in 2016 as it was delayed until later in the year. I heard a lot of very mixed things about this ride. Taylor from Coaster Studios raved about it, even going as far to putting it into his top 10 dark rides, on the other hand 'Expedition Theme Park' had claimed it was one the biggest disasters out there.

I knew a bit about the experience, but not everything and even though most of you have experienced DBGT I will keep this review spoiler free for those who haven't.

For this season Thorpe Park are only offering timed tickets to the ride, which makes sense considering that it still gathered a crowd despite the park being dead. The musical score for the ride is fittingly unsettling and mysterious and makes you anxious about what you are about to experience. The pre-show was really well done and even though it feels like your first day of A-Level psychology I like that it dares to be more thought provoking then most theme park rides. The second pre-show (if you can call it that) was a bit confusing but it wasn't long until I was boarded onto the underground tube train ready to begin the ride.

The VR was decent, but nothing mind blowing, but the sensation of the train moving felt very realistic and the video itself is suitably unnerving, then something happens that I won't spoil, but once you get to the latter half of the attraction is where things went wrong for me as my VR headset did nothing except show an empty tube train.

Overall I was still impressed by the whole experience, it's something different and while I would of preferred a new major coaster, Thorpe Park did need a dark ride and I think they have a good one in DBGT, they just spent way too much money.

20211005_183116.jpg

20211005_183056.jpg
Overall I have had a great two days at Thorpe Park and I hope it won't be another 5 years until I visit this place, maybe I am viewing it with rose tinted glasses because I don't go there often, but this park is actually really good and seems to get a lot of unnecessary hate, but for goodness sake put in a new coaster.

Day Four: Chessington World of Adventures

20211006_154246.jpg
Today I met up with fellow CF'er @FarleyFlavors, who had very kindly offered to give me a lift to Chessington. I was fairly excited to go as I never been there before. We got to the park about 9.45.
20211006_120947 (2).jpg
I was aiming to get the Gruffalo done first as it looked like a low capacity ride, that and I was embarrassed to ride it by myself, it was closed all day anyhow.
20211006_130609.jpg20211006_130612.jpg
New Credit Unlocked! We decided to give Vampire a go as it was a walk on. It was good fun and quite forceful during the tunnel section, we got about 3 or 4 rides in without having to leave the station, what makes the ride for me is it's location and design, the way to glides through the trees before swooping over the little village gives you a great perspective of what being a vampire bat would be like, Wardley at his finest.

20211006_102830.jpg 20211006_134546 (2).jpg
New Credit Unlocked! Dragon's Fury was crazy, while it's inconsistent from ride to ride, when you get a good ride on it this family coaster can be insane as me and @FarleyFlavors discovered on a back row ride. I think we got 4 rides in about 10 minutes. Definitely better than Spinball and is second only to Winjas when it comes to spinning coasters for me.
20211006_141220.jpg20211006_141255.jpg
Boo! Spited!
20211006_141243 (2).jpg
Double Spited! Scorpion Express was also down all day. On the bright side I would rather it be these two than Dragon's Fury and Vampire.
20211006_141126 (2).jpg
Next it was time to "Face the Drop" on the park newest ride "Croc Drop". It's brilliantly themed and it is the most dramatic family drop tower around, but don't expect any force or any thrill at all from this, it's great for it's intended audience, but I am glad I didn't have to wait 3 hours for it.
20211006_135357 (2).jpg
Now something that did impress me was "Tomb Blaster", not only does it have a well detailed queue line, but the ride itself is impressive. It's no Disney or Universal ride, but for a UK park this is an impressive dark ride, I am a big fan of duel at Alton Towers and I think this might top it as my favourite UK dark ride (excluding Valhalla). While it is admittedly dated I think the concept of the 'blasters' is better incorporated than it is on Duel and the big animatronics were a nice surprise.
20211006_131444.jpg 20211006_133306.jpg
20211006_131240 (2).jpg20211006_131602 (2).jpg
"Tiger Rock" didn't open until 13:00, so after getting a few re-rides on Vampire I made my way there. I thought the park did a great job with the re-theme and despite my reservations when it was announced I can say that the new theming looks great and the ride itself is a solid log flume, why have Merlin closed most of there Flume rides? a park doesn't feel complete without them.

20211006_133600.jpg 20211006_133641.jpg
The Tiger exhibit is a highlight of the park for me. Tigers are my favourite wild animals and the whole exhibit area is so well designed so that you can see the magnificent animals in all there beauty.
20211006_142247.jpg
I spent sometime in Sea Life Centre, it's a shame that there weren't any sharks, but they had stingray's at least.
20211006_145835.jpg20211006_145243 (2).jpg
Chessington's zoo might go underappreciated, but don't miss out on it if you have the time. It's a great zoo even if it's quite small.
20211006_154230.jpg
And that's it from Chessington and this trip report. I enjoyed Chessington, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the multiple ride closures. I was most impressed by the level of theming here, I would say it's the best "themed" park in the UK. I will be back here later in the month for CF Live.

Overall it's been a great four days and I have enjoyed visiting the parks as well as meeting FarleyFlavors. I should really go down south more often, but then again it is expensive and worst of all gravy barren. 😭

Last edited: