What's new

Oblivion

Do you think Oblivion at Alton Towers should be twice as high and twice as fast !!

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
Quote Walker - 'Its a good ride, plus if it was made taller, they might remove the hole, which is the main part of the ride.'

Well, obviously not as thats the whole point in the name, your diving into oblivion.

Yes, all dive machines are better taller and faster.. Take sheikra for example, thats the best dive coaster out there and its 200ft tall, but there are restrictions. So realistically, no.

Nick

Mega Poster
The most ridiculous thing about this topic is the amount of people moaning about it! and the number of times that alton towers height limit thing has been answered over and over.... Can't you use you're imagination! Of course a dive machine twice the height will be great! And I'm sure it would be possible too, the drop wouldn't be vertical for much of it, and would have a smoother transition back to level, I can't see how that's any more unrealistic to a launch at 125mph into a 400ft+ vertical tophat...

All you pessimists would fail at coaster designing cause nothing new would be created.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's because B&M track costs a lot more than Intamin track to erect - simple as. Imagine the strength of track and supports required to build a 400 foot dive machine.

It would cost many tens of millions of dollars, just for the lift hill and drop!

Part of coaster design is taking into account realistic costs. I'd love to see a 600 foot tall, launched B&M invert. There is no reason (technologically) why it couldn't be done. It's just that nobody in the world would invest $100 million in a single ride. You have to balance what is technologically possible with what is practical - THAT is what makes a good coaster designer, and it's what makes John Wardley just that little bit special (Nemesis, Oblivion and Vampire certainly on this exact front).

nadroJ

CF Legend
furie said:
It's just that nobody in the world would invest $100 million in a single ride.
Isn't that how much Expedition Everest cost? I know most of the money went on theming but still. [/pointless and argumentative post.]

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
^But expedition everest was built by vekoma which is considerably cheaper than B&M tracks.
Maybe furie means nobody would invest in a B&M worth that much?

Anyway, Disney would get that money back pretty quickly as its that popular.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It is a bit like saying "well Disney spent $20 million dollars on a boat ride" - yes, but it's Pirates of the Caribbean! :)

Disney produce an experience, the core of which is a ride. Pretty much what UC said :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Yeah, I know, I was just being pedantic =]

And lol at elmerfudd's post, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Love it.