What's new

Oblivion

Do you think Oblivion at Alton Towers should be twice as high and twice as fast !!

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NASHER

Roller Poster
Oblivion Couldn't be made twice as fast because of terminal velocity.
Acording to RCDB, oblivion's drop is 180FT, and the ride hits 68 MPH.
If it wasn't for the hole thats one bloody high, bloody fast ride (around 20ft shorter than stealth and 20MPH slower - but it doesn't feel it because of the hole)
Oblivions quite fast and high enough as it is.

Swat

Hyper Poster
If they doubled the drop just think of the other side the over banked and the hill before the break run.

trav

Mega Poster
Swat said:
If they doubled the drop just think of the other side the over banked and the hill before the break run.

I doubt it'd be much different, because it'd still have to travel up a hill twice the height of the one at the moment to get to it.

EDIT* Unless they mean doubling the height above the ground. Which wouldn't be possible.

A

Anonymous

If you double the height then you won't double the speed.

Proof:
GCI-Intern "Supermanfan" said:
The conversion from potential to kinetic energy is not linear, so twice the height will not yield twice the speed:

mgh => 0.5mv²
(potential => kinetic)

For an example, if h = 1 m:
9.81 = 0.5v² -> v=4.43 m/s

Doubling the height:
19.62 = 0.5v² -> v=6.26 m/s

There is also friction and other energy losses, but this conversion is the primary reason.
From the topic: "Physicd question about speed" pn TPR

danielmopgs

Roller Poster
It's daunting enough for first time riders of the general public as it is now and it also gives an awesome ride so there's no need to double it in height and speed.

Oblivion is great as it is!

Swat

Hyper Poster
Oblivion is completely fine as it is, Its still thrilling and still makes me get nervous. Aint that part of the fun?

nemesisnutter

Roller Poster
This is an odd forum, but it would not be posible to make it double the size because of the rules regarding how high the rides are alowed to be i think it is that they can't go heigher than the tree line thats why most of the drop on oblivion is underground. Two it would not be the same and the size it is now is just right. If they where going to make any changes to it they should make it floorless. I dont think the tunnel would be able to accomodate stand up cars.

Kebab

Giga Poster
nemesisnutter said:
This is an odd forum, but it would not be posible to make it double the size because of the rules regarding how high the rides are alowed to be i think it is that they can't go heigher than the tree line thats why most of the drop on oblivion is underground. Two it would not be the same and the size it is now is just right. If they where going to make any changes to it they should make it floorless. I dont think the tunnel would be able to accomodate stand up cars.

Another thing that would be cool to see is the amount of cars per train increased to three. Make it floorless, and the back car reversed; a small change will mean a lot to those who want to experience it. It would probably be way too intense and uncomfortable, thats a good thing though right :p

wheelhs1

Roller Poster
No

It will be too boring up the hill
They wont be able to biuld it
And it will kiillll

But i like you thinking :) :p

Kebab

Giga Poster
^Going up the lift hill isn't meant to be fun (Pepsi Max for example); besides it takes several seconds on Oblivion, it wouldn't actually matter.

It is possible to build; but will be expensive due to the alterations of the station etc.

Many rides have reverse and it doesn't kill; Indiana Jones and twin looper did, Irn bru does now. Like I said though it will be too intense to ride; due to the height of the drop and angle.

It would be hilarious to ride though :p

EDIT: Sorry I thought you was quoting my post; but for the record here is what will happen if the trains were floorless and reversed. :lol:

A

Anonymous

I like your thinking, (about the double height and speed) but in all honesty no it shouldn't, it's good enough as it stands, and besides, as mentioned earlier, it would most definitely, KILL YOU!
:)

Slash

Giga Poster
Sam said:
threadfailurecc4.png

Is it just me who thought that was the best thing to come from this thread. I mean ROFLMAO, seriously.

Oh yeah and that would mean the drop would be nearly 400 feet tall and somehow, I don't think so. Plus the hole would have to be bigger to change the drop because the g forces would kill a person if the ride was just extended.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Oblivion's perfect as it is, it's only 20 foot or so smaller than it's American cousins, so it doesn't need to be taller, also it pulls 4.5g's at the bottom, which is exactly half way to the maximum a human can endure, so any more height and speed and people will start getting injured.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
slash1994 said:
Is it just me who thought that was the best thing to come from this thread. I mean ROFLMAO, seriously.

Really? You were seriously "rolling on the floor laughing your ass off?" Really?

Get out more.

And that was the single most pointless bump of a topic we've had in a long time, especially considering what a crap topic it was to begin with.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Yeah, if it could be done without exerting any more forces, permission and space, I wouldn't mind it, no.

If it could be done, with those factors and other obvious ones why should anyone mind it?

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
The Grape Wizard said:
Twice as high!? do you know about the restrictions...

The question was do you think it would be better, I think some people are answering a different question in this thread :wink: