What's new

Oblivion

Do you think Oblivion at Alton Towers should be twice as high and twice as fast !!

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Hi i am Adam Tucker : RollercoasterAdam and I have just joined because i am rollercoaster Mad !!Email me on Adam@tuckerhousehold.co.uk
Rolercoasters do you think they are high enough or scary enough !!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Um, welcome to CF but you're going to have to put a little more thought into your posts.

Height and speed do not necessarily make a roller coaster any good.

Take for example Nemesis and Maverick. Both are low-lying coasters yet are fantastic rides.

It's not always about having a scary ride; it's about having a good riding experience.

For the sake of this poll, Ovlivion is good as it is. Yes, it would be great if it was twice as fast and high.

Sam

Giga Poster
threadfailurecc4.png

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Twice as tall... well, would be interesting. But I'd love to see it only ten meters taller (or not at all), and put the rest of it in depth. It would have seemed to take forever to get back to the surface.

No; it couldn't be taller anyway due to the height restrictions, so you will have to make due with what you have!

If there weren't any height restrictions, sure. When it comes to a dive machine, more height and more speed can never be a bad thing. I would still like them to keep the hole, as that seems to be one of the main draws to the coaster, but to be honest it seems like a good ride as is.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I would keep it as it is. Making it taller would only make it longer for it to bloody get to the top, and the dont release another train till the others at the top

(poor excuse i know, but im not a big enough fan of oblivion)

Kebab

Giga Poster
1. If it was taller; complaints ahoy!
2. It will be stupidly intense at 140 mph.
3. Hi :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Alton aren't allowed to built above tree hight anyway.
Like Ian said:
Height and speed do not necessarily make a roller coaster any good.
Having Oblivion hidden so the only time you can see it is when you walk round the corner into X-Sector is great. It makes the ride more unique and it raises the tension and thrills of the ride being close to the ground.

So no, it shouldn't. :p

walker1104

Mega Poster
No, I think Oblivion is fine as it is. Its a good ride, plus if it was made taller, they might remove the hole, which is the main part of the ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^And noobs who stand on their toes when loading will get to know 4.5 G better. I can imagine a bunch of chavs walking away from Oblivion with their faces in pain, holding where their balls used to be.

Oblivion is too strong to convert to stand-up.

A

Anonymous

Double the height would increase the speed anyway, but yeah would be cool :--D Although it's still a ****ing awesome ride 180 odd ft plummet into the ground! :--D

For the record: Pokemon is gay and sad.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
For the record: Bashing others because of what they like, while yourself know next to absolutely nothing about it, is plain sad. I feel sorry for you.

Oblivion is what I'd call a perfectly composed coaster. It is fast, no need to make it faster, the hole is pitch black anyway. It could have gone faster, but it is fast enough to achieve the desired effect anyways. More speed wouldn't have added anything to the atmosphere.

There is no need to make it taller. The entire focus of the ride is on the hole, anything before that is plain filler. But it is tall enough to make people see that it is fast. And steep. And it is tall enough to make that "fall into the black hole" feeling.

And a nice themed area around it really completes the ride.

A

Anonymous

I think its perfect as it is as others have said its done to the most that alton could do with in there restrictions. Standing would look cool but would be abit to much for some.

Ollie

CF Legend
I like Oblivion how it is. It does what it's meant to do and focuses the ride around disappearing into a hole and creates dread for new riders. It's the focal point of X-Sector and one of the top coasters in the park.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Its fine as it is.

It can't go any higher. It sticks out above the trees as it is now.

It goes fast enough. Speed isn't everything.

Sort out the Black hole tent before even thinking about changing blivvy.

A

Anonymous

Actually nah, I think it would be quite stupid, as it is the perfect height and speed as it is, from the height it is it also gives you the perfect underground duration time, and when you're hung over the edge, the whole is the right distance from the riders. If that made any sense at all.