What's new

"Now Showing"

nadroJ

CF Legend
21 and Over

I'm all for a good, generic 'funny' movie, but this took **** ages for anything funny to happen. Loads of set up. LOADS. Like, a good 45 minutes worth. One of the lead dudes sounded EXACTLY like Jonah Hill which was irritating because he just came off as desperate. It did eventually get a few laughs (Sorority revenge scene was fab) but all in all one of those films I can imagine people will put on in the background at sleepovers in the future. Meh.

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
Don't think I said anything about it yet, which is shocking as it is my favourite film of this year...

Les Miserables

This was STUNNING, from the opening scene, to the closing scene. The singing was amazing (aside from Russell Crow, who was USELESS). And the singing was all live, apart from the opening scene. The performances from everyone were incredible, and Anne Hathaway was just beautiful, her singing was perfect and her acting put across the immense pain of Fantine. Hugh Jackman was wonderful as Jean Valjean and I really liked the character. Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were hilarious as the landlord and lady. Master Of The House is a brilliantly funny song. The only issue I have with this film is its length, at the cinema, a two and a half hour long film, plus half an hour's trailers is a LONG time.

A really sad film, perfect for anyone who wants good music and a good cry. (Yes, I did cry for pretty much the duration of the film, yes, nearly two hours.)

9.5/10

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Some more movies I've seen recently for the first time:

28 Weeks Later

Not quite as intense as its predecessor but still very entertaining.

Wreck-It Ralph

Slick animation, great voice cast, nice story. Fun movie.

The Deer Hunter

Maybe a little longer & more drawn out than it needed to be, but it still lived up to my expectations for it as one of the classic Vietnam movies.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Iron Man 3

I actually prefer this to the Avengers. A fun comic book movie. I kind of liked what they did to the villain but leaving the theater I hated it more because in the trailer he looked AWESOME! I must say that I did hate the ending in general. I pissed me off. I would see it but probably a 7/10 at very best.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Because it is Mother's Day, I am going to review a movie that someone on this site likes...

Mommie Dearest

I think that this is truly the only film that is TRULY so bad it's good. I don't mean so bad it is funny or entertaining like The Room or Troll 2 but actually becomes a good movie in terms of quality. First things first, the acting is awful from everyone! The kid (both ages) is some of the worst acting I've seen. Faye Dunaway overacts the entire film. She is almost like a monster out of a horror film. She is almost too happy when she is smiling and charming, and far too loud and angry when she is furious at her child. The film is terrible, but it is good. It is so over the top and loud. It becomes terrifying in a way. When Joan is furious at the child, it is true terror. It is terrifying truly. I don't get very scared, but this film did scare me. Joan is a pipe bomb waiting to go off so you are on edge the whole film. Faye Dunaway's overacting does make the film worth watching. It comes off wanting to be a drama, but if viewed as a TRUE horror story, it is better. It is bad, no doubt. It is a guilty pleasure like The Room or Troll 2, but in a different way. It actually turns into a good film to watch... as long as Faye Dunaway is on screen.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

Wasn't really into it at first & felt like watching more of an action movie tonight, but this one kind of drew me in as it went along, and by the end I was kind of surprised at how much I liked it. For a fairly old movie, it's actually kind of impressive in its scope and cinematography.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Edward M said:
Because it is Mother's Day, I am going to review a movie that someone on this site likes...

Mommie Dearest

I think that this is truly the only film that is TRULY so bad it's good. I don't mean so bad it is funny or entertaining like The Room or Troll 2 but actually becomes a good movie in terms of quality. First things first, the acting is awful from everyone! The kid (both ages) is some of the worst acting I've seen. Faye Dunaway overacts the entire film. She is almost like a monster out of a horror film. She is almost too happy when she is smiling and charming, and far too loud and angry when she is furious at her child. The film is terrible, but it is good. It is so over the top and loud. It becomes terrifying in a way. When Joan is furious at the child, it is true terror. It is terrifying truly. I don't get very scared, but this film did scare me. Joan is a pipe bomb waiting to go off so you are on edge the whole film. Faye Dunaway's overacting does make the film worth watching. It comes off wanting to be a drama, but if viewed as a TRUE horror story, it is better. It is bad, no doubt. It is a guilty pleasure like The Room or Troll 2, but in a different way. It actually turns into a good film to watch... as long as Faye Dunaway is on screen.

Mommie Dearest is one of the best ever films in the history of the world! It's probably my second favourite film of all time. It's just amazing.

Tinaaaaaaaaa!!! Bring me the axe!

peep

CF Legend
I saw two films earlier on. First was 21 and over

It felt like a bad copy of the Hangover but without the funny. Granted there were a few chuckles here and there but overall it felt too forced to be as good as the Hangover. Oh and one of the main characters just slurs out racial comments the whole time, it felt weird and awkward - I think they were aiming for funny, they missed.

Bernie

I really loved this little film, the fact that they mix in interviews with the real townspeople that knew the real guy was a really nice touch. Such an odd little story but executed in a unique way, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I watched Cool Hand Luke the other weekend in a "it's appeared on Lovefilm, it's Friday night, I'm bored so will watch an obscur(ish) film from the top whatever lists and see what all the fuss is about" way.

Paul Newman is fantastic, but I think he's a great actor so no surprise there :lol:

It's the tale of a drunk ex-soldier hero who is struggling to come to terms with something (it never really says). So the film starts with him using some kind of cutting tool to take the heads off parking meters while really drunk.

He ends up sent to a work gang for his punishment for a couple of years of hard labour.

Essentially, it's the film that spawned Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption. You have the new guy who is intelligent and "cool" (that will be cool hand Luke then) who becomes best friends with "the guy" you need to know. Okay, it's actually really different, but you can see where the idea spawned in Stephen King's head.

The story is "bitter/sweet", constantly battering you down with the work crew, then showing the odd moments of joy they can clamour for themselves where they can grab it.

Don't expect the uplifting Shawshank though, this is a dark tale with lightness thrown in to stop you slitting your wrists and it gets constantly darker as the film progresses.

It's not a great film though. I can imagine at the time it made a huge impact, and it certainly has some very memorable scenes (I'll never eat another egg again ;) ). The characters never seem to fully develop though, they don't have any obvious personality or motivation - they often just act randomly to fit the story, rather than having consistency. Maybe that's part of trying to show how such an environment can send a man mad and unstable though.

If you like Paul Newman, prison dramas or influential films of the sixties - it's well worth a watch, but I suspect most people would find it a little slow and tedious. No explosions, no tits or arse, requires concentration etc, etc, etc ;)

Solid 8/10

Edward M

Strata Poster
peep said:
Bernie

I really loved this little film, the fact that they mix in interviews with the real townspeople that knew the real guy was a really nice touch. Such an odd little story but executed in a unique way, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved that movie! Jack Black was great (never thought I would say that).

tks

Strata Poster
Stark Trek Into Darkness

Rare that I go the cinema to watch a new film, but this was too good to miss. (I live 5 minutes walk from an IMAX 3D cinema :D)

I'll just start off by saying I LOVED THIS FILM. So much. The reboot in 2009 was fantastic and this carries on that same style of retro but modern and it's brilliant. The 3D is a tad unnecessary in parts but this is the first 3D film since Avatar that really uses it to enhance the film rather than just add in gimmicky ****.

Good mix between comic and some really really dark action scenes..
the skull crushing sent a shiver down my spine!

Benedict Cumberbatch is fab <333333 incredibly convincing as the lone-villain. Oh and Sulu is just bad-ass :D

One last note...

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!

Edward M

Strata Poster
The Great Gatsby

I was excited to see Leonardo portray Gatsby as I am a fan of his. I was unbelievably disappointed with the performance. It was very wooden and underacted. It got on my nerves as I knew it could be much better. I believe it was the director's fault. He seemed to direct his actors in a certain way that irritated me. It was the worst editing I have ever seen in a film! It was non-stop editing, which is very irritating. The music was a terrible choice as Jay-Z doesn't fit into the story well. Tobey Maguire is his usual bug-eyed self with the same expression in each scene. He is a very bad actor in my opinion. I hated most of all that the film wanted to be too many things: Modern, Dramatic, Romantic, Artsy, Sad, Poetic, and worst of all, Epic. It comes off as a confused blob of a film that doesn't work. Everything is below average which annoys me as I know how good it could be.

If you really want to see the story of The Great Gatsby in film, see the Robert Redford version. It tells the story the way it is meant to be told.

Homer

Hyper Poster
Iron Man 3
It was alright, but I think the first one is still the best one. Relied a little too much off humor for it's script, the action scenes are better than 2's, and I had nitpicks about Mandarin's portrayal. Then again, this is a separate universe and not the "comic book universe," so it'd be pointless bickering. But I found it enjoyable.

Tucker and Dale Meet Evil
Probably the best dark comedy movie ever made. The film is easily Netflix's best hidden gem and pokes fun at countless "teens spend the night in the woods and get murdered" movies. It was great until the second half, when unfortunately the film kinda turns into what it's parodying (you kinda have to watch it to get what I'm saying). But it's a must watch if you have a Netflix account.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Star Trek Into Darkness

I am a HUGE 2009 Star Trek fan! I loved that so much, and it has a deep place in my heart for being one of the best films I've seen so I was excited to see Into Darkness! It was not nearly as good as the first but still by far the best movie of the year so far. It is really the only film I would HIGHLY suggest for anyone to see in the theater right now. It felt more action filmish than the first which isn't a bad thing at all. It just isn't very deep with the characters compared to the first, but I would still go back into the theater happily. The villain is as awesome as you've heard, certainly an improvement upon the first one there. It was much funnier than expected (especially by Scotty <3), but I didn't get the whole Into Darkness part. It doesn't fit the movie. Anyway, the best part of the film is in a spoiler below:

CAN YOU BELIEVE HE WAS KAHN!!! Without a doubt, my favorite part of the movie was after he revealed he was evil and cracked that guy's head open.

Ben

CF Legend
Edward M said:
CAN YOU BELIEVE HE WAS KAHN!!! Without a doubt, my favorite part of the movie was after he revealed he was evil and cracked that guy's head open.

Yes. Yes I can. Since it was obvious from the outset, and I don't even know anything about Star Trek.

I saw it last night, and it was alright. Not a patch on the first one, which was awesome. I just felt that

The whole thing about the evil Admiral just took focus off Khan. Why not just introduce him, catch him, have him do evil stuff, defeat him. It was a rubbish "twist" to the story and didn't add anything, it just made Khan secondary for a chunk of the film, so that by the time he came back, I was like, oh yeah, he exists.

And then...

I'm so bored of films that introduce something that can randomly revive you for no reason, then kill someone important, and expect us not to figure out they'll be fine. Dark Knight Rises did it with the auto pilot, Iron Man 3 did it, now this. Stop it <//3

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ yeah, it doesn't even touch Star Trek (2009).

Like The Dark Knight Rises, I'm not going to hate it for not being nearly as good as its predecessor. It is still a good film.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Gatsby

Meh. Hated the music, HATED THE MUSIC! Just so awful and detracted from the movie. Also how is Tobey McGuaire still in movies? Everything he says is just painful. Other than that, it was mediocre at best. Still have no clue why they pushed it back from Christmas, 3D would have added zero.

Seeing Star Trek and Hangover 3 this week though, hopefully one isn't awful.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
The whole thing about the evil Admiral just took focus off Khan. Why not just introduce him, catch him, have him do evil stuff, defeat him. It was a rubbish "twist" to the story and didn't add anything, it just made Khan secondary for a chunk of the film, so that by the time he came back, I was like, oh yeah, he exists.

And then...

I'm so bored of films that introduce something that can randomly revive you for no reason, then kill someone important, and expect us not to figure out they'll be fine. Dark Knight Rises did it with the auto pilot, Iron Man 3 did it, now this. Stop it <//3

Agreed and agreed. It meant there wasn't as much "good stuff" and that the sense of danger is just pointless now. Have some balls and do things properly, or just don't do it. Though it made sense in the original Star Trek world.

I loved the film. Almost a leave your brain at the door and just watch the pretty action happen, but with just enough to engage you. I preferred it to the 2009 one, none of that arsing about introducing characters bollocks. Benedict Cummerbund was criminally underused though.

I love the way that the film constantly referenced both the original series and the first few films. The Star Trek universe is all in there, only now it's good!

What they need to do though is get J.J. to take the entire thing back to the small screen for a couple of series. They could do something incredible, whereas every film from now on will just offer diminishing returns and "it was okay, but not as good as the last one".