What's new

"Now Showing"

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ I also haven't found the appeal of the Iron Man films. I also find The Avengers wildly overrated. Everyone was talking about how good it was. I saw it and saw a meh popcorn film 5/10. Everybody was comparing TDKR to Avengers and I thought to myself, is there any competition Dark Knight wins! It had an actually threatening villain and something called characters. The film wasn't all action which made it even better when the action came. It is like comparing Marlon Brando to Adam Sandler. Sometimes Sandler is funny but he usually fails. Marlon always comes out with an amazing performance, just like Nolan always has a great story and visuals in his films.

Really, name one bad film made by Christopher Nolan?

Ben

CF Legend
Avengers is awesome.

The Dark Knight trilogy is obviously the best set of comic book movies ever, but Avengers is just a different kettle of slightly less tasty fish.

You can enjoy both though, it is possible.

Iron Man 1-2 are only 'OK' though, but 3 was fab.

marc

CF Legend
Re: "Now Showing"

Yeah think your right Ben.

As said I did enjoy avengers until near the end. Iron Man was ok just not as good as many said, it's watchable but not as good as some other comic book films.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I never really got the "massive love" for the first two Iron Man films - I think they're fine. They are just popcorn flicks though. There's nothing special about them, but they're not dreadful either, just a bit of fun.

The Avengers is pretty much the same to be honest. It's just "fun".

Iron Man 3 (watched it last night) is definitely the best of the three, but it's not really anything more than the first two offered, it just offers it better. Ending was obvious, trite and awful though.

They're all fine for what they are - simple comic book action films that pass a couple of hours simply. I like the way they acknowledge each other, link in and everything; but yeah, they're just action films for kids and big kids.

marc

CF Legend

What bugged me was its called Iron Man, but anyone can put that suit on and be just as good as him with no practise or training. So not really sure how he is a super hero.

marc

CF Legend

^Yeah I know but they don't just put anyone in the suit in the films. I know what I am trying to say but not sure how to lol. There's only one batman at any one time but there is not just one Iron Man.

Saw Thor last night, sort of reminded me of Super Girl and He-Man.

Was an ok film. Lots of action but it just did not grip me.

Think the problem with all the 1st ones is they have to cover the back story, so the 2nd ones are normally better.

I will not try and watch the Hulk again though. Both were poor films that got switched off.

Think I am more of a DC fan tbh.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ditto with Thor :lol: It's, again, a perfectly fine film. It's just not outstanding. I've watched them all with MMF now and he thinks pretty much the same thing. They've got lots of action and interesting characters, but, they just "alright". The second Hulk film was better (Ed Norton <3 ), but still piss poor, but I think The Hulk is anyway.

You're right about building the back story, but look at how fab Batman Begins was :) That's not DC or Marvel, it's just "writing a super hero action blockbuster" or "making a good film that happens to have a super hero in it". MMF won't sit through the Batman films - they're too dark and adult for him to understand. I think that says it all :)

I know what you're trynig to get at with Iron Man. I think the idea is that it's not about "Iron Man", but actually about Tony Stark. It comes out a little more in the third one as there's huge swathes of it where it's similar to the start of the first one. It's all about Stark and his genius and not about the suits he creates. They're just kind of the Batman gadgets, and Stark is Batman. Does that make sense?

Not saying I'm massively keen on it, I think Iron Man is one of the weakest Marvel heroes, but that's how I see it.

marc

CF Legend

Yeah that makes sense, but Batman does it to help people where are Stark it's for and ego boost, well that's how it comes across anyway.

They are all fun films, just the dc ones I can watch again and again even the old Superman films.

peep

CF Legend
I don't like all this Marvel disliking...

Iron Man 3

I loved it, I thought the action scenes were exciting and there was a lot of humour. The cast were absolutely perfect too <3

Olympus has fallen

This was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, just a good fun action flick. Maybe a little too predictable but still an enjoyable watch. I think it just looked impressive too, I'm assuming they just rebuilt a replica at a studio of the White House because if it is CGI in some places it looks very convincing.

Oblivion

Loved it, it just looks beautiful. I thought it flowed quite nicely apart from the end which was a little rushed. The soundtrack was amazing too, very Tron. :p

I keep thinking about Superhero films at the moment and how apart from Batman I've not liked any of the DC movies. The new superman trailer makes it look a lot better than the first trailer they released but I'm still not convinced I'll like it, I've just never liked the character. I keep thinking back to the Dark Knight trilogy too and I'm starting to loathe Begins and Rises (I was never a massive fan of Rises anyway), I just think they're awful on repeat viewing. I think TDK is still good but no where near as good compared to the first few times I saw it. This isn't just for Dark Knight though, I find that all Nolan films are awful on repeat viewings. Shame.

Another point of discussion is that there seems to be a growing trend of London being the centre of attention. Star Trek 2, Thor 2, Fast and Furious 6 and there are more. It's probably where film-makers are getting bored of blowing New York and LA up. Thoughts?

marc

CF Legend

It's not Marvel disliking, it's just my views on the films. People were having a go at me on fb for not loving the films.

Rises was not as good as the other 2 that's for sure, but was still better than Iron Man or Thor. It's just personal preference and for me the Marvel ones are far to Disney family friendly. Make them for the family sell the toys, I prefer darker stories. I just cannot connect with the Marvel ones I've seen, there not bad films there just to old school super hero movies for me.

With the Batmans I can watch them all again, with Iron Man and Thor I will probably never watch them again.

I will see Iron Man 3 when on Sky, not paying for it.

Spider Man was really good though, seen that about 3 times now yet no one seems to rate it lol.

Looking forward to Star Trek 2.

Tbh I think it's good they are moving away from the USA as its been done so many times now.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Fast and Furious serious needs to go the **** away already. It's just awful on every level, and another one will be out next year. Just garbage.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Rewatching the Jurassic Park trilogy, and I'm amazed at how good it is visually for being 15 years old. The dinos look awesome. Everything else is kinda crap, but still great to watch.

Edward M

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
Fast and Furious serious needs to go the **** away already. It's just awful on every level, and another one will be out next year. Just garbage.

Gay garbage. Watch one. It is 50% Car Chases 50% Gay Tension but 100% Pure S**t

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I just watched Meet the Parents & rather enjoyed it. I seem to be a big fan of awkward situational humor, which is the meat of most of this movie's jokes. And maybe I'm getting old, but I actually enjoyed the sentimental bits as well. Add in a great-as-usual performance from one of my all-time favorites in Robert De Niro, and you've got some quality entertainment.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
I don't like all this Marvel disliking...

Yeah, as Marc says, it's not disliking, it's just not OMG IT'S SO FANTASTICing it ;)

I've enjoyed all of the films to a degree (even Captain America and the second Hulk), but they've never really got me engaged in any way. If they were a meal, they'd be a Wetherspoons. Chock full of everything you want, in-elegant, tasty enough but there's something that's just not a real restaurant meal experience. Fills a hole for a good price :lol:

peep said:
I keep thinking about Superhero films at the moment and how apart from Batman I've not liked any of the DC movies. The new superman trailer makes it look a lot better than the first trailer they released but I'm still not convinced I'll like it, I've just never liked the character. I keep thinking back to the Dark Knight trilogy too and I'm starting to loathe Begins and Rises (I was never a massive fan of Rises anyway), I just think they're awful on repeat viewing. I think TDK is still good but no where near as good compared to the first few times I saw it. This isn't just for Dark Knight though, I find that all Nolan films are awful on repeat viewings. Shame.

I agree actually, kind of. I was blown away by Batman Begins at the cinema, so much so I had to go and see it again to make sure that I wasn't just having an odd day the first time. I really enjoyed it the second time too - I'm not the kind of person who generally watches a film twice over in a short period of time.

When I watched it a third time at home, I still enjoyed it, but it's as you say, it gave diminishing returns. So much so that I don't want to watch it again after four viewings. Rises was great, but I don't want to watch it again. TDK I never really liked. Well I loved it, and then it went on for too long - it's a film that needs some serious editing. Actually, I think it suffers from the same issues that The Hobbit does - trying to get too much into a film to satisfy fans.

Inception was fantastic at the cinema, really dull at home and completely underwhelming. Memento was stunning the first time, good the second time, boring the third. Insomnia I never want to see again either.

So I'm with you on Nolan films. I think he's the new Tim Burton, making a big splash with big films and big ideas (only he's more technically competent than Burton), but the films don't stand up to scrutiny or multiple viewings. Having said all of that, I'd watch the Batman films more than I'd watch the Marvel ones :p

New Superman looks very good from the trailers, but I am a big fan of the original Richard Donner two. I don't know how it will pan out though; I've never been a fan of Superman as a comic book hero, for that it was Spiderman, Batman, Transformers and Jonny the Homicidal Maniac/Squee (written by the guy who came up with Invader Zim).

I've not seen the Spiderman reboot yet, but I liked the first two Raimi ones.

Anyway, watched Life or Pi last night. Would have loved to have seen it at the cinema, such a stunning film and would have been fantastic on the big screen. As it was, it was a really good effort to translate the book onto the screen. It fails at times where the CGI animals just aren't quite believable enough. It's frustrating as it drags you out of the reality a little, but then it's back to stunning and realistic.

Absolutely gorgeous film though and - much like the book - an interesting story. I'm not going to sing high praises for either the book or the film (though it's good to see something original for a change rather than cookie-cutter super hero flicks :p ), as they're just a good story well, told - but that's kind of the point :lol: 9/10 for the book and an 8/10 for the film.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Yeah, Nolan films are certainly better first time watches. The only Nolan film I was just as entertained the second time was Dark Knight. Rises irritated me the second time thanks to serious plot holes.

Nolan's are some of my favorite films for first time viewing ESPECIALLY Inception and Memento. Incredible the first time. Meh the second.

Ben

CF Legend
peep said:
I keep thinking back to the Dark Knight trilogy too and I'm starting to loathe Begins and Rises (I was never a massive fan of Rises anyway), I just think they're awful on repeat viewing. I think TDK is still good but no where near as good compared to the first few times I saw it. This isn't just for Dark Knight though, I find that all Nolan films are awful on repeat viewings. Shame.

Edward M said:
Yeah, Nolan films are certainly better first time watches. The only Nolan film I was just as entertained the second time was Dark Knight. Rises irritated me the second time thanks to serious plot holes.

Nolan's are some of my favorite films for first time viewing ESPECIALLY Inception and Memento. Incredible the first time. Meh the second.

tumblr_mm134aPXsh1r5yrrxo1_500.jpg