What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Bit of a classic for you here!

Casablanca

I can't (well I can really) believe I've never seen this film. It's got to be one of the most well known, well quoted films ever. I think that's maybe why I've always put off watching it.

Anyway, it's absolutely brilliant! Really, seriously superb. The fantastic witty undercurrent has you smiling quite often through it. The film is intense, twisting and touching - Even I had a tear in my eye at the end.

It's showing its age, but that's not such a bad thing to be honest - it's a blinding bit of film making even for its time.

One of those films everyone should watch at least once in their lives! Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant! 5/5

^ Is that the one "and this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship" or something?

I've ALWAYS wanted to watch Casablanca, but it looked confusing for some reason so I didn't end up watching it. Plus when I did actually try watching it, it was a library rental and was all scratched up. So basically what I'm asking is, would I get it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I was pretty drunk and got it - but I am exceptionally clever :p

Madame_Furie didn't quite get it, but she fell asleep several times :lol:

She did when I explained the bits she missed in the middle.

It's actually very straight forward story/plot wise, but emotionally it's a bit harder - but nothing you need to be Doctor Seuss to understand ;)

^ So is there less than like, 5 main characters, easy to differentiate between, and not too many like, side stories and whatnot?

Maybe I'll give it a watch.

Mark

Strata Poster
Just saw this and my jaw just simply dropped. I heard it was coming but didn't realise there was trailers (of sorts) already hitting things like comic-con. ANYWAYS, if it has been posted already I'm sorry I missed but I too damn hyped to go looking incase.

This is going to be bloody awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmFoKbkiJQ

mrclam

Giga Poster
PLCP said:
GI Joe.

Epic. 10/10.

I *hope* that was an attempt at irony

Saw "moon" on saturday.. was alreet.. nothing special.. but for a good old fashioned sci-fi yarn on a cheap budget is was watchable. Kinda reminded me of an outer limits episode.

Shame about the ending though

*insert meaningless number out of 10 here*

RCF

Strata Poster
(500) Days of Summer
9/10

Great movie, good plot, and a lot of good humor. Especially the part right before the beginning.

Rush

Giga Poster
On the way to America, we got this cool film library which let us choose from a HUGE selection of movies instead of about 6. You could also actually pause them so you could go for a piss without missing everything. (Which is good, for a plane.)

Anyway, first film I put on was Gladiator as I had the music for the piano and it sounded good. Unfortunately, the soundtrack is the only thing it has going for it, it was tripe. Incredibly boring and slow moving so I turned it after about 40 minutes. (No way was I watching the whole 2 hours.)

Big Disappointment, but I can't really rate it as I haven't seen it all.

Next film I watched was Jurassic Park. I had seen it before but I couldn't remember most of it. Anyway, I really enjoyed it, it seemed slow in some places but there was plenty of action and enough to kill the flight time.

8/10.

For the remainder of the flight I watched various shows such as The Inbetweeners, Scrubs, the Big Bang Theory and Peep Show. I was tempted to watch To Kill A Mockingbird, just to kill some time, but I wasn't going to be able to see all of it. :(

Not a film, but in New York we went to see Shrek the Musical on Broadway.

I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but Shrek 1&2 are two of my favourite films ever. (Though some members on here would disagree strongly.) Anyway, it was fantastic! It was definitely more of a more laid-back musical and family friendly unlike the other three I've seen. (Lion King, Wicked and Joseph (eurgh)) Most the songs were really good and the costumes and the set looked awesome! Seriously hilarious as well! I loved it and it looked like everyone in the audience did as well.

Definite 10/10.

Error

Strata Poster
Watched Coraline with my family a little while ago.

Firstly, I hate watching movies with my parents. My dad keeps asking stupid, stupid questions that were already answered and making bad jokes, and my mom falls asleep during any movie.

The movie itself, for being a claymation, was awesome. Certain elements seemed fake, like the water droplets, but that texture can't be beat by ANY CGI. The story was creative and pretty original, and the music was fantastic. My one, one problem is that the voice of the Coraline changes a few times, and sounded like she was from the Texas indeed of an hour away.

9/10, and a good movie to see.

^ OMG that's so sad, poor wittle Gingy <3

The musical actually looks pretty good though, I haven't seen or looked into it much until like, it was mentioned in this topic.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Yeah, some of the songs are hilarious, and they take the mick out of quite a few other shows, it's better than most Musicals from Films.

Mark

Strata Poster
Well since a dodgy hack cough and wheezy-ness has put a general stop to any decent sleep so far this week I have been working my way through some of my older stuff... Starting with...

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

This film was originally released when I was 15. Which I would say was their target audience> I absolutely loved it. I was a huge South Park fan and I thought this was brilliant. Had me laughing for weeks and back again to see it a second time and to the shop to buy the soundtrack. I always thought the middle section of the film lacked any good humour but the beginning and end certainly made up for it.

The question is, after ten years and a very different outlook on life, how would I enjoy this film now?

Ironically I still love it. It is pure unadulterated tripe. Complete toilet humour without any shame. But isn't that what made Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny so great in the first place. I watched it and was quite easily drawn back into the laughter all over again. Naturally, I have a frame of reference considering I was a teen in the whole South Park boom. It does make me wonder what the average 15 year old would think of the film these days?

One thing I noticed more then ever, now that I am older, is the subtle nods and parodies of other musical and Disneyesque films. I always thought the music was a direct parody of Disney, what with it being animated and it goes beyond just the music. Event he general plot line could be Disney, if it didn't involve quite so much swearing of course...

Overall, it would appear that 10 years on and this film still holds the appeal it had for me back then and in fact, it makes me want to catch up on the series, since I haven't seriously watched since season 5 or something. Team America came and went and I hated it, yet I can go back to South Park and still have a good laugh.

So all together now...
Weeeeelllllllllllllllll..... Kyles moms a.....

mrclam

Giga Poster
AMERICA FCK YEAH!!!

How can you not like that?

Both films start out great, and get a bit tiresome by the end though

Mark

Strata Poster
See I can still watch South Park right through and love it!

Team America I watched and just didn't get into it. Some mildy entertaining parts maybe. So I tried a second time... liked it even less... just sat rather perplexed by it all... third time I tried... no this really is totally ****...