What's new

"Now Showing"

John91

Mega Poster
I just saw Cloverfield on my lonesome, as all my mates ditched me. All I can say is WOW! It is like nothing I have ever seen before. I love how they didn't show the monster completely until the end, which kept it as a mystery all the way to the end.
10/10

Snoo

The Legend
The Edge.

1997 movie.. hadn't seen it but it really was a great story.. just seemed to be missing something.. 7/10

Ollie

CF Legend
John91 said:
I love how they didn't show the monster completely until the end, which kept it as a mystery all the way to the end.
10/10

No they didn't. They showed it several times throught the film. :?

John91

Mega Poster
Coaster Ollie said:
John91 said:
I love how they didn't show the monster completely until the end, which kept it as a mystery all the way to the end.
10/10

No they didn't. They showed it several times throughout the film. :?
I know they showed the monster, but it wasn't clearly shown until the helicopter rescues.

Smithy

Strata Poster
John91 said:
The Golden Compass. Hmm. What to say. My friends had all warned me to stay away from this film, but when my cousin dropped off a "Special" copy I thought I may as well watch. I wish I hadn't.
It is without a doubt the single worst film I have ever seen taking the mantel from Scary Movie 4 and Signs. I would warn anyone on earth never to watch this absolute drivel.

Shut up.

If you understood both the film, and the books behind it, you'd appreciate it more :p

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
I just got back from seeing Fools Gold and it was pretty good. A bit of a love story in it but some good treasure hunting action and I enjoyed it.

8.75/10

Haha, Valleyfair, that movie has gotten horrible reviews so far. Most papers around here rate it like one star, and the people on IMDB seem to think it's pretty crap, too.

I know I haven't seen it, but you mustn't be very picky when it comes to movies!

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I try not to put much stock into what the critics say. It usually comes out that I'm the opposite to what they say.

I haven't seen any movies lately, but my roommates and I are currently going through the Firefly series. We're through 5 so far and I really have nothing to complain about. Certainly the best media I've seen (out of TV, movies, etc) so far...

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Smithy said:
John91 said:
The Golden Compass. Hmm. What to say. My friends had all warned me to stay away from this film, but when my cousin dropped off a "Special" copy I thought I may as well watch. I wish I hadn't.
It is without a doubt the single worst film I have ever seen taking the mantel from Scary Movie 4 and Signs. I would warn anyone on earth never to watch this absolute drivel.

Shut up.

If you understood both the film, and the books behind it, you'd appreciate it more :p

Actually, having read and loved the novels (some of my favourites, unfortunately for this film) it made me dislike it more (albeit not *that* much).

Most of the film's problems stem from the length. It was FAR too short for what it was doing. Characters would have felt more developed (acting was much better than I thought it was going to be), story not as confusing (I'd *read* the books and I had no idea what was going on for the first 30 mins...) and then they cut out about 2/3 of the good stuff.

It felt so wasted when they only spent 10 mins inside the Bolvangar facility... and that ending! God, I hope the directors cut DVD at least gives it some closure, while leading on to the next...

It wasnt the worst book to film by far (See: Eragon) but WOW did they cock up royally in this one...

No taylor...

IMDB shows the average rating. So that means some people might have liked it as well.

Yeah, and if it has an average rating of like, four, that means that the majority of people disliked it, or thought it was worse than the average movie.

Silly Kim.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I know I haven't seen it, but you mustn't be very picky when it comes to movies!

I'm really not I enjoy most movies I see. (That are new.) It did have like a "D" from critics though.

kimahri

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
No taylor...

IMDB shows the average rating. So that means some people might have liked it as well.

Yeah, and if it has an average rating of like, four, that means that the majority of people disliked it, or thought it was worse than the average movie.

Silly Kim.

Still means that some people'll like it

Silly tay

John91

Mega Poster
Like dan has said, saw Juno earlier on and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The film is a good hearted laugh, really chilled out and a really good way to spend part of a Sunday afternoon.
Kinda glad I didn't see Cloverfield today, I'm way too tired for it lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Coaster Ollie said:
Just watched I Robot on channel 4.

Great film, and has reminded me of how much filming technology has evolved over the years.

Everything in the film is so shiny.

Mediocre film, but it sums up EVERYTHING which is dreadful about films nowadays. Filming technology means film-makers have become lazy, so all films end up shiny and bland.

nadroj123 said:
I finally finished watching Pan's Labyrinth, which is one of the most surreal films I've ever seen. It's like half war film, half weird scary fantasy thing, with some horror and swearing thrown in for good measure. It was good, just strange I guess.

Reviewed it a lot of pages back. I thought it was really "grabbing". It's everything that SHOULD be happening in the movie industry now. Using new filming techniques to create superb and believe worlds which you can lose yourself in for two hours and feel utterly engrossed in.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
Mehh, I have to disagree. The first fifteen minutes is amazing though, and apparantly it's the most accurate portrayal of what that battle was like. Chilling, really, but the rest I didn't find to be great.

I agree actually. The start was superb, and there were some excellent set pieces, but it had none of the guts and intensity of films like Apocalypse Now or Platoon...

Oooops... Forgot to add my recommendations :lol:

Saw Ratatouille on the way over to the Canary Isles. I have never been so let down by a film, ever. A bland Pixar film? So sad :(

They then had Rush Hour 3, which I was fortunately saved from by having the baby stab out my gonads with a very blunt, plastic spoon.

On the way back was The Bourne Yawntimatumemecy. Whatever the third bland film, in this pretty mindless series is called.

The first Bourne was adeptly made, and mildly intriguing. the second was brain at the door, great action film. The third was just leave your wallet at home and slam your head in the doors of a local bus - it's cheaper and less painful :)

Snoo

The Legend
furie said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Mehh, I have to disagree. The first fifteen minutes is amazing though, and apparantly it's the most accurate portrayal of what that battle was like. Chilling, really, but the rest I didn't find to be great.

I agree actually. The start was superb, and there were some excellent set pieces, but it had none of the guts and intensity of films like Apocalypse Now or Platoon...

I enjoyed the story much more then the battle. Platoon and Apocalypse Now just seemed like.. 300 to be honest. Those films just never keep me interested past the blood and gore.

SPR kept an even balance, telling the story of the war, the soldiers, and the relationships between the men.

Plus, Taylors thoughts on any movie should be disregarded.. :lol:

Haha, actually Snoo, many people who I know who have seen it think the same as I do. I'm very interested in the war, and I think war movies are pretty interesting, but this one wasn't really that great. Same with Black Hawk Down, didn't really like that one either.

Watching the original Willy Wonka right now, even though I've seen it a zillion times before. Still remains one of my favourite movies!<3

Many people like who.. 15 year old Canadians like you?

Trustworthy sources right there..

Nope.

We've watched this movie like, every year since grade six (yeah it's heavy material for a twelve year old but our teacher was really into the wars), and every teacher I've had since then has said that they dislike the rest of the film.

I haven't exactly asked my peer's opinions on it, so I dunno if they like it or not. It's just my personal opinion, and I know a lot of people agree with it.