What's new

"Now Showing"

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^And National Treasure was SO much better than the Da Vinci Code film whilst being a kind of pulpy American version of it. I'll be there for the sequel.

Just got back from No Country For Old Men, which is clearly Oscar bait. It's not the best Coen brothers film, but it's better than their recent ones The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty.

The script is very good at times, the Coens know how to make a film, and they add really good tone and texture. Plus the acting is great (Javier Bardem is a scary man, and Kelly MacDonald where did THAT come from!).

They're trying to make it high-brow by mixing in various observations on chance, fate, decisions, greed, cruelty etc. But it's just a melange of ideas that never really coheres into an articulate commentary.

So, well made, good to watch, too long and ultimately a bit pointless.

6.5/10

(Weirdly, along with Cloverfield it's the second film I've seen this week with no soundtrack!)

peep

CF Legend
Slayed said:
(Weirdly, along with Cloverfield it's the second film I've seen this week with no soundtrack!)

It must be another one of those "no buses come for ages then two come at the same time" situations :p

Anyways just finished watching a film on Channel 4 called The wackiest ship in the Army (1960). The film stars Jack Lemmon who is made captain of a really cripe ship with a crew who know nothing about sailing. I found it rather amusing and the jokes hadn't aged with the film. The film lasted about 2 hours yet seemed only like 1, which was nice. The effects, unlike the jokes had dated badly but in a way made the film more amusing to watch.

Nice film to relax to, 3/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I'm in on the Cloverfield gang now! :)

I thought it was... Well, it passed an hour of my life anyway.

It was mildly annoying, positively exciting at times, and overall possibly the best monster/disaster movie ever. It's such a shame I felt so queasy! :lol:

I certainly enjoyed the way it was made, it was very interesting and effective. I'm not sure if it was actually all THAT good though. 3 or 4 /5 :)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Went to see Kautiokeino-opprøret with my class today (the English title would be something like ''The revolt in Kautokeino''), and I think it was a brilliant film, maybe the best Norwegian movie since Pinchcliffe Grand Prix. Good actors, good story (based on a real story without Hollywooding it). No special effects, but who cares? It's a film about a sami rebellion in the town of Kautokeino, and the events prior to it. Horrible ending, but that is part of the story. Only letdown is that the people are too split in 'good' or 'bad' groups.

8/10

Ollie

CF Legend
furie said:
Well, I'm in on the Cloverfield gang now! :) I'm not sure if it was actually all THAT good though. 3 or 4 /5 :)

Well if that didn't please you I don't know what will. ;)

Anyway... I saw Alien 3 Directors cut last night, and it's still really good.
If you havn't seen Alien 3 yet make sure you watch the Directos cut as thats the best version.

8/10. :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Coaster Ollie said:
Well if that didn't please you I don't know what will. ;)

I am notoriously difficult to please... The thing is, there isn't much to the film. If it had been filmed "traditionally", it would have been tripe. The only thing which made it good, was the fact that the filming technique made it different and 'interesting'.

At points, it works fantastically, at others, it was clearly just being used as a gimmick (like in the tunnels). So it was all a bit of a mix really - overall though, it's a one trick pony...

peep

CF Legend
Coaster Ollie said:

That film looks terrible, I doubt I will be spending money on seeing that.

Anyways back on topic...

I just watched Paris, je t'aime with me sis. I do like this film made up of a collection of short films. Its very enjoyable, uber random at parts (especially the one with Elijah Wood) and the cast & director list is amazing (I can't be bothered to list names now so go check it out on imdb.com). I think my favorite of the shorts is the one with the elderly couple in this cafe/restaurant discussing their divorce, very amusing. Very beautiful film, 4/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally saw 'I am legend' last night. It's not a bad film. It certainly has some great moments - as a complete 'package' though, it's lacking. It's all a bit 'lite' and never really digs in.

3/5

neo

Mega Poster
I've always had a thing for cult movies, recently I managed to increase the list of "sort of known, but unknown" movies that I have seen. With:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This about sums up the cult movie for me. A film that is relitively old, and that you've heard of before, but never actually seen. When you finally see it, you can see why people like it so much.

Some of the gags in The Rocky Horror Picture Show did seem a little off at the begining. But as the story develops you come to enjoy them. Those timeless numbers, really do get you going. In the end, it delivers a funny, complete, adventurous, peice of impressive entertainment.

While it does have its floors, its not without eccentricity. Which almost makes up for it. I can definately see why they tributed the RHPS last Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Orlando. Its legendary.

Dam!t! Janet, I like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. 4/5 8)

Tony

Hyper Poster
Well I finally saw "Superbad" for the 1st time last Sunday night after hearing "OMG it's so funny....best comedy ever!!!" from allot of people and what can I say.

It was completely ****. Barely funny and the small funny bits in the film (which there wasn't much off) are just ruined by the long drawn out boring film with a crap story.

It was a huge disappointment and I just couldn't wait until the piece of **** was over so I could go to bed.

4/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tony said:
Well I finally saw "Superbad" for the 1st time last Sunday night after hearing "oh my giddy-aunt it's so funny....best comedy ever!!!" from allot of people and what can I say.

See, I've heard lots of people say that it's a shame, they show all the funniest bits in the trailer, so it ruins the film. Having watched the trailer and found it not even in the vaguest bit amusing, it really doesn't bode well for the rest of the film :lol:

Watched 'Surfs Up' tonight. Penguins, CGI, rubbish!

10,000 B.C. looks amazing in terms of graphics, but I'm not sure as to what the storyline is. Like a lot of recent films, I think that the visuals will be what gets it a high rating rather than the quality of the story itself.

Watched Tokyo Drift at school today becuase one of our teachers was absent, and it's not my kind of movie so I won't even bother rating it. I wasn't on the edge of my seat, and Tokyo car racing gangs don't really interest me in the slightest.

Ben

CF Legend
Oh my days, went to see Sweeny Todd last night.

****ing brilliant.

What the Hell happened to Helena? How is she now good?

And how much did I love the ending?

And how typically Burton was it, and therefore how awesome was it?

Did not disappoint at all, freakin' adored it.

I have to see Sweeney Todd now considering all of the raving reviews it's getting. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD though.

Finished Tokyo Drift, and honestly, it was a predictable piece of crap. However, for the first time ever, the car racing scenes were actually semi-interesting, though I'm usually not into car races. The movie itself was pretty poorly done though.

I guess I'll rate it. It gets a 5.5/10

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Sweeney Todd is absolutley amazing. It's great to see movies like that, it's hard to find dead good musicals on the big screen nowadays, it's a shame. But it seriously is incredible. I might go see it again today actually.

I just saw Cloverfield too, and thought it was abolsultye outstanding. An amazing film. I've got to see it again in the cinema, because it won't be the same watching it on the TV. Me and my friend were watching P.S.I Love You, another good film, in the screen next to Cloverfield, and the whole theatre was rumbling all the time! It was a pain, but funny.

I'm hopefully going to see National Treasure: Book Of Secrets today. I think it looks good, just the whole Book Of Secrets idea sounds a bit cheesy, but hopefully it'll be good.

Me and my friend were watching P.S.I Love You, another good film, in the screen next to Cloverfield, and the whole theatre was rumbling all the time! It was a pain, but funny.

Like I said in a previous post quite a few pages back, when I went to see the Bucket List, all we heard was banging coming from the other theatre. It was actually extremely annoying, and I think that they need to sort something out with it because when you're in a movie theatre, you don't want to hear the noises from the other theatres.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just watched I Robot on channel 4.

Great film, and has reminded me of how much filming technology has evolved over the years.

Everything in the film is so shiny.

Anyway, if you havn't seen it before, where have you been? :?

A few years on and this film still gets a 10/10 from me. :D