What's new

"Now Showing"

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
Went to see Toy Story 3 3D Last Night, 8/10, dissapointed beacause 3d doesnt realy add to the experience, Hewever not a bad movie and well worth every year wating for this sequel, funny + Sereous at the same time, go and see it..

kimahri

CF Legend
Just watched Iron Man on Sky+. It was cool actually. I enjoyed it, might get it and the second one on bluray or sommat later.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Saw Toy Story 3 over the weekend. To put it bluntly, I've been looking forward to this for ages, I can still remember watching the first one in 1996, and I still watch it to this day (along with the second too).

As a kids animated film, definitely 10/10, but as a Toy Story film, 8/10.

It was amazing, and hilarius, especially Hamm's one liners, and spanish Buzz. However, for me, it was too sad and despressing. there were just too many sad scenes, and they shouldn't have finished the film with one, as your left to leave feeling a bit down. It should have been a funny scene at the end, showing all the toys in there new home etc.

Disney/Pixar are amazing, but it seems they're now fixed on sad films (I've heard Up is very depressing too).

Maybe its just me, I dunno. Maybe I'll go see it again....

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
Martyn B said:
Disney/Pixar are amazing, but it seems they're now fixed on sad films (I've heard Up is very depressing too).

Up is OK, it just feels that all the way through this movie could be Better, and you shouldnt come out of a pixar movie and think that, it should be 10/10 or nothing. Up is very Depressing but it is quite funny at the same time, obviously the story board directors are depressed :--D

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
However, for me, it was too sad and despressing. there were just too many sad scenes, and they shouldn't have finished the film with one, as your left to leave feeling a bit down. It should have been a funny scene at the end, showing all the toys in there new home etc.

Wait... whaaaat.

Have you ever seen Finding Nemo or the lion king.. or Bambi?? Its how films work.. you have sad bits you have happy bits. Up had just the one really sad scene towards the beginning, and Toy Story 3 didnt really have any more sadder bits than other films.

Plus, did you see a different ending to the film I saw? The ending I watched was exactly what you said.. all the toys happy in a new home?

I appreciated TS3, it was a lot more grown up compared to the previous two, and I think it managed to cater well for both new audiences and the old one.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I agree.

And am I the only person who didn't find the beginning of Up! sad, but found the ending very tearful indeed? Well, I felt the ending was so good, and really happy, that I cried like a pussy...

This shouldn't really fit here as it is political, but heck hole, I'll make it as it's film-based:

You may have heard about the UK Film Council being scrapped by the Government. I'm ****ing outraged. It costs the government only £15 million to operate as it is funded heavily by lottery funding, and they go scrap it?

Ok, it may not be the most "needed" of sectors (Heath and Education come first blah, blah..), but when it profits from £5 for every £1 put into it, why should such an important institution for the UK film industry be simply removed with little or no sense?! UK Film output is at it's highest ever and this is predominately due to the UKFC.

The UKFC has supported hundreds of great British films, established and reinforced waves of UK talent in both film-making and acting talent - Kiera Knightly and Shane Meadows for example. The decision has no logic, has little support from backbenchers, nor does it posses any future stability for the UK film industry. I'm quite angry and appalled.

[/rant]

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
And am I the only person who didn't find the beginning of Up! sad...

You sir, are a cold heartless son of a bitch...

Seriously... One of the most heart-wrenching scenes in Pixar's history that was... Absolutely love and hate them for it...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ok, so maybe it was "sad", but it wasn't emotional at all for me really. I can't explain it, I just knew that it was supposed to be sad, but I found no emotion through it. Perhaps it was too quickly into the film where I had no character emotional bond? I dunno.

Anyway, I've seen 2 films over the last few days, so let's update you:

I watched Never Been Kissed the other day when it was on TV. Nothing special - just a standard rom-com-drama with no actual comedy. It wasn't awful, but it certainly needed something. It wasn't so bad that I turned it off, but I could predict it all too well due to the massive clichés...

6/10

And tonight I watched a relatively unknown film called Mr Nobody. It was very, very good. Beautifully shot and told at many points throughout, a slightly confusing film but all is cleared up in the end, and if I may say so, the 3 younger actresses who played the 15/16 year old girls the protagonist falls in love with were quite hot <3

It was just one of the films that makes you feel all warm and bubbly inside, a little charmer of a film which I would love to watch over and over.

Highly recommended, though I don't think it has come out in the UK yet, which is a real shame.

9/10

peep

CF Legend
Watched Toy Story 3 again on Sunday, this time in 2D.

Still think it's absolutely amazing, just everything about it is perfect.

Rating: 5/5

Then last night after work I watched another two films at the cinema. First up, The Rebound.

It's a rom-com with the guy no-one knows the name of from National Treasure and Katherine Zeta Jones. I thought the film looked quite bad and tbh the intro is just random and very poor yet as the film goes on I found myself enjoying the film and actually laughing from time to time. Overall the film isn't great but it's good for a light-hearted evening out/in.

Rating: 3/5

Then I went to see Le Concert

A new French film I hadn't seen any trailers for so I had no idea what I was going to see lol. However I was pleasantly surprised, the story is good and the final piece is beautiful. The story is about a Russian conductor who was stopped mid-performance 30 years ago, ruining his career and splitting up his orchestra. He then finds his chance to get most of his orchestra back together to finish off playing his favourite piece at a grand venue in Paris. There is also another plot running along with it but that's all I want to say, don't want to give too much of the film away (not like anyone on here will see it anyway). But it is a fantastic film, really well made and some great performances.

Rating: 4.5/5

Martyn B

CF Legend
Crazycoaster said:
Martyn B said:
However, for me, it was too sad and despressing. there were just too many sad scenes, and they shouldn't have finished the film with one, as your left to leave feeling a bit down. It should have been a funny scene at the end, showing all the toys in there new home etc.

Wait... whaaaat.

Have you ever seen Finding Nemo or the lion king.. or Bambi?? Its how films work.. you have sad bits you have happy bits. Up had just the one really sad scene towards the beginning, and Toy Story 3 didnt really have any more sadder bits than other films.

Yeah I've seen them, and they only have like one proper sad scene in them (Nemo doesn't even have any?).

Maybe its just because I'm too fixed on the first 2 TS films, which dont have any sad scenes really, they're laughs and adventure all the way.

And I probably felt a little down because they say its the last TS film....

Error

Strata Poster
Dr. Strangelove (Or: How I learned to stop worrying and Love the bomb)

This is an older movie (1960, I think), and shows what it would be like if, say, some general ****ed up and ordered a massive nuclear bombing.

The characters are multi-dimensional, going through some changes in the story, as well as some just losing their minds. It showed just how ridiculous the cold war was (and this was 30 years before the governments figured that out), and how some people just wanted it over.

I really loved two characters: The Pilot of the bomber, someone I'd call a typical texan, and who eventually rode a warhead (I think on accident, but enjoyed it). And also Dr. Strangelove, who is just bizarre and funny as hell.

Overall, it's a classic movie, but it's more for those who like good cinema rather than action and special effects.

9/10

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I watched The Deer Hunter last night. What a fantastic film!

I've never been convinced by De Niro, i'm not his biggest fan, but he was good in that. It was a superb support cast that made the movie what it was though, fronted by a brilliant Christopher Walken. Its extremely emotional though, much more than I was expecting, and despite being over 3 hours long, it really didn't drag that much. There's some fantastic settings in there too, beautifully shot. While a lot of the stuff dealing with the Vietnam war has been subject to speculation on its authenticity, especially the Russian Roulette scenes, its so iconic now. Brilliant film. 9/10.

kimahri

CF Legend
So yeah, Inception...

Holy ****ing ****!!!!

Spoiler free I hope.

Awesome. I don't think I've ever smiled in anticipation for a scene in a movie before as well! I agree with my mam that I thought it would make much sence and I'd need mutiple viewings to get it but it just clicked together by the end.

Before and through out the movie I started making connections to other movies but they were all thrown out to little inspired idea's and stuff but by the ending, there is one thing I can connect it to and say alot with out spoiling it (unlike Ollie).

This is something I've recently started to appriciate. The Ending is like Killer 7, the only thing I could really compair this movie to, it's really open and it hits to both posibilities equally... which is good and I really hope they actually don't make a sequal because of it.

So yeah, it was awesome just like Killer 7

peep

CF Legend
Last night I went to the cinema again. First up was Leaving.

Didn't really know much about this film before going in. I had seen a trailer ages ago but couldn't really remember it. I was hoping for another pleasant surprise like I got with Le Concert but unfortunately this time I was to be disappointed. The acting was good but the story didn't really captivate me (it's all about an affair and then how the husband forces his wife to come back to him). I just didn't enjoy the film and for the first time in ages I kept thinking about when it was going to end. So yeah, I recommend people don't see this film.

Rating: 2/5

Then I saw Splice.

I heard that this did really well with the critics when shown at festivals but I hadn't really read into it. I also didn't realise that Del Toro was an exec producer on it. So what did I think of it? I thought it was mental but excellent. It's just so sick and twisted (especially the last 30 mins) but it is very entertaining and intriguing throughout. It may have been better if there was more back-story on some of the characters but it may have made it a bit boring, who knows. Anyway it is a very interesting and very original film that I'd recommend to people who like films about random scientific experiments.

Rating: 4/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I went to see 3 films at the cinema today:

First up was Splice. I was unsure as to what to expect of this film - I anticipated a slightly jump sci-fi blood fest with the creature going on a mad killing spree, but it wasn't quite like that. It was weird, it was at times very "WTF?". But it was very enjoyable and seemed like another film in that creepy sci-fi category.

A nice 7/10

Straight after it was The A Team. I have never seen the TV show, but I knew it was action based and knew about the characters. I wasn't expecting it to be up my street or indeed any goods, but I was very suporised. Well executed, packed full of action, comedy and sillyness and the 2 hours flew by. Surprisingly good, if a bit lacklustre in the storyline.

7/10

I then went and saw Inception for the second time. Just as good as the first time, and the reactions of people this time around was much better and very funny to watch. Such a brilliant film, well worth a second watch.

10/10 (Still)

peep

CF Legend
Saw just one film today lol...A-Team

Best casting ever! The direction at times is a little off but it's written very well, highly amusing and the cast, well, they are epic. The film is constantly moving, always with another excellent action scene or amusing line round the corner. It's just so enjoyable from start to finish and I highly recommend to all.

Rating: 4.5/5

Error

Strata Poster
Inception

I'm going to keep it brief since EVERYONE has seen it:

BUT HOLY ****ING **** TACOS.

It's awesome, go see it, now. It's now my favorite movie.

10/10

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I would rate A-Team if it made any sense after missing the plot from being destracted by the audio being completely ****ed.

The cast was epic though. They were great to see in person too.

Ben

CF Legend
Toy Story 3 sucked. It really did.

Shoulda gone to see Inception again.

I was FORCED to be fair. And it was awful.